Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 10:14 PM

687 posts, read 1,119,728 times

Advertisements

Most leaves just change from green to brown and die and after living in the Valley, L.A. proper and Ventura County I would say most of what determines if a place is a good place to raise kids has to do with "who" is raising the kids along with living in a safe area. Wealthy areas with great schools do not necessarily mean that kids are being raised right or well for that matter. I still believe that living more modestly with the mom being able to stay home to raise her own children is the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2010, 07:21 PM

313 posts, read 1,149,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
L.A. was ranked the #2 least friendly city in the US. Just an FYI and I agree with it. I was born and raised here. I hold open doors for people and most don't even notice. I rarely see people do that for my 87 year old grandmother. People here have horrible road rage and cut you off/tailgate you. I was just in Nashville (which was ranked #1 friendliest city) and people waved to me in their cars. I was at a grocery store and I ended up chatting with people for a long time. That never happens in LA because people are in such a hurry. It's such a busy city. The traffic is awful.

The #1 reason I am leaving LA is because I don't believe this a good place to raise a family. I wouldn't feel safe having my children play in the front yard without my supervision. The schools aren't good. The cost of living is outrageous. It's too liberal for me.

Things I DO like about L.A: Great food is always available. We have fabulous restaurants. The weather is nice, but not diverse enough. I personally would love to see the leaves change in the fall. Weather is pretty predictable. Fires in the fall and rain in Jan/Feb. It's a very diverse city. I grew up in LA and have a wide range of friends from Japanese, African American, Korean, Hispanic, etc... People are tolerant of other races. There's a lot to do, but if people don't have the money...well, it's kinda useless!

The middle class is fleeing. If you have money it isn't a bad place to live, but like I said, I wouldn't raise kids here.

There are a lot of great places in So Cal (specifically cities in the OC) to raise a family, but the cost of living down there is worse than LA.
I agree with the above post....I am a displaced Southerner trying to raise kids with good core values...and finding it very challenging....after 4 yrs already...tried to find a faith based area where at least folks are on the same page....and even that it has been a challenge. There is even a disconnect in that to some degree. Everyone seems ready to sell their soul for whatever is the popular So Cal thing....and these are parents most of the time. Pretty scary.

And I live in Oak Park.

There are nice folks here....just seems that connecting isnt their strong suit...and it is a rare find when you happen to come upon a truly nice person. Good, grounded folks are under the radar here....so there is hope, it just takes awhile.

Old 03-21-2010, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnergrl View Post
I agree with the above post....I am a displaced Southerner trying to raise kids with good core values...and finding it very challenging....after 4 yrs already...tried to find a faith based area where at least folks are on the same page....and even that it has been a challenge. There is even a disconnect in that to some degree. Everyone seems ready to sell their soul for whatever is the popular So Cal thing....and these are parents most of the time. Pretty scary.

And I live in Oak Park.

There are nice folks here....just seems that connecting isnt their strong suit...and it is a rare find when you happen to come upon a truly nice person. Good, grounded folks are under the radar here....so there is hope, it just takes awhile.
Very familiar with Oak Park. I use to call it the Stepford neighborhood where I lived or where just about everyone lives. Spending beyond their means to keep up with the Jones'. Don't know if that is the case so much anymore. Lack of work, poor economy and foreclosure can be a big equalizer and wake up call as to what is really important in life. The older areas are more down to earth compared to the Deerhill Park area and above where all the newer developments are. Use to be that the Montego's were a big deal to own until the Regency's and the Chambord's came along. What a rip off.

Old 03-21-2010, 07:30 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnergrl View Post
I .just seems that connecting isnt their strong suit...
There may be other, more tangible reasons if this is the case. Could be the stress of traffic, the economy, the CA state financial situation, high housing costs, and two income families. I'd bet people everywhere in the US aren't on their best behavior lately; it been a tough couple years for a lot of people.

Old 03-21-2010, 10:30 PM

313 posts, read 1,149,139 times
when times are bad is when one would most likely need to connect....even though they may feel compelled not to for whatever reasons.

And Charles...I live in an established area of OP...most people around here have been here 20 yrs or more since the area was developed...so there hasnt been too many foreclosures in my neck of woods. Maybe up in Chambord/Regency where there are million dollar homes...there might be more of that going on. Seems like I missed the neighborhood connection by about 20 yrs....everyone keeps to themselves only truly engaging in indepth connections with other old timers.

If the OP poster is still following this, Op is taking out of district students...up to a third of the student population is now out of district....they didnt have a achoice....more students, more money for the schools. The students seem to mostly be from surrounding areas (TO, Agoura, WLV, Simi, even heard of some from West Hills which would be a hike) OP schools are ranked either 1st or 2nd highest in the state. We have had great experience with Brookside ( the oldest of the 3 elem)....teachers are seasoned and not much turnover at all. Parents pretty active. It isnt very diverse...mostly white with a handful of asian, middle eastern types...we have maybe 3-4 black kids in the whole school of around 450 kids. Mydaughter happens to be friends with one of them ( personally I know it has been hard for this little girl). We do have a heavy Jewish population...I think 60percent.

Last edited by runnergrl; 03-21-2010 at 11:06 PM..

Old 03-23-2010, 10:38 AM

Brookside is a very good school.

Old 07-01-2010, 06:11 PM

2 posts, read 2,988 times
i would move to compton

Old 07-01-2010, 07:08 PM

3 posts, read 6,276 times
You are completely clueless. LA is a **** place to raise children you idiot. With 1940's era education standards, crap schools, world wide notoriety for crime, gang activity, pollution and arrogance, LA would have to be the last place in the world i would raise kids. Growing up in Australia was total paradise compared to LA. I would have to say people in this city are the most obnoxious ignorant ****-eyed wankers i have ever seen, everything apparently from the hotdogs to the gangbangers to the beaches are "the best in the world" (which i assure you - they are NOT) yet no one i've ever met has ever been overseas, lived in another country or travelled outside of USA-Mexico, so really dont have a f****** clue. want real world advice, get out of LA, its a ****hole of massive proportions. San Diego on the other hand could be a different conversation.

Old 07-02-2010, 10:50 AM

1 posts, read 1,774 times
Yes, we can raise good kids in Southern California, or anywhere really, as long as we pay close attention, share mutual respect, and stay involved and connected (to our kids), b/c even the finest of neighborhoods and schools will have challenges with drugs, cliques, and crime. If you're thinking public school, perhaps you may wish to start by researching which ones ranked high, and purchasing a home close by. As far as education though, if you have the means, I would suggest - without hesitation - private school. Some nice areas to live on the westside are north of Wilshire in Santa Monica, Brentwood, Westwood, and Pacific Palisades.

I'm a single parent with a son who is now 28 and a fine man. When he was young, we lived in a rough neighborhood so I applied for a permit so he could attend a good public school close to my office. When he became a teen, he and I moved to a small rental in a really good area so he could continue attending good public junior high and high schools. He made life-long friends who always had more than we (like a house!), but it seemed to drive him to want more for himself. He was never the best student- just wasn't crazy about school - but I got him a tutor and it helped (public schools do fall short), he went off to a 4-year state school, graduated, got a good job, and went back for his masters. He's a good person in the world (kind and generous), has a good job, drives what he calls his "dream car," lives in a much nicer home than I do, and is a good son.

Old 07-04-2010, 10:31 PM

1,851 posts, read 3,399,962 times
There are good parts and bad parts of Southern California. Raising children has more to do with the parents than the state/county one lives in. It's about your values and morals as parents. These traits follow you wherever you live.

Last edited by Jaded; 07-04-2010 at 10:32 PM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles