Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 02:54 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,458,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownVentura View Post
I thought it was

Average Max. Temperature (F) (January-December) 66.9 65.3 68.2 68.0 67.7 70.9 73.0 74.3 74.3 73.7 71.2 69.9 70.3

VENTURA, CALIFORNIA - Climate Summary
If you're within sight of the ocean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 10:24 AM

1,543 posts, read 2,958,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuffinCups View Post
Of course, I have to deal with the delicate doilies at work you never want the air conditioner on even if it is 100 degrees outside. God, put on a sweater if you are cold, could the sleeveless attire & skimpy skirts with tacky flip flops be part of the problem.
I think your "delicate doiles" are the sensible ones - it's hot outside so they adjust their clothing to adapt to the current weather. Now if they wore skimpy clothing in the winter and expected the heat to be turned up to 75 so that they could be comfortable, then that would be another story. Air-conditioning to the point that people have to put on extra layers indoors is a waste of energy and hampers the natural adaptation that our bodies make to seasonal changes in temperature.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:35 AM

1,069 posts, read 3,272,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Island_OnThe_Land View Post
I know I shouldn't "complain" about our fantastic weather...but this recent spat of cold and gray highlights for me what I really DISLIKE about our otherwise benign climate.

That is, I really hate our "cool" springs including the "may gray/june gloom" AS WELL AS our COLD nights...even in the middle of summer.

Basically, I wish our SPRING weather would bring:

1) daily HIGHS would be Mid-'70's to low 80's;
2) daily LOWS would NOT fall BELOW 65 degrees.

All the above with LOW HUMIDITY. Wish our summer nights were warmer too!!
I would add a few really big thunderstorms but not too many.

Old 05-13-2010, 12:50 PM

364 posts, read 991,472 times
I'd like to have rain fall at night with a good lightning show. However, the thunder shouldn't be too loud so I can sleep.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:45 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,080,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetheoutdoors View Post
I'd like to have rain fall at night with a good lightning show. However, the thunder shouldn't be too loud so I can sleep.
Can you have one without the other? I truly love the rain but hate the wetness.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:48 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,768,787 times
June Gloom rocks. Lets have it all year

Old 05-14-2010, 12:28 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,393,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetheoutdoors View Post
I love the sound of rain at night. It such a calming sound and makes me horny I like rain during the day too [for the same reason].

Old 05-14-2010, 01:50 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,939,884 times
High humidity, 95+ and strong 20 minute showers every 3 hours

Old 06-24-2010, 11:56 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,696,313 times
Here is another thing I'd change about LA's climate:

take away all that smog and pollutants plus the other nasty chemicals out of the air. That one thing alone would eliminate most of my allergy problems. The thing is though that this city is in a climate zone which doesn't receive enough rainfall and there always seems to be this cloud of haze/smog hanging over the mountains. I was outside today waiting for the bus so I could come home and noticed hazy skies in the mountains. As previously stated in other posts, nowhere is perfect. True, LA is not as polluted as some other cities around the world but it is far from clean in the air quality department.

Old 06-25-2010, 12:29 AM

787 posts, read 1,943,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliveandWell View Post
Here is another thing I'd change about LA's climate:

take away all that smog and pollutants plus the other nasty chemicals out of the air. That one thing alone would eliminate most of my allergy problems. The thing is though that this city is in a climate zone which doesn't receive enough rainfall and there always seems to be this cloud of haze/smog hanging over the mountains. I was outside today waiting for the bus so I could come home and noticed hazy skies in the mountains. As previously stated in other posts, nowhere is perfect. True, LA is not as polluted as some other cities around the world but it is far from clean in the air quality department.

The "good news" is the smog has improved over the past 20 or 30 years.

To some extent we are prisoners of our topography and geography. LA is located on a low lying coastal plain surrounded by high mountains, and deserts beyond. Air circulation is limited by default. Once you add sunshine and exhaust fumes from thousands of cars you get smog stuck in an inversion layer. Both Santiago, Chile and Mexico City have similar geographic conditions which produce smog.

As a side note, I've read historical accounts of early Spanish explorers and settlers commenting on "hazy" conditions in the LA basin. Basically something as seemingly innocuous as a fire from a native american settlement combined with the geography/sunshine and you would produce haze.

But I AGREE....we need cleaner skies and less smog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles