Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 11:30 AM

164 posts, read 315,059 times

Advertisements

I was looking and it appears that the green line ends in Norwalk, what is Norwalk like? Riding the Green Line?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
if you think you can handle that commute then more power to you, we're just trying to give you an idea of bad it will be. if you leave any time after 6am it will take you at least 30 minutes just to get to the orange county border. from there traffic probably won't be too bad until you get to the 105. it could easily take you an hour to get from one end of the 105 to the other during morning rush hour. considering you have a pregnant wife, do you really want to be on the road for 4 hours everyday? a vanpool may help so you don't have to drive by yourself everyday, but it won't help the travel time (the carpool/HOV lanes are as slow as the regular lanes at the hour).

since you asked for opinions, here's mine: norco should only be a consideration if you can start before 7am and get off before 3pm.
Thank you! That is the kind of info I need! I have a motorcycle as well, but not sure I want to commute on it...

Old 04-21-2010, 11:34 AM

1,465 posts, read 5,147,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aemedic View Post
If there are tons of places that are closer I wish they came up on the MLS...
medic, I have to apologize, when I read Norco, for some reason, I thought Boron. I just couldn't understand why one would look there to commute to El Segundo.

To your question, have you thought of getting a real estate agent involved in El Segundo? They really know the area and might be able to guide you.

Old 04-21-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownVentura View Post
medic, I have to apologize, when I read Norco, for some reason, I thought Boron. I just couldn't understand why one would look there to commute to El Segundo.

To your question, have you thought of getting a real estate agent involved in El Segundo? They really know the area and might be able to guide you.
I was working with a guy in El Segundo but he was not willing to look outside the immediate area. I need to look at all areas that could work. I guess I'm looking for another realtor...

Old 04-22-2010, 04:04 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,631,284 times
61 miles each way. 1 hour drive at 5am. Doable, but barely. Impossible after 6am...you are looking at a 2 hour commute in and assuming a 8 hour work day with 30 minute lunch, 3 hours + on the way home.

IMO, you really need to ask yourself these questions:

1.) How much commute am I really willing to tolerate?

2.) Is time lost to commuting really worth keeping the RV?(IMO your housing requirements as stated are extremely incompatible with living in LA County where houses are in the $400K range)

3.) Why am I buying a house instead of renting? This one is most important IMO as housing prices in LA are likely to slide down in value over the next 5-10 years. See this for a start: Dr. Housing Bubble Blog

Old 04-22-2010, 01:28 PM

Okay, so, Norco looks like it's out. I am focusing my search in the Norwalk/La Mirada area to see what I can find and still be close to the end of the green line.

I prefer not to rent, too many restrictions when you rent. I would rather invest in the house fix it up in my spare time and paint the interior what ever color I want, not to mention three dogs makes it hard to find a rental. Now that said, if we found the perfect rental, we would at least look at it.

Old 04-22-2010, 01:54 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,973,693 times
Quote:
3.) Why am I buying a house instead of renting? This one is most important IMO as housing prices in LA are likely to slide down in value over the next 5-10 years. See this for a start: Dr. Housing Bubble Blog
No way. It is already better than last year. You seriously think things are going to get alot worse than now? Maybe a little but not for much longer.

That is quite the drive. The RV parking instantly makes many areas their the base too pricey. Some parts of Long Beach are nice but what he wants is easily 500k. He wants to have enough space so he doesn't hassle with his toys. He can definitely get a place closer for the same price but it will be smaller, older, and overall less space. His major issue is space...space cost alot of money in LA.

Old 04-22-2010, 02:41 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Many military bases have RV parking for cheap. Perhaps the RV could be stored at one of the other bases in Southern California.

Old 04-22-2010, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Many military bases have RV parking for cheap. Perhaps the RV could be stored at one of the other bases in Southern California.

Thanks Charles! This is not an option for us, this one is non-negotiable, we will look till we find a place that will support RV parking.

Old 04-22-2010, 06:36 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,631,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
No way. It is already better than last year. You seriously think things are going to get alot worse than now? Maybe a little but not for much longer.
Your facts to support your position are?

My facts to support my assertion are:

-record unemployment rate
-the temporary increase in prices is due to unprecedented government intervention in the form of incentives + purchasing of mortgages combined with banks intentfully failing to foreclose on properties thereby creating an artificial limitation of supply.
-housing prices in most of LA and OC that reflect prices well above the traditional affordibility levels of most people.
-continued deflationary factors in the overall economy.

Basically I think that OP is stretching very far to purchase. I get the argument against renting considering his circumstances. However, I think OP may be unpleasantly surprised by the house he can afford to purchase in his price range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles