Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 12:37 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,955,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal35 View Post
As a side note, I've read historical accounts of early Spanish explorers and settlers commenting on "hazy" conditions in the LA basin. Basically something as seemingly innocuous as a fire from a native american settlement combined with the geography/sunshine and you would produce haze.
The name chosen by the native Tongva people for the basin: "Valley of the Smokes". And that was when less than 5000 people lived in the L.A. area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 02:31 AM

787 posts, read 1,943,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
The name chosen by the native Tongva people for the basin: "Valley of the Smokes". And that was when less than 5000 people lived in the L.A. area.

Didn't know that or if I did I forgot. So basically there's no way we'll ever have truly clean, clear skies. There goes my optimism.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:33 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,409,113 times
(dream chaser)"I GOTTA live in California. [visions of skaters in Venice, palm trees swaying in the cool sea breeze, etc]."

[Sticker shock]

[pan across typical Moreno Valley hell-scape]

"I can't stand the weather here! I wish it was 70F every day!"

LOL ...

Old 06-28-2010, 11:46 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,393,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
(dream chaser)"I GOTTA live in California. [visions of skaters in Venice, palm trees swaying in the cool sea breeze, etc]."

[Sticker shock]

[pan across typical Moreno Valley hell-scape]

"I can't stand the weather here! I wish it was 70F every day!"

LOL ...
I assumed you lived in the Bay Area, right? Agree that the Moreno Valley is very hot but it is at least 70 miles inland from the ocean.

This summer, so far has been incredibly nice. I can not remember not having to use the AC so late in June. Maybe this summer will be cool all season, I hope!

Old 09-17-2014, 11:14 AM

2,209 posts, read 2,319,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Island_OnThe_Land View Post
I know I shouldn't "complain" about our fantastic weather...but this recent spat of cold and gray highlights for me what I really DISLIKE about our otherwise benign climate.

That is, I really hate our "cool" springs including the "may gray/june gloom" AS WELL AS our COLD nights...even in the middle of summer.

Basically, I wish our SPRING weather would bring:

1) daily HIGHS would be Mid-'70's to low 80's;
2) daily LOWS would NOT fall BELOW 65 degrees.

All the above with LOW HUMIDITY. Wish our summer nights were warmer too!!
If I were a weather genie, I would make LA's summers shorter. It's fine to have warm and even hot temps in June/July/August, but here in LA, we often stay hot well into October, with several warm spells in December/January. Summer always overstays its welcome here!

Old 09-18-2014, 01:59 AM

24,511 posts, read 33,321,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
If I were a weather genie, I would make LA's summers shorter. It's fine to have warm and even hot temps in June/July/August, but here in LA, we often stay hot well into October, with several warm spells in December/January. Summer always overstays its welcome here!
I'll take warm spells in December/January over 5 or 10 degrees above zero any day!

Old 09-18-2014, 06:59 AM

861 posts, read 852,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Island_OnThe_Land View Post
I know I shouldn't "complain" about our fantastic weather...but this recent spat of cold and gray highlights for me what I really DISLIKE about our otherwise benign climate.

That is, I really hate our "cool" springs including the "may gray/june gloom" AS WELL AS our COLD nights...even in the middle of summer.

Basically, I wish our SPRING weather would bring:

1) daily HIGHS would be Mid-'70's to low 80's;
2) daily LOWS would NOT fall BELOW 65 degrees.

All the above with LOW HUMIDITY. Wish our summer nights were warmer too!!
Not sure if this is directly related to climate, but LA could do with more fluffy puffy clouds

Always miss them after leaving London

Old 09-18-2014, 09:41 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,013,051 times
Hmm. I don't think I'd change LA's climate at all. It's nice that every place on earth is different and we can go to and experience all those differences.

But as far as my ideal climate overall, if I could wave a magic wand, I'd live in some locale where there were definite changing seasons, but it never got colder than 45F, never got hotter than 85F, and there was reasonable rain but not an overabundance of it, and enough snow in the winter to look pretty but not be a severe danger while driving, etc.

If I had that magic wand, though, I'd create this locale not to replace LA but as its own locale.

Old 09-18-2014, 05:27 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,152,478 times
I love LA's climate. I wish there was a bit more rainfall though. Maybe a weeks worth or more than what we currently get.

Old 09-18-2014, 06:13 PM

23,544 posts, read 24,049,201 times
The very high heat in the SFV/SGV/IE is very hard to live with. Scorching summer heat and high UV. I lived in Pasadena for years and those hot summers (like the past week) were brutal to deal with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles