Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2007, 07:49 PM

88 posts, read 726,309 times

Advertisements

Hey im a freshman college student from minneapolis, mn looking to move to LA during the middle of the summer. I was looking at attending some two year community colleges to see if LA is a place i can handle being in for the next 4-5 years. I was thinking these areas:

west LA
west Hollywood
Brentwood
Westwood
Santa Monica
South Bay
Orange County(costa mesa, laguna beach, huntingbeach...)

if anything i just wanna know the pros and cons of the cities regarding jobs, lifestyle, so on so forth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2007, 09:01 PM

683 posts, read 4,616,394 times
I can't give you details about all of these places, but I can tell you that I lived in Costa Mesa as a college student for 5 years. Orange County is a great place to be. It's cleaner and more safe (well, the places you listed at least). Orange Coast College is the community college in Costa Mesa. I've had friends attend there...I'm not sure how it compares...but it's a community college, you know. Costa Mesa is good because you are 5 minutes from the beach, 15 from Disneyland and a bunch of other places. I have a few friends that came from MN to Costa Mesa and loved it. That's my two cents! Good luck wherever you choose!

Old 03-02-2007, 12:12 AM

208 posts, read 979,698 times
i'd say you are best off in the south bay. i've got tons of info on my site (southbaychat.com) - for me at least, people in the south bay are nicer and more accepting than other parts of LA area

Old 03-02-2007, 07:32 AM

80 posts, read 477,447 times
Santa Monica College has a good reputation, is affordable (although Santa Monica and the surrounding areas are expensive)....many students from SMC end up transfering to UCLA.

Old 03-02-2007, 07:47 AM

1,225 posts, read 4,921,563 times
I would suggest looking at Palomar Community College in San Marcos. It is a very nice campus in North San Diego County. You can still hang at the beach, if you don't have to work. I think the San Diego is way nicer than LA. My daughter has been attending Palomar, a 2 year institution, for the last 6 years
BTW-unless you're an illegal alien from Mexico, you're going to pay huge fees. You might consider living and working for a year to gain residency status.

Old 03-02-2007, 09:31 AM

102 posts, read 622,103 times
Hey, I live in the Minneapolis metro. I can't tell you anything about California. I was just looking at warm places because we are in the middle of a huge snowstorm right now. At my house, the snow is very high. There is a 40+ inch snow drift on my deck. The regular parts of the snow is probably 2 feet, but it's still snowing. I wouldn't mind going to California myself, but I'm still in high school.

Old 03-02-2007, 06:01 PM

65 posts, read 245,874 times
You're cute,
those area you named are the most expensive in LA.
There are junior colleges all over, I agree with the poster who said to check out Orange County. From what I understand also expensive, but nice.
I think you'd have an absolute blast in San diego.

Good luck

Old 03-02-2007, 08:31 PM

989 posts, read 5,924,655 times
Check out Orange County! ( I can tell you're not thrilled about LA) Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Irvine, and Costa Mesa are excellent options for students.

_UCI_4 year state school_Irvine
_Irvine Valley College_community college_Irvine
_Orange Coast College_community college_Costa Mesa
_Goldenwest College_community college-Huntington Beach

As far as pros and cons: LA has the most to do, but it also has the worst traffic, crime, gangs, and is eroding in it's shoes from illegals. OC has less of the "celebrity aspect" and it's more centered around the beaches. San Diego is another decent option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles