Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 12:38 PM
esl

2 posts, read 10,095 times

Advertisements

Macon has become a very dangerous town to live in. I would not recommend this town to anyone. I've lived right outside of Macon for my entire life, so I do know what I am talking about. I had wanted to move to the downtown area for a while (because the apartments there are beautiful and reasonable), but my safety comes first. Cars get broken into numerous times. Homeless people and drug dealers wonder the streets on a daily basis! These people will approach you very quickly for money, and they are very persistent. The only decent area is North macon; however, I fear this area is starting to become unsafe as well. I will be leaving this town shortly, and I will NEVER return, except to visit relatives. Think twice before moving to Macon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2007, 04:11 PM

3 posts, read 10,244 times
Henry county is 55 miles from macon you should go there

Old 08-11-2007, 07:27 AM

511 posts, read 2,477,421 times
Macon is not a very dangerous place to live, especially with you saying you stayed in the county. Macon is not the safest but the rest of Bibb County is very safe, primarily do to the great presense of Bibb County Sheriff Jerry Modena, but im sorry to see you go. Come back in five years and see the great changes Macon has made.

Old 08-25-2007, 09:05 AM

2 posts, read 7,866 times
macon is a *****hole as well as a hellhole, ulsterscot was right, crime is rampant ,i myself was pulled out of my cousins car and shot point blank in the back of the head in my cousins FRONT YARD! in an attempted car-jacking back in june 1996, if the bullet hadnt grazed the side of my scalp- i wouldnt be here- side issue, no area of macon is safe, used to be that the northside and west side were nice areas free of crime, but crime is all over this city,ive had enough of this place, the job industry in this area is squat, im currently in the process of selling my house and property- and have been trying to sell it for almost 2 years!, and have lowered it 10,000 below appraised value and it still wont sell, but then again it took my uncle 3.5 years to sell his house,i am leaving not only the macon area but georgia as well, im going out mid west to colorado, going to colorado springs, beautiful,no where near the same amount of murder/crime and also nice weather;cold snowy winters and cool summers unlike the hellish humid heat of macon, bottomline - ive lived in the macon area since i was born-1976, im 31 and i ive wasted the better first half of my life staying here, im not going to waste anymore time here, the people here are ass-backward compared to the rest of the nation, anyone who loves macon has NO ambition and a below avg. IQ

Old 08-25-2007, 03:19 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,035,971 times
wow.. 911-to-Tyrrany.. sounds like you were describing Augusta.

Old 08-26-2007, 09:31 AM

Im not saying you werent shot point blank in the head, but I've looked through alot of records, and for you to be shot point blank in the back of the head, and live to tell about, would make alot of headlines. However im still searching through records. Your story does seems a little scretched. I say that in no disrespect but if you could possibly provide some kind of evidence that would be great, something like a newsarticle, or crime report. There are many people who love Macon, and have above average IQ's. For example multi million dollar man Jim Marshall. Also Colorado isnt heaven on earth.

Old 08-26-2007, 06:23 PM

10 posts, read 47,883 times
I am also moving to Macon soon. The Ingleside area is a magnet for young proffesionals and downtown is a mix of all types. In regards to the person who stated that there are "two housing projects" within downtown Macon, they are mistaken. Oglethorpe Homes was the only housing project in InTown Macon and it was redeveloped several years ago. East Macon is a different story(it is what you see from the Interstate). The schools are a mix, but most are in cities. Since I am moving from Savannah, I can tell you about crime. Macon's crime is in the areas in decline, on the other hand Savannah's is everwhere. From the Historic District to the Southside the crime is insane. Think Youngstown or Gary Indania or Augusta. Macon needs impovement but I have none of my friends have never had a problem.It seems those who live in the suburbs love to spread rumors of the demise of Macon. Not what I have seen.

Old 08-27-2007, 05:29 PM

Thank You at least someone noticed that crime in on the decline, and at a fast pace. Detoni if you need any information about Macon, just ask, ill do the best to answer any questions you have.

Old 10-10-2007, 02:10 PM

1 posts, read 4,979 times
I lived in Macon for the first 18 years of my life, so I know the place like the back of my hand. I lived in the north-west area near Monroe, and loved it. I left in 2000 and joined the Marine Corps, so I havnt "lived" there since then, but I reguarly visit, and still want to go back. I live in Norther VA for the time being, and f-ing hate this place. You cant even get a condo for under $300,000 these days. New single family homes in my area are going for over $1m, REDICULUS!

Now, it does get quite hot and humid in Macon, but you get used to it. The one problem I see Macon facing in the near future is the Olkmulgee river drying up. I havnt seen it in a few years, but my parents tell me that it has been very low recently.

I started out at a private school called Tattnall, then to another private school called Stratford until 8th grade. Those are great schools, but be prepared to pay out your tail end every year. I think Stratford tuition is around $5450–$10,035 /yr. I moved to Central High School for 9th - 12th to get a different flavor of friends, and graduated from there with Honors and a Fine Arts Seal. School, no matter where you are, is what you make it to be.
Central was surrounded by some projects, and some historicaly beautiful sites and million dollar houses.

Crime? Most of these people here are refering to places like pleasant hills and areas near the mall. The other 85% of the city is a great place to live. I have family all over Macon and surrounding counties as well, and all of them love where they are.

Apparently the current mayor went on a trip to Africa, converted to Islam overnight and changed his name to Hakim Mansour Ellis. No comment about that.

Old 11-13-2007, 09:38 AM
esl

2 posts, read 10,095 times
lol..The crime is on the decline..what a load of crapp!!! I was driving down Rogers Ave. on Sunday night, and two guys walking down the road purposly threw a brick onto the hood of my car, leaving a really big dent. When I called 911, the operator did not sound surprised at all. In fact, she said this happens all of the time in the Ingleside area. She said those guys have been going around with a BB gun trying to shoot people's wine bottles at the Back Burner resturant!! I thought Ingleside was a nicer and safer area of Macon! But then I realized, it's just the oppisite!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon