Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 02:23 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,280,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by philly10 View Post
Hello L.A.,

1. Is L.A. plastic (is it just hollywood culture and the plastic surgery that is prevelent? Is their any intellect in L.A.?

2. Is it hard to make friends in L.A. (I would know nobody and will be alone) Another problem is that I like the Northeast culture with the museums, nightlife, and the proximity to NYC and its international hub.

3. Is there a good legal market in L.A.?

4. My last question is l.a. go to live in the long term or is L.A. good for twenty-something people?
Sorry for all the questions (I might have more questions if I think of anything else lol) Is it worth moving to Los Angeles?
1. I wouldn't say LA is "plastic." There are some rough areas with rough people. If you've ever seen the movie RockyIII, when Rocky goes from Philly to LA with Apollo: the movie illustrates certain differences as Paully is scared out of his mind when he hits a rough part of LA. LA is the largest county in the nation and you can find just about anything you want but I would say in general, people do care about their appearances.

2. Depends on the individual. If you're a friendly person and accept LA's culture for what it is rather than try to change it, you should be ok. To be fair though, you might not fit in everywhere, as the city/county is widely dispersed and can be informally segregated. If you're white, I don't think you would want to hang out in Monterey Park or Compton.

3. I would imagine lots of work in entertainment, immigration, and auto accidents.

4. Yes, LA is ideal for 20 somethings who tend to enjoy doing things at a fast pace. As a northeasterner, I don't know if you'll like it though. The culture is a bit different. I've spent time with people from the North East and myself as an Angeleno, had to work toward understanding the N Easterners: I understood them, intellectually, but psychologically (in our worldviews and perspectives) we were definitely on another wavelength.

5. US News and World Report has ranked Cal Tech at #5 and UCLA at #15 top universities in the world. Also, USC is a top tier national university and has a top 20 law school. Yes, there are some smart people here.

Last edited by Jay100; 07-04-2009 at 02:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 10:56 PM

2 posts, read 1,914 times
moving to california, sf eaqst bay. from minnesota and trying to figure the bst way to get my family out there?
we gotta have a 3 to 4 room moving vehicle and a car to tote out there too. the problem i am having is that the moving trucks dont seat a family of five. so now i have to have someone move my stuff. anyone out there have any suggestions to how to make this happen?

Old 04-27-2010, 10:59 PM

2 posts, read 1,914 times
other than moving it myself and flying back to drive again or flying them. is there such a moving vehicle to accomodate these needs?

Old 04-28-2010, 01:42 AM

485 posts, read 1,704,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster2008 View Post
We's aint dat smart here inn LA but we cant help it.

yeppers. we all dummer than that there bocks of rox wat iz a intelictual cunversasion abut literatire ? wat r books ? i connfuzed - i frum l.a.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles