Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 05:48 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,770,794 times

Advertisements

I love both cities; they're my two favorite cities in the country. It's definitely possible to appreciate both of them. I can understand why people would prefer one city over the other, but both are pretty interesting places in their own unique ways. The thing that does get on my nerves are some of the reasons for hating LA that are so often thrown out reflect an understanding of LA based on TV, or maybe on a whirlwind visit to the top 10 tourist destinations. In other words, they're totally uninformed and not based on any kind of reality. (no culture, no streetlife, no public transportation whatsoever, one big suburb, etc.) If someone wants to hate LA then they can go right ahead, but better to hate the real LA, and not some fictional LA that they've see on TV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2009, 06:01 PM

1,465 posts, read 5,151,995 times
I agree with UU above. I like both cities. As for NY, what I really like is midtown but I found I can only stay there about 3 days. I can do that several times a year though. When I was younger I could do longer stretches.

But, as I have mentioned several times, it is all about the weather for me. Today, I was on the beach in shorts. Today's weather is a bit different in New York.

Old 12-19-2009, 06:17 PM

689 posts, read 2,584,715 times
I like NY and I like to visit, if I had more money I'd go several times a year. Could I live there? No. Maybe if I was younger with no kids, or older and the kids were no longer kids. But right now I'm kind of entrenched in my suburban life with 2 kids and a wife and LA seems perfect for that.

Only thing I hate about NY is the Yankees. Damn Yankees!

Old 12-19-2009, 06:27 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,170,640 times
These are each ~18MM people regions; most of these people in each region can barely read or count...and are equally provincial/ignorant about economies of these sprawling regions

Will always respect MidtownManhattan and Greenwich CT for their intense concentration of some of world's smartest financiers

But LA's Westside has a few really smart financiers and entrepreneurs as well

Some things money will never buy in NYC: coastal LA weather (little apparent heat/humidity in Summ and none of the cold/salt/slush; and far fewer insects/mosquitos than in NYC); LA topography with some of world's best driving rds in Malibu cyns....fresh CA produce (stuff that even NYC's best restaurants lack as poor local produce)...and ability to drive a perf car everywhere w/spacious garages and valet pkg (compare the garbage dumpster-like garages in Manhattan for >$1K/mo)

Manhattan walking is vastly inferior vs walking around downtown BH....need non-hot/humid or cold/messy weather, clean sidewalks and hotties wearing less clothing for walking anywhere to be anything but a waste of time

Old 12-19-2009, 11:01 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,312,344 times
Growing up in NYC and living in LA for some time I feel I can comment on both. To be honest, both places are a tad overated. Im including LA county as a whole. I will admit, LA does provide an overall better quality of life. Many areas give a suburban feel with access to get the party area is u so desire. With that said, I dont really consider LA "big city" unless ur comparing it to somewhere in the midwest
NYC's hot spot is primarily Manhattan which is basically a big downtown. The outer boros (brooklyn, queens, manhatten)have become practically 3rd world shells or places to house the poor. In LA, 500 k gets u a nice house or condo in a pretty decent area, in NYC that buys u a nice apartment. Most likely it will not come with a parking space either.
The weather is great in LA but some of us could care less about the beaches.
I will say this, LA folks seem to do more things for fun; surf, big bear, magic mountain, Vegas, hanging on the sunset strip ect... If u ever wonder why New Yorkers seem edgy and aggressive, its b/c they're all stressed out and many never leave the city except to go visit poor friends in other parts of the city. The cost of living is twice that of LA and its too many people in a small area. Not to mention many have to take that subway to work and its not as fun and conveinant as you may think.

The race issues here, more specifically black/latino , are disgusting. You just dont have that problem in east coast cities period

Old 12-20-2009, 10:03 AM

305 posts, read 772,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justcause View Post
Yes, but is there anything to LA besides the weather and beach? Do we have culture, sophistication, vibrancy, a place on the world stage as a global city on par with NYC?

It's not that I personally find anything wrong with what you mentioned, btw.
In all honesty as an Angeleno:

Do we have culture? Yes.

Do we have sophistication? Yes.

Vibrancy? Yes.

Are we on par with NYC? Yes.... and no. I'm willing to admit that we aren't there yet, and Angeleno's/Californian's are holding themselves back in this regard.

I posted this in another thread, a few examples of urban qualities which show L.A. approaching, matching or even surpassing NYC:

Are New Yorkers Intimidated by Los Angeles?

In addition, in regards to gastronomy and fashion:

http://www.disarraymagazine.com/2009...uck-scene.html
Quote:
We would like to think that we started it all here in the “City of Angels,” with the original “Roach Coach”. Taco trucks have long been a staple in L.A., but mostly for day workers at a construction site or wasted club kids at 2am. In recent months, L.A. has been home to gourmet trucks wandering the streets featuring anything from delectable deserts to international delights. Check out our guide to these fine on-the-go feasts here:

As you can see that post was conveniently ignored by pretty much all of the New Yorkers in that thread.

Long story short, Los Angeles is gaining international recognition outside of Hollywood and more people are starting to see the city for what it is and can be. And for some reason, that makes some people upset.

One thing that's holding us back really would be the 2AM last call laws. I'm serious. That's one of the few arenas that NYC has us beat in, is that 24 hour culture that's out east. You can't have no real vibrancy if people are packing it up at 2AM. Downtown L.A. and Hollywood should be 24 hour districts similar to how Miami and New Orleans have 24 hour districts. But good mass transit = 24 hour culture, so that is changing as L.A. gets it's transit system together.

I do love both cities. L.A. is basically coming into fruition as a city in it's own right, and many of us are seeing this, living this as the city goes into it's transition.

Last edited by A.J._in_L.A.; 12-20-2009 at 10:16 AM..

Old 12-20-2009, 11:31 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,410,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J._in_L.A. View Post
In all honesty as an Angeleno:

Do we have culture? Yes.

Do we have sophistication? Yes.

Vibrancy? Yes.

Are we on par with NYC? Yes.... and no. I'm willing to admit that we aren't there yet, and Angeleno's/Californian's are holding themselves back in this regard.

I posted this in another thread, a few examples of urban qualities which show L.A. approaching, matching or even surpassing NYC:

Are New Yorkers Intimidated by Los Angeles?

In addition, in regards to gastronomy and fashion:

Disarray Magazine: LA Food Truck Scene

As you can see that post was conveniently ignored by pretty much all of the New Yorkers in that thread.

Long story short, Los Angeles is gaining international recognition outside of Hollywood and more people are starting to see the city for what it is and can be. And for some reason, that makes some people upset.

One thing that's holding us back really would be the 2AM last call laws. I'm serious. That's one of the few arenas that NYC has us beat in, is that 24 hour culture that's out east. You can't have no real vibrancy if people are packing it up at 2AM. Downtown L.A. and Hollywood should be 24 hour districts similar to how Miami and New Orleans have 24 hour districts. But good mass transit = 24 hour culture, so that is changing as L.A. gets it's transit system together.

I do love both cities. L.A. is basically coming into fruition as a city in it's own right, and many of us are seeing this, living this as the city goes into it's transition.
Thanks for the thoughtful info. I have been puzzled by what exactly does NYC have to offer that can't be found in LA. Now I understand. Staples & Sunset Strip are late night but not all night. Suppose it is just a matter of time before transportation is conquered. Can't have houses & yards with dense living. New York is an old skyscraper city. Los Angeles is a suburban city.

Old 12-20-2009, 11:41 AM

559 posts, read 1,381,630 times
I'm a native Angeleno and I have no problem acknowledging that NYC is in 1st place in many of the metrics for a world-class city (often with 2nd place a very distant 2nd).

I think that since NYC is so dominant, it is the inevitable standard that other cities, especially No.2 L.A., to be measured against.

For instance, our fashion industry is on the ascendancy so comparisons to NY have to be mentioned. The L.A. Philharmonic is arguably the best or most interesting orchestra in the U.S. so comparisons to other world-class orchestras will come up.

I do have a problem with the portrayal of L.A. as not being a "real" city or that it's a cultural desert. L.A. & NYC are just two very different models of a modern cosmopolitan city. And has been mentioned before, no one city can be best for everyone.

As a gross generalization, I don't see native Angelenos hating other cities; certainly not to the extent that L.A. seems to get dumped on.

On the other hand, do New Yorkers actually spend time thinking about L.A?

Old 12-20-2009, 01:38 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,770,794 times
I also have a problem with LA being called a "suburban city." I realize that it all depends on definition, but compared to most cities in this country I don't think "LA" and "suburban" go together. I think that makes it sound like LA is filled with large lots, single family homes, big box stores, highly segregated commercial and residential zoning, and low density. Some parts of LA have those things, but given that LA is the most densely populated urbanized area in the country (although I certainly think there's room for increased density in central areas, and of course most areas aren't Manhattan-level densities), I think it sends a false message to those not familiar with the region. A lot of people in LA aren't living in single family homes with a yard, although it's true that it's easier to find that within the city itself than it is in most parts of NYC. It can be considered suburban when compared to Manhattan, but not when compared to many other American cities, or even to other areas of NYC.

Old 12-20-2009, 04:00 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,287,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunk on kool aid View Post
I'm a native Angeleno and I have no problem acknowledging that NYC is in 1st place in many of the metrics for a world-class city (often with 2nd place a very distant 2nd).

I think that since NYC is so dominant, it is the inevitable standard that other cities, especially No.2 L.A., to be measured against.

For instance, our fashion industry is on the ascendancy so comparisons to NY have to be mentioned. The L.A. Philharmonic is arguably the best or most interesting orchestra in the U.S. so comparisons to other world-class orchestras will come up.

I do have a problem with the portrayal of L.A. as not being a "real" city or that it's a cultural desert. L.A. & NYC are just two very different models of a modern cosmopolitan city. And has been mentioned before, no one city can be best for everyone.

As a gross generalization, I don't see native Angelenos hating other cities; certainly not to the extent that L.A. seems to get dumped on.

On the other hand, do New Yorkers actually spend time thinking about L.A?
There's a bunch to discuss but just off the top of my head. If there's a demand for something then such as a museum (The Getty) then LA will build it. Since we don't have it then we probably don't want it: see the NFL.

NY has never held an Olympic Summer Games. LA has held it twice.

The fashion on display in NY, usually originated in other places like California (blue jeans) and Europe.

The LA area is rich in history and tradition.

NY is headquarters to quite a few media outlets, which really put it out there in terms of coverage. IMO, that doesn't make it the most important city or greatest American city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles