Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 04:18 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,887,316 times

Advertisements

Yes, Michael, most of Wash County is for sale. Especially Lubec and Eastport. And, oddly enough, they are all gold mines based on the prices.

Movintime, you'll find once you'r up this way that 5 hours isn't a whole lot of travel time. It makes for a great weekend away with a nice itinerary of things to do. I love the peace and quiet up here (not sure how my daughter and the in laws do it in Saco and York) but a trip to "the big cities is a nice break in the action, too. Miy sister does it the opposite way, they live outside Waterville and come up weekends (3 hr drive) to "camp" (as they call it. Cottage to me.) and spend a few days chillin'.

Just remember when you buy, to come and look at the land. Not all land is created equal. Some have swamps, some flood a few times a year. Due diligence. I know a lot of folks love Eastport on here (me too) but there are other towns around the area that I think are great too. Perry, Pembroke, Robinston, Columbia Falls. Check it out, great for rusticators, IMHO. I started to do it on 3-4 acres in Perry in the mid 90's. Too bad I couldn't finish the job.

Man, the mouth is running today. Shut up Scotty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2012, 03:07 PM

908 posts, read 1,119,258 times
Hancock and Lamoine have their own bit of beauty - while still being close to the crossroads of Maine (Ellsworth) and Bangor. I have a friend who lives in Hancock near the tidal falls. There's lots of beauty on 182 as well.

Old 07-21-2012, 03:09 PM

908 posts, read 1,119,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
Yes, Michael, most of Wash County is for sale. Especially Lubec and Eastport. And, oddly enough, they are all gold mines based on the prices.
I was scanning the real estate one day and came across a place in Cutler with some few acres of oceanfront, a beach, and a beautiful cape for $175k. Anywhere else a place like that would cost 3-5 times as much. If I was 15 years older and life was "easier" I'd hop on it. I fear by the time I'm old enough to get my own slice it'll be all gone

Old 08-31-2012, 11:11 PM

2,035 posts, read 3,350,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Bar Harbor or Seal Harbor. I need the ocean and I need the forest...Acadia National Park right there, ocean all over. Perfect.
My choice also - with a waterview.

There are many towns i like - Eastport i hear so much about the red ants, and i fear they have a lot more ice and snow than many more coastal towns. (dont know if this is true) I always thought it looked like a great place to live - so much in the downtown and i love the location with the ships etc.

And i get the newspaper from that area and man it seems like townspeople are always fighting over something!

Old 09-01-2012, 05:57 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,547,503 times
You need tons of money to buy in Seal Harbor or Bar Harbor. On one June day we drove down to Castine from Bangor to have lunch on the dock there. It seemed as if about every 3rd house was for sale on that road. Many houses for sale now all over in Maine. If you are looking besure to offer lower than they are asking. A neighbor of mine a couple streets over - here in Bangor - sold his house without using a realtor - he priced it fairly and was able to have it sold before he even made an offer on the one he wanted.

Old 09-01-2012, 06:11 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,887,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean50 View Post
My choice also - with a waterview.

There are many towns i like - Eastport i hear so much about the red ants, and i fear they have a lot more ice and snow than many more coastal towns. (dont know if this is true) I always thought it looked like a great place to live - so much in the downtown and i love the location with the ships etc.

And i get the newspaper from that area and man it seems like townspeople are always fighting over something!
You're right there. The economy must be good for all the petty squabbles going around. And depending who you talk to, the ants are kept as pets to ward off burglars and such. Have you looked around Brooklin, Deer Isle area?

Old 09-01-2012, 06:13 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,129,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
You need tons of money to buy in Seal Harbor or Bar Harbor.
This is not true, unless of course you want anything directly on the shore. But on MDI, you could also choose "shore view" which might actually be across the street from the shore. You could choose other parts of MDI such as Tremont, or Otter Creek, or Southwest Harbor. You could save a bundle and have water view by choosing Lamoine and you could look at MDI.

In Lamoine I found a 3 bdr 2 bath on 2.5 acres for $175K.

In Tremont, I found a a 2 bdr 1 bath house on 1.5 acres for $158K

In Southwest Harbor, I found a I found a 1 bdr 1 bath house on seawall road for $45K, on .25 acre; a 3bdr 2 bath house on .35 acre for $89K; a 2bdr 1 bath Condo for $130 on 3.1 shared acres with other condos; a 2bd , 1 bth waterview for $140K; a 3 bdr 1bath, water view for $179K

In Bar Harbor, I found a 2bdr , 1 bath for $109K; a 3 bdr , 2 bath farmhouse for $139K; a 3 br 2 bath townhouse for $179K

I could go on.... You just have to look around. There are places along the all along the water from Millbridge to Lamoine that don't cost a bundle and are either water or even better(lower taxes) right across the street from water with even dock access.

Its not what you say. If you want the best realtor to find something like this for you, I will tell you privately, though he only handles MDI, Lamoine, basically Hancock county south of Ellsworth.

I took a few minutes to look this up. You can too.

Old 09-01-2012, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean50 View Post
....... i hear so much about the red ants, and i fear they have a lot more ice and snow than many more coastal towns.

OK... I live near Ellsworth. The ants are European fire ants, and they have no natural enemies with other ants or anyone else; they are very aggressive. But realistically they are only really a problem during July and August. They were introduced in Maine in the 1920's and are moving north and south. Recently they made it to Canada.

Ice and snow is not really a big deal. Buy a Subaru or other AWD or 4WD vehicle AND GET WINTER TIRES. If you are retired, its not really a big problem, just don't go out. Roads on the coast get plowed pretty quickly. I have two of these vehicles now, one a small Subaru, and one a giant Ford Explorer AWD. But do buy winter tires. Regular tires simply become rock hard at about 45 degrees F, and no longer hold the road. You can get someone to plow your driveway, or you can get a blower and do it yourself. I have one that I'm modifying to do my stone drive way. I'm taking off the little tires and putting the WIDE ones from my riding lawn mower on it(with chains), and putting the fronts on a set of old cross country skiis on the little 2 inch by 1 inch skidder in the front. I expect this to work great.

As to townspeople fighting, Around Ellworth, I've not seen this. There are people fighting everywhere, mostly drunks, I think.

Old 09-01-2012, 06:26 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,615,476 times
We were there recently and stopped in Ellsworth. It was nice (so was the other places we went) but it is too cold up there in the winter for me.

Old 09-01-2012, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
Have you looked around Brooklin......

Only grumpy people live in Brooklin......

Hopefully my rarely Grumpy friend in Brooklin reads this.... See you Wednesday???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine