Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 09:12 PM

1,253 posts, read 2,945,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottykick View Post
I currently live in NYC, and have become very use to not needing a car to get around, I have been toying with the idea of moving out to California, to either LA or San Diego. I like moderate climates, so San Diego would fit that bill more, but being a cartoonist & comic writer/artist I think LA would fit in more with that.

So far the areas that interest me most are Santa Monica, Hollywood / Downtown.

Any information on these area would be appreciated.

Thanks.

North Park/Hillcrest/Downtown San Diego you can easily get around without a car but there aren't as many jobs. You'll have to get over it and get a car. I'm from London so I know where you're coming from but I just had to get over it and deal with adapting to a new lifestyle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 01:01 PM

240 posts, read 1,423,490 times
I came to LA from San Diego and originally had a car. Unfortunately, the car died and I had to learn to adapt without one until I could buy another one. The trick is to move into an area that is close to one of the Red Line/Purple Line or Gold Line stops. That is the subway/train that connects the central/east side of LA. Unfortunately, the west side isn't connected by train yet and is far more difficult to manage without a car.

What I did was decide what I had to have access to on a daily basis. For me, I needed a post office, a bank, a dry cleaner and a grocery store within walking distance. So, what I did was look for apartments that had all of those within walking distance, as well as a train/subway stop from the Metro. I settled on Korea Town. However, Hollywood might also be a good option for you. Just make sure that you go to the building on the weekend and check out the general noise level first if you plan on working from home.

Best of luck to you and welcome to LA

Old 07-07-2009, 01:09 PM

2,450 posts, read 5,601,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Pip View Post
North Park/Hillcrest/Downtown San Diego you can easily get around without a car but there aren't as many jobs. You'll have to get over it and get a car. I'm from London so I know where you're coming from but I just had to get over it and deal with adapting to a new lifestyle.
This is LA, not SD.
It is possible to live without a car. I know people who have done it. Believe it or not, there is some transportation in LA.
Of course, you'll be missing out of going to restaurants and events whenever the whim hits you.
As long as you're near work, and near a grocery store, you'll do okay.

Old 07-07-2009, 01:20 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,731,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeard View Post
This is LA, not SD.
It is possible to live without a car. I know people who have done it. Believe it or not, there is some transportation in LA.
Of course, you'll be missing out of going to restaurants and events whenever the whim hits you.
As long as you're near work, and near a grocery store, you'll do okay.
True to an extent (and I do agree with you here, just am building on the commjent) - if you are craving a specific restaurant in another part of town and are too hungry to take the train or bus to get there - but most of the truly walkable areas of the city (including Hollywood) are filled with restaurants of all kinds and are often the places hosting the events.

I disagree with the earlier suggestion that you were probably going to end up getting a car. You may do so, but then again, there's just as much chance that you won't. If you think it's a possibility then you should consider the parking situation when you rent a place, though; parking can be tight in Hollywood, and not all apartments come with parking (and often it costs extra). You can rent monthly spots in some of the lots, but if you do think a car is possible in your future you may want to factor in parking costs to your overall budget. (yet another reason to go without a car in LA - no need to deal with cruising for street parking or paying through the nose to get a spot!)

Old 07-07-2009, 01:30 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
If I were going to live in Los Angeles without a car I would stick to Hollywood or maybe downtown. Remember L.A. is not NYC. It is very different and much harder to survive without one, but it seems people are doing it all the time.

At least you can give it a try, I do agree with Charles, most people in Los Angeles do have cars, it isn't the more carless friendly city, mainly because it is so spread out, without a top rapid transit system like you are accustom to having in the east.

Nita

Old 07-07-2009, 03:10 PM

425 posts, read 958,596 times
Thank You all for all your info, it is always good to hear what locals think.

Old 07-07-2009, 03:28 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,193,073 times
it's not for everyone, but my main mode of transportation is a vespa scooter. the climate is ideal for riding all year and we have such little rainfall that i'm rarely forced to take the bus anywhere.

Old 07-07-2009, 04:20 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,731,484 times
For my needs I actually found LA's public transit system to work better than did both San Francisco's and DC's. It all depends on where you live and your lifestyle. LA is actually very friendly the carless person, in part because of the weather - no waiting outside in the snow! And it is spread out, but so are other metro areas. That's really only relevant if you are regularly visiting far-flung parts of the city.

Old 07-07-2009, 06:57 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,608,126 times
I'd say Hollywood would be one of the few places in LA where a car is more of a liability than a convenience, especially if your apartment doesn't offer off street parking. The parking situation in Hollywood is nearly impossible and the subway has been such a blessing to that neighborhood.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:10 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,236,219 times
My friend lives downtown and does NOT need to drive AT ALL. He does all his shopping, dining, appliance purchasing, dog walking, et al from a building at 7th and Spring. Hollywood is a good bet for restaurants and nightlife, but so is downtown. Welcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles