Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2013, 11:32 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,112,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post
Love your blog, astoria! You have a great eye for little details.

I'll have to post some photos of the buildings my own neighborhood of Koreatown sometime. I've heard New Yorkers describe it as "Brooklyn with palm trees" Lots of 3-10 story pre-war brick buildings. Sadly, we have no brownstones though.
Wish an architect with some nostalgic state of mind would create a neighborhood. That would be sick. SoCal style brownstones..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 02:52 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,237,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaemophilusAphrophilus View Post
looks awesome. Ive never been there except for an elementary school trip in 5th grade so I dont remember it. I really wish there was a cheaper way to get there so its reasonable to take a day trip (too poor to make 60 bucks each I believe worthwhile just to get there and back). I cant find anything cheaper than those main boats that take you there
I actually paid nothing on the Catalina Express. This year you can travel free on your birthday, which I did. Also the roundtrip fare is $72 if you don't travel on your birthday. Go to www.catalinaexpress.com.

Old 07-22-2013, 11:44 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,847,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Wish an architect with some nostalgic state of mind would create a neighborhood. That would be sick. SoCal style brownstones..
Maybe it could happen in that area Cornfield area just north of downtown. No parking requirements there, and an emphasis on density and TOD.

It's unlikely that would happen though, most likely we'll just get more of what we are currently getting (though I like much of the new architecture in LA).

Also, as someone who has lived in a brownstone - they're really not that great to live in and are kind of cookie-cutter in their own way. In fact in Boston I think they could use a little more architectural variety IMO.

Old 07-22-2013, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Maybe it could happen in that area Cornfield area just north of downtown. No parking requirements there, and an emphasis on density and TOD.

It's unlikely that would happen though, most likely we'll just get more of what we are currently getting (though I like much of the new architecture in LA).

Also, as someone who has lived in a brownstone - they're really not that great to live in and are kind of cookie-cutter in their own way. In fact in Boston I think they could use a little more architectural variety IMO.
There's some apartments in my neighborhood that look almost like stucco brownstones with the square design and the front porch looking more like a stoop. Difference is that they are stucco, not attached and not directly on the sidewalk..

https://www.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...,4.59,,0,-0.53

Old 08-20-2013, 01:58 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,847,950 times
Quote:
There's some apartments in my neighborhood that look almost like stucco brownstones with the square design and the front porch looking more like a stoop. Difference is that they are stucco, not attached and not directly on the sidewalk..

https://www.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...,4.59,,0,-0.53
I think those are more like detached rowhouses than brownstones.

This is the brownstone I lived in: https://www.google.com/maps?q=boston...56.91,,0,-13.9

2nd worst apartment I have lived in. 4th floor walk-ups FTL. I think the closes thing Los Angeles has to those are the large apartments in Koreatown.

Old 08-24-2013, 02:53 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,458,335 times
That's not a brownstone — it's just a brick building. If it were brownstone it would be clad in... brown stone. Brownstones can be rather elegant in the inside.

https://www.google.com/maps?q=Brookl...54.86,,0,-0.41

Old 08-24-2013, 08:53 PM

From what I was told by my dad(who use to live in those yellow homes I posted), the inside is just a long hallway with small living room in the front, a kitchen branching out, 2 bedrooms and a bathroom in the end.

Those homes are nick named "Los Cucarachas".

Old 08-24-2013, 09:03 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,458,335 times
Quote:
From what I was told by my dad(who use to live in those yellow homes I posted), the inside is just a long hallway with small living room in the front, a kitchen branching out, 2 bedrooms and a bathroom in the end.

Those homes are nick named "Los Cucarachas".
I've seen similar layouts, but within apartment buildings. They're called railroad apartments in the Northeast. Rented one a while back.

Old 08-25-2013, 12:26 PM

517 posts, read 1,704,111 times
More pictures please

Old 08-29-2013, 12:36 PM

273 posts, read 672,615 times
As a New Yorker I would say if anyone who has not been to NYC , Westwood Blvd and the area along Wilshire is what would be typical for commercial centers in Brooklyn and Queens, and some of the Bronx ... just add in more high rises and 6 - 8 story apartment buildings. Closest thing to Manhattan are the high rise areas and shopping areas around them - reminds me a little of the Financial District in Manhattan.

I would enjoy living around Westwood area - so convenient, lively, and I like the mix of ethnic eats. Is that West LA or Western LA?

If any of your photographers are coming out to NYC, I am always looking for a few people to go on phot journeys. PM me if you are in NYC and interested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles