Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2012, 10:10 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,358,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Refer to post above..
Ugh, I ordered my burger animal style and wasn't impressed. I've never been a huge fan of those type of secret sauces/1000 Island dressing style sauces. In some cases, it overpowers the taste of the meat (I didn't notice anything spectacular about the meat patty, but then again, I did just have it that once). I also prefer raw onions over grilled in most cases (I like the crunch, especially when paired w/ fresh lettuce and tomato).

Old 06-06-2012, 12:39 AM

1,472 posts, read 3,549,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
I went to In-N-Out one during my 7 week stay in Hollywood. The fries were woefully undercooked, but the burger wasn't that bad, especially for the price. Not really a "must go to" destination for me (ditto for Roscoe's Chicken & Waffles, despite the pleas for my ratings after having lunch there).
In-N-Out has a "secret menu" and if you know the options you can get most anything tailored the way you like it (like fries "well done" or even "extra well done" if you want them really brown). Same goes for "Animal Style". Sounds like someone told you to order it that way without you knowing what you were going to get. The standard burger with the raw onion isn't overly slathered with sauce.

Old 06-07-2012, 03:40 AM

29 posts, read 134,962 times
Been out here for a couple months. One of the first things I did was hit up In-N-Out. I was definitely unimpressed. Been back a few times since. Still didn't live up to the hype. Coming from Five Guys on the East Coast (though there is one in WeHo), In-N-Out just tasted more like fast food then a well-made, flavorful burger to me.

As far as chains go, Fatburger can't be beat. Get a medium with everything plus a fried egg. So good.

As far as chains go: Fatburger > Five guys (but it's close) > In-N-Out

But I would have to say Irv's Burgers in West Hollywood is probably the bet burger I've had in LA. It just has that old-fashioned taste you can't find in most fast food joints.

Old 06-07-2012, 04:58 AM

4,061 posts, read 9,893,622 times
I haven't read the whole thread and have never eaten at an In-N-Out because I don't live in a state that they are in. What I don't understand is if they are making the fries out of potatoes in each restaurant, why wouldn't they taste better? Seems like most of the posts say the fries are bad. That makes no sense to me if they are freshly made.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:36 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,512,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
I haven't read the whole thread and have never eaten at an In-N-Out because I don't live in a state that they are in. What I don't understand is if they are making the fries out of potatoes in each restaurant, why wouldn't they taste better? Seems like most of the posts say the fries are bad. That makes no sense to me if they are freshly made.
Probably because they taste like potatoes without a lot of additives and preservatives so they're different from the usual, processed, fast food fries. Likely an acquired taste.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:29 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,156,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_k View Post

As far as chains go, Fatburger can't be beat. Get a medium with everything plus a fried egg. So good.

This. I like In and Out but don't love or crave it as I do Fatburger (It's the artery clogging chili cheeseburger with fried egg for me).

Old 06-07-2012, 08:29 AM

583 posts, read 885,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
A fresh fry makes as little sense and tastes as good as a fresh pickle. Some foods actually have to be cooked, cured, aged, dried, jerked, marinated, cooked in more than one way, etc.

"Fresh" in California appears to be more of a religion than sound cooking practice. Californians seem willing to accept worse fresh food than better food that takes longer to be ready for the table.

Fries like In n Out don't taste as good as other fries, because fries are supposed to be cooked twice, once at lower heat for the insides, cooled, then cooked once at higher heat for the outsides. INO skips an entire stage, and passes off a worse fry as better, because the Californians have this religious fondness for "freshness." INO saves time and money, and the Californians feel pious in having an inferior product.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:03 AM

276 posts, read 775,036 times
Worst fries in the fast food business, period.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:03 AM

847 posts, read 1,459,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregHenry View Post

There's an excellent Fuddrucker's in Marietta. Go.
I work in Marietta right around the corner from Fuddrucker's. It's decent, but overpriced in my opinion. A few other Fuddrucker's locations in the area have closed down.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:29 AM

8,337 posts, read 13,477,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
Ugh, I ordered my burger animal style and wasn't impressed. I've never been a huge fan of those type of secret sauces/1000 Island dressing style sauces. In some cases, it overpowers the taste of the meat (I didn't notice anything spectacular about the meat patty, but then again, I did just have it that once). I also prefer raw onions over grilled in most cases (I like the crunch, especially when paired w/ fresh lettuce and tomato).
I have heard of doggie style but not the animal style. Regardless, the reason why I don't care for In-n-Out is because their burger patties are too damn thin! The meat cannot be tasty when it is that thin. It has to have some thickness to retain the juice inside it and also remain somewhat spongy.
That is why that other "heart attack" burger joints win over In-n-Out when it comes to taste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles