Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2007, 11:20 PM

2 posts, read 41,512 times

Advertisements

I've been in Los Angeles (Well, Burbank, Glendale, Studio City Area) for the last 4 years moving from the midwest. My father is now out here (living with me for right now until we can find him a place. The sooner the better).

He is retired, and on a low, fixed income. We have found a handful of senior 55+ active adult communities over 50 miles outside of LA, but they all have LONG waitings lists, if they are any where near affordable. He's also a Veteran and going to the VA hospital for classes and doctor appoints about 3 to 4 days a week right now in Santa Monica. (But this should be reduced to 1 to 2 days a week in a few months). So the 50 miles is also a slight problem right now.

So, besides looking of an adult community, we are also looking just for an apartment (in a good neighboorhood) with a short term lease, 6 months/less or a month to month. That he could live in until the waiting list comes though.

He could be fine in a VERY SMALL place, in studio/single as long as it had a small fridge and a hot plate, and his own bathroom. First floor, elevator, or no more than 5 stairs is a must. And, I know, I'm dreaming, but seriously, not more than like $700 bucks a month. And roommates are just not a possibility with him.

I've looked at Craigslist, I have a westsiderentals membership, I've looked at the recycler.com and have found nothing.

How do older people actually LIVE in the LA area on a fixed income? Any resources for someone that is 59 years old? ANY help would be great. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2007, 07:32 AM

1,749 posts, read 8,338,965 times
I just had a look at Craigslist for cheap apartments and capped it at 750 and there are a ton of them including Glendale, Encino, Mid-Wilshire, Long Beach East Arts District...have a look:
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/search/apa?maxAsk=750

59 isn't old, if he doesn't like to drive, find him a place near public transportation. Mid-Wilshire fits the bill for that. Lots of choices...there's even a guest house in South Pas for 700, studio in Pasadena....

Old 03-11-2007, 08:21 AM

2,071 posts, read 12,017,961 times
Try Brethen <sp?> Manor in Long Beach. They have studio apartments for single people, and one bedrooms for a couple. Rents, I believe, are on a sliding schedule. The VA in LB is not far from Brethen. My friend's mother lived there and they were very happy with the facility. This is not a "nursing home" - it's a 55+ plus group.

Old 03-16-2007, 02:13 PM

31 posts, read 329,637 times
Might also try Whittier or Santa Fe Springs. My mom was lucky and got into a city-subsidized complex that was just being built in SFS. It's actually very nice.

But otherwise, yeah, you have to get on the waiting list for a few years. You could put his name on some lists, and rent for a few years in the meantime. Here ya go, try this organization (seems that the Southern California Housing Development Corp. merged with another): http://www.schdc.org/

Good luck, I know this is not a fun exercise.

Old 03-25-2007, 08:56 AM

2 posts, read 41,512 times
Thanks everyone for the help. I'll take a look at all of it. We've been putting his name on every waiting list we come across, hoping for something.

Thanks again.

Old 04-28-2008, 09:03 AM

4 posts, read 24,642 times
I'm having the same problem with my senior mother. She's living with me now in Sherman Oaks and I want to move to Atlanta. She too is on a fixed income and I can't find an apt. for her under $1,200/month and these are sub-standard. LA is really only for the rich and doesn't care about their seniors.

Old 04-28-2008, 09:54 AM

5,113 posts, read 19,766,781 times
every city in california is required to have retirement housing from my understanding. as far as availability, i dont know.

honestly, i would look at leisure world in seal beach. the VA hospital is less than 10minutes away and the prices are reasonable

Old 04-28-2008, 10:15 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boblume View Post
LA is really only for the rich and doesn't care about their seniors.
What exactly do expect LA (meaning the taxpayers who saved for their retirement and payed taxes) do to?

Old 04-28-2008, 12:08 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,666,667 times
most cities, including the smaller ones will have 5/6 story buildings for retirees. some of these are strictly sec 8, others partially. one of my mothers friends got into this new nice 5 story building with a view of DownTown(5 miles away, but a view on a clear day none the less).
best bet would be to find a nice area that suits your father and ask around, call city hall (for smaller cities), or a housing services office, but be specific about what you want. maybe try getting him into fed programs...tho there might be some age restrictions, unless hes disabled, then it just might be easier. but ask around and good luck.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:06 PM

15 posts, read 100,997 times
Default Hope this helps

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergus80 View Post
I've been in Los Angeles (Well, Burbank, Glendale, Studio City Area) for the last 4 years moving from the midwest. My father is now out here (living with me for right now until we can find him a place. The sooner the better).

He is retired, and on a low, fixed income. We have found a handful of senior 55+ active adult communities over 50 miles outside of LA, but they all have LONG waitings lists, if they are any where near affordable. He's also a Veteran and going to the VA hospital for classes and doctor appoints about 3 to 4 days a week right now in Santa Monica. (But this should be reduced to 1 to 2 days a week in a few months). So the 50 miles is also a slight problem right now.

So, besides looking of an adult community, we are also looking just for an apartment (in a good neighboorhood) with a short term lease, 6 months/less or a month to month. That he could live in until the waiting list comes though.

He could be fine in a VERY SMALL place, in studio/single as long as it had a small fridge and a hot plate, and his own bathroom. First floor, elevator, or no more than 5 stairs is a must. And, I know, I'm dreaming, but seriously, not more than like $700 bucks a month. And roommates are just not a possibility with him.

I've looked at Craigslist, I have a westsiderentals membership, I've looked at the recycler.com and have found nothing.

How do older people actually LIVE in the LA area on a fixed income? Any resources for someone that is 59 years old? ANY help would be great. Thanks!
My husband & I have been living in a one bedroom apartment that is city owned and is 55+ for @ least one of the tenants. It's just under $800/mo now & is rent controlled. We've been here over a year. The first year was tough because they had a bad cockroach problem & we keep our place clean & stored in ziploc's or tupperware type containers. The do raise the rent 4% a year. We have two parking spots in a "secured" gated parking lot & another key to get into the building. The same key opens the gate by the street if you're walking into the parking lot. It has an elevator & is three stories high. One side faces a neighborhood & the back side faces the backs of Denny's & a strip mall which isn't nice. The laundry room has three front loading machines and dryers for $1.25 to wash, (38 minutes) & $1.00 to dry for an hour. The laundry room is clean. It has a soda machine in there as well. There's a community room that some opt to use. The mailboxes are in the foyer area which is opened w/the same key it takes to to into the parking area. There is a curtain separating the mailboxes from the community room that hasn't been washed in about a decade. It was white originally & is about yellow now.

They do inspections @ will and give just the twenty four hours notice which is tough for people w/animals I hear. They do not allow many things here. They complain about a lot of things but the rent is good. The neighborhood could be better & will be in about five years. They're improving North Hollywood.

On a bad note, the laundry room door does not lock & one of the tenants family climbs over the fence someplace & walks in @ all hours of the night & has scared some of the tenants. I have also seen another person that isn't of the age bracket to live here & doesn't live here just once & got ahold of the top of the seven or eight foot fence & was OVER the fence on one leap!!!! Makes you wonder if your'e safe anyplace if someone can jump a fence w/spikes on the top that high???? When I was coming into the parking area, the same person held the door open for me coming in as he was leaving.....

The apartments are one bedroom & I think they're 550 square feet w/a patio that is bigger than any other place I have lived in southern CA. They don't allow even a doormat on the patios though & I prefer it because it is very hot to step on the patio in the spring/summer.

So, the place is affordable for southern CA. It's got pros and cons & you have to decide if it's worth it for the price. We're thinking, maybe not. I'm looking for another place but am not in a rush to move. I want to find a place that doesn't feel as though they can come in like this place does but I'm guessing that any city owned place does that. They're changed management three times in the short time we've been here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles