Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 02:21 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,365,574 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I will be out there for a long Memorial Day weekend, and my local friends and I are hoping to find a new brunch place.

We almost have a tradition of going to the Sagebrush in Calabassas, as we love their crab legs, oysters and shrimp. The quality seems to have slipped a little though on recent visits.

I was watching the Food Network recently, and they showed a place in Burbank that looked wonderful. They said it had been around for years, and it seemed like it was on top of a hill.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? If not, we are totally open to suggestions. Will be in Topanga Canyon area, but we are adventurous and not afraid to drive.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 02:38 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,419,160 times
You're talking about Castaway in the Burbank hills. Honestly, the view is nice at night, but the food is extremely sub-par. I'd reccommend Comme Ca on Melrose/La Cienega.

Old 05-12-2009, 03:27 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxTown View Post
You're talking about Castaway in the Burbank hills. Honestly, the view is nice at night, but the food is extremely sub-par. I'd reccommend Comme Ca on Melrose/La Cienega.
Interesting, we have eaten there (many years ago) and eaten at Castaways in San Dimas as well (I am not even sure that one is still there) I agree, for the money we were very un-impressed and tried both several times.

Nita

Old 05-12-2009, 03:32 PM

^Thanks KnoxTown & nmnita.

I looked up the Castaways, and that was indeed the place I saw on the Food Network. I then found some reviews, which were generally horrible! Seems the only redeeming quality is the view and outdoor terrace.

Please keep the suggestions coming. We love seafood, FWIW!

Old 05-13-2009, 02:45 AM

1,203 posts, read 4,419,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
^Thanks KnoxTown & nmnita.

I looked up the Castaways, and that was indeed the place I saw on the Food Network. I then found some reviews, which were generally horrible! Seems the only redeeming quality is the view and outdoor terrace.

Please keep the suggestions coming. We love seafood, FWIW!
I've heard the Queen Mary in Long Beach has a really good seafood brunch. Could be cool...

Old 05-13-2009, 03:00 AM

1,069 posts, read 3,272,213 times
"The Sunset"
Malibu
6800 Westward Beach Road
Malibu, CA 90065

Old 05-13-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxTown View Post
I've heard the Queen Mary in Long Beach has a really good seafood brunch. Could be cool...
This could be way cool, and I had no idea they did this!

Thanks for all the insight - very much appreciated!

Old 05-13-2009, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by impala666 View Post
"The Sunset"
Malibu
6800 Westward Beach Road
Malibu, CA 90065
I'll check it out, impapa666. Thanks!

Old 05-13-2009, 05:15 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
We almost have a tradition of going to the Sagebrush in Calabassas, as we love their crab legs, oysters and shrimp. The quality seems to have slipped a little though on recent visits.
FINS right across the street from Sagebrush is a million times better. Heck, I even like Kings better than Sagebrush for food. Sagebrush is just a place to go get a beer and have appetizers.

My favorite Brunch places:

Jinkys in Sherman Oaks
Jumpin' Java Famous in Studio City
Marmalade Cafe in Sherman Oaks or Calabasas
More Than Waffles in Encino
Don Cucos in Toluca Lake or Glendale

These places may lack the visual appeal you may be looking for. I love them because they are somewhat "neighborhood" hangouts and have been for me for many years and the food is GOOD. I still prefer all them over Sagebrush though.

Old 05-13-2009, 05:19 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
House Of Blues has a Sunday brunch that is really enjoyable. I am not really into religion nor do I like Gospel music, but to be there and see live performances and enjoy the all you can eat buffet (omelet table is superb) really is a fun thing to do even if it is a bit of a "Touristy Hollywood" thing to do.

http://www.houseofblues.com/venues/c...spelbrunch.asp
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles