Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2011, 07:54 PM

8 posts, read 30,149 times

Advertisements

Lived here for four years and leaving once my lease is up in a few months. This place is too expensive, too populated, too stressful. I'm spending all my time working and paying my overpriced rent for my dinky one bedroom apartment. My wife and I know if we ever want to not rent and want to have kids we're going to have to move. For the average person it's too much money to enjoy the fun things like Disneyland, the beach, etc. We'll miss the weather and In-n-Out Burger, but it'll be good to live somewhere with people who are down to earth and where the lifestyle is not so expensive.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:11 PM

964 posts, read 2,648,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingbk View Post
Lived here for four years and leaving once my lease is up in a few months. This place is too expensive, too populated, too stressful. I'm spending all my time working and paying my overpriced rent for my dinky one bedroom apartment. My wife and I know if we ever want to not rent and want to have kids we're going to have to move. For the average person it's too much money to enjoy the fun things like Disneyland, the beach, etc. We'll miss the weather and In-n-Out Burger, but it'll be good to live somewhere with people who are down to earth and where the lifestyle is not so expensive.
Reasonable, but
Will you find a job elsewhere and
If you are originally from Southern California will you be able to handle less than ideal weather and
If your parents are here will you be able to handle raising your kids away from their grandparents and
Is moving away that much cheaper than finding a less expensive place in Southern California to live - maybe not Los Angeles but the outskirts?

Old 02-20-2011, 09:28 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times
Quote:
This place is too expensive, too populated, too stressful. ... We'll miss the weather and In-n-Out Burger, but it'll be good to live somewhere with people who are down to earth and where the lifestyle is not so expensive.
Yeppers, me too. I don't know about your cooking skills but I can cook almost the same hamburger as In 'n Out. The recipe is simple: just cook a hamburger like you'd cook at home. Of course there's the labor and skill elements, and I'll admit that buying the ingredients isn't much cheaper than just going over and buying a Double-Double.

I'm retired. Sc**w that traffic. I want to have scenery instead, and peace and quiet, and maybe 1-2 acres.

It's funny that word I used is censored. I'm glad I'm not discussing DIY and talking about the difference between Phillips and slotted ... well you know. Torx rules!!!

Old 02-20-2011, 11:55 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
Quote:
Lived here for four years and leaving once my lease is up in a few months. This place is too expensive, too populated
You had to move here to discover that?

Old 02-21-2011, 12:18 AM

600 posts, read 1,609,506 times
Quote:
We'll miss the weather and In-n-Out Burger
I plan on moving away this year, too (for the same reasons that you mentioned). I freaked out a little at first, when I thought of no more In N Out, but then I found their (unofficial) recipe:

[SIZE=2]
1/4 pound ground beef
1 fresh hamburger bun
Dash salt
1 tablespoon Kraft Thousand Island dressing
Large tomato slice (or 2 small slices)
Large lettuce leaf
2 slices American cheese (Singles)
-or- 1 slice real American cheese
1 whole onion slice (sliced thin) [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] Preheat a frying pan over medium heat.
Lightly toast the hamburger bun, face down in the pan.
Set aside.
Form each half into a thin patty slightly larger than the bun.
Lightly salt patty and cook for 2-3 minutes on the first side.
Flip it over and immediately place slice of cheese on. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
Assemble the burger in the following stacking order from the bottom up:
bottom bun / dressing/ tomato/ lettuce/ beef patty with cheese/
onion slice or grilled onions/ top bun.
Makes one hamburger.
[/SIZE]

I haven't tried it yet, but I'm hopeful

Old 02-21-2011, 04:31 AM

2,883 posts, read 5,892,164 times
In n out is hard to give up.

-I bet nearly every person who's been a regular there over the years can still almost taste the burger when they move away.

I went there last week. $1.85 hamburger! Where else are you going to find a quality burger like that for $2?

-I would also miss the hollywood bowl if I left. Its very relaxing if you've been going there for years. Eating there, picnicking, is almost like an institution. Plus its fun to go back through hollywood at 11:30 or 12 pm if you take the bus.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:05 AM

964 posts, read 2,648,216 times
In 'N Out fries aren't as good as McDonalds.

Anyone else think In-N-Out is incredibly overrated?

Old 02-21-2011, 10:18 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetheart1311 View Post
I freaked out a little at first, when I thought of no more In N Out, but then I found their (unofficial) recipe:
Yeppers! That's what I was saying, it's no big deal to cook your own In 'n Out burger. All it takes is the willingness to buy the ingredients and spend a few minutes cooking. Of course many if not most people don't enjoy cooking or are totally disinterested. Perhaps a few will try cooking their own burgers, discover it's easy and thus get introduced to the fun of cooking.

Old 02-21-2011, 03:22 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Sorry, but how does the beach cost money? Outside of the gas to get there and (maybe) parking.

Old 02-21-2011, 03:34 PM

29 posts, read 117,207 times
Quote:
You obviously haven't seen the Bay Area. No Disneyland or equally nice weather to compensate at that, and do not even get me started on down to earth people, lol. LA is very, very reasonable as far as cost of living goes, not to mention all other advantages; counting days to be back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles