Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 03:20 PM

4 posts, read 31,144 times

Advertisements

Just give me an idea of the culture, lifestyle etc., I am considering renting a home up there this summer, it seems intriguing to me. I want a contrast between south Florida.

Am considering Maine/New England OR upstate NY (Lower Hudson Valley)?? Just want small towns, beautiful scenery, cool air, open space, something different especially in culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 04:06 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,243,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cristoforoo View Post
Just give me an idea of the culture, lifestyle etc., I am considering renting a home up there this summer, it seems intriguing to me. I want a contrast between south Florida.

Am considering Maine/New England OR upstate NY (Lower Hudson Valley)?? Just want small towns, beautiful scenery, cool air, open space, something different especially in culture.
Maine has some great scenery, but I've heard tell that it may be racist and is populated with miserable people. These are just rumors of course.

Old 06-03-2012, 04:29 PM

827 posts, read 1,672,912 times
What can I say, it's rough country. You have to fight off bears, and other critters, as well as them wild Indians just about everyday. In the summer it's hot and dry and the winters are freezing cold with blowing snow and ice. The spring is flood season [as well as mud up to your butt in some areas] And them mosquitoes are so big they use antiaircraft guns to shoot em down. [they've been know to pickup grown folks and fly off with them]. The state is NOT for the squimish.

Last edited by BoxCar Willie; 06-03-2012 at 05:37 PM..

Old 06-03-2012, 05:07 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
Maine has some great scenery, but I've heard tell that it may be racist and is populated with miserable people. These are just rumors of course.
let's not forget, there isnt one job available in the whole state(so I hear)

and
because the gene pool is so shallow, we just don't have the awareness, to know or comprehend how bad things actually are
and by-jesus, I also heard we are mean degenerates who wont help someone in need

I guess those of us who like it here, are in a blissful state of confusion

outside of all of this....

maine is the safest, most beautiful state in the whole country

Old 06-03-2012, 05:40 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,544,749 times
Quote:
You'll find all of that here. "The culture, lifestyle" suggests one of each. Maine doesn't have a culture or a lifestyle, it has many of both. You'll find a small city with office jobs and nightlife and remote woods where the nightlife consists of fireflies (they're out now), campfires and wildlife. Lifestyles and cultures vary from one end of the coast to the other. If you have a sense of adventure you'll never be bored.

Old 06-03-2012, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
but I am caucasian-partial french descent. think i will fit right in

Old 06-03-2012, 06:51 PM

414 posts, read 303,240 times
Quote:

I was down in South Florida (Jenning Beach, Pembrook Pines and Aventura) visiting family for a week in May. The whole time I was there I kept saying to my wife "Wow, this is literally the opposite of Maine. It is 100 degrees, 100% humidity, there is no culture, and I am pretty sure we are going to get murdered."

I'm just a lurker and a Mainer wannabe, so I'm not gonna pretend I can help you beyond saying Maine is my favorite place on Earth. I did grow up in the Lower Hudson Valley and still live here now. It is a pretty nice place, DM me if you have any questions.

Old 06-03-2012, 06:56 PM

827 posts, read 1,672,912 times
Quote:
but I am caucasian-partial french descent. think i will fit right in

You betcha you will. Up in Aroostook County and in Biddiford / Saco area it's LOADED with them french critters. LOL

Old 06-03-2012, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NS4Life View Post
I was down in South Florida (Jenning Beach, Pembrook Pines and Aventura) visiting family for a week in May. The whole time I was there I kept saying to my wife "Wow, this is literally the opposite of Maine. It is 100 degrees, 100% humidity, there is no culture, and I am pretty sure we are going to get murdered."

I'm just a lurker and a Mainer wannabe, so I'm not gonna pretend I can help you beyond saying Maine is my favorite place on Earth. I did grow up in the Lower Hudson Valley and still live here now. It is a pretty nice place, DM me if you have any questions.
i disagree, i believe south florida has LOADS more culture than traditional maine. miami could have the most culture in the united states. good info

Old 06-04-2012, 04:53 AM

570 posts, read 1,340,604 times
I've never lived in Maine () but I can tell you that every trip we have made has been so relaxing we that we always want to stay. Driving over the bridge into Maine really is like a breath of fresh air. We have always found the Mainers we encounter to be down to earth, genuinely nice people (note: by 'nice' I don't mean overly effusive, which wouldn't be a good thing IMO anyway). For courtesy to fellow man, it is almost like stepping back in time a few decades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine