Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2012, 11:08 AM

1,472 posts, read 3,546,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregHenry View Post
L.A. people are perhaps the most tripped-up on this basic aspect of urban life of all people I've ever encountered. Moreno Valley and Buena Park are L.A. If someone from Buena Park were in Boston and picked up the USA Today to check the weather back home, to which city would they direct their eyes? Phoenix? Seattle?

The suburbs are still L.A., and I didn't say get a burger there, although their burgers are very good. I said to go there and get a beef, and since a beef beats anything else in L.A., it is worth the drive.

I'm fine with how people keep walking this back.

But that's not really relevant to whether INO is overrated, is it? Further, most places in this country have many escaped Californians who annoy you with boasts of homeland excellence, and occasionally, restaurants will spring up that try to copy INO and appeal to these Californians and those who have been influenced by the Western emigres. The annoying Californian INO cheerleading well crosses its borders.

I don't know any beef stand that doesn't have both the hot and the sweet.
This is getting weird. First off, I never claimed it was never anything it wasn't (so no "walking back" on the subject). Secondly, I just checked the miles from downtown LA to Moreno Valley. 65. From the West Side or SF Valley add another 15 to 20. Buena Park is 20 miles south of downtown and 35 to 40 from the West Side or SF Valley. Any of these translates into an hour to three hour drive (I've been down there on business enough over the decades to know that). No burger/hot dog/whatever place is worth that. You don't seem to understand the scope of the Southland.

From what I've gathered from your posts you seem to be from IL, IN, or OH. I bet months can go by without you bumping into a former Californian in those states. I really don't see how these "emigres" can be so irritating to you. Sounds to me you just have the typical unfounded "I hate California/Californians" attitude that for some reason is so prevalent east of here. If that's the case I can assure you no one here really gives a rat's ass.

Old 06-08-2012, 11:09 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,803,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Flyover country checking in, ladies and gemmums.
As a native of flyover country now living in California, In-N-Out is outstanding!

Two other places that actually have good burgers: Dairy Queen and Sonic. They're not INO, but they're not bad at all.

You want overrated? That's Five Guys.

Old 06-08-2012, 11:35 AM

583 posts, read 884,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffredo View Post
Secondly, I just checked the miles from downtown LA to Moreno Valley. 65. From the West Side or SF Valley add another 15 to 20. Buena Park is 20 miles south of downtown and 35 to 40 from the West Side or SF Valley.
L.A. certainly is a big place. Of course, you know that not everyone going out to dinner is in downtown. Some people who live in L.A. live in or right around the corner from Buena Park or Moreno Valley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffredo View Post
From what I've gathered from your posts you seem to be from IL, IN, or OH. I bet months can go by without you bumping into a former Californian in those states. I really don't see how these "emigres" can be so irritating to you.
Making this personal, are we?

Only when they talk about INO, raising taxes, recycling, sustainability, creating more laws, hating guns, legislating food, restricting freedom, bicycle helmets, etc. As long as they stay quiet and don't try to turn this into where they had to escape from, I suppose they're fine.

Quote:
Sounds to me you just have the typical unfounded "I hate California/Californians" attitude that for some reason is so prevalent east of here. If that's the case I can assure you no one here really gives a rat's ass.
Perhaps you should ask why that attitude is, understatedly put, "so prevalent."

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that bailout.

Old 06-08-2012, 11:43 AM

1,714 posts, read 3,852,365 times
Quote:
L.A. certainly is a big place. Of course, you know that not everyone going out to dinner is in downtown. Some people who live in L.A. live in or right around the corner from Buena Park or Moreno Valley.
I don't think you really understand how far away Moreno Valley is from LA. Seriously.

Maybe you shouldn't talk about things you don't know.

Old 06-08-2012, 11:51 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,087,251 times
Quote:
You are trying to conflate Los Angeles with Southern California and it makes no sense...its like suggesting that Cleveland is part of Cincinnati....

Nobody mistakes Orange County, the inland empire, etc for Los Angeles.

Old 06-08-2012, 12:40 PM

583 posts, read 884,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by genjy View Post
I don't think you really understand how far away Moreno Valley is from LA. Seriously.
Moreno Valley is L.A. How you view your metro area is really unusual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
You are trying to conflate Los Angeles with Southern California and it makes no sense...its like suggesting that Cleveland is part of Cincinnati....
Of course, not, but Shaker Heights is.

Quote:
Nobody mistakes Orange County, the inland empire, etc for Los Angeles.
It's all L.A. We hear you identify yourselves as being from "Orange County." When we find out where that is, we say, "Oh, L.A." What we think is that you don't like L.A. and are embarrassed to say you're from there, so you try to conjure these alternative names to make your area more flattering.

Old 06-08-2012, 12:44 PM

555 posts, read 1,183,900 times
In and Out = OVERRATED.

I even take a jack and box or carls jr over them

Old 06-08-2012, 12:54 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
I just came here to say that Moreno Valley is definitely not LA.

Carry on with your trolling Greg.

Old 06-08-2012, 01:08 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,087,251 times
Quote:
Moreno Valley is L.A. How you view your metro area is really unusual.
You say say this until you're blue in the face, but its far from being true.

Obviously you don't have much experience in California, but Moreno Valley isn't even part of the Los Angeles Metro statistical area and that has a very broad definition.

Quote:
It's all L.A. We hear you identify yourselves as being from "Orange County." When we find out where that is, we say, "Oh, L.A."
I see, so this is all based on the fact that some people outside of California have misunderstandings of Southern California?

Quote:
What we think is that you don't like L.A. and are embarrassed to say you're from there...
I was born and raised in LA....not embarrassed at all. Orange County isn't LA, the Inland Empire isn't LA.

Anyhow, its hard to imagine you're serious with any of this....so moving along.

Old 06-08-2012, 01:12 PM

76 posts, read 244,332 times
Quote:
Children do love their bland hamburgers, don't they? It's cute until they ask for one at the Chinese restaurant, the Mexican restaurant, the steak restaurant and at the real burger restaurant. Good parenting will wean them off that.
Wow, do I wish that was the case...I actually think we have created a culinary monster! She loves her salmon, sashimi (occasionally with fresh ginger and wasabi), LOVES seaweed salad, and likes a great cut of tri-tip...I also need to fight her when we share baked brie with garlic and fresh blackberries!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles