Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 06:28 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,607,644 times

Advertisements

Portland if it wasn't too cold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 06:41 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,360,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_atw View Post
I was scanning the real estate one day and came across a place in Cutler with some few acres of oceanfront, a beach, and a beautiful cape for $175k. Anywhere else a place like that would cost 3-5 times as much. If I was 15 years older and life was "easier" I'd hop on it. I fear by the time I'm old enough to get my own slice it'll be all gone
Cutler is nice, gets some tourists too.

When I first came to Maine shopping for a home, NAA Cutler was on my list of places I wanted to see. It was only after I had been here that I began to hear about other places.

Cutler is the biggest highest power VLF transmitter we have. They transmit at 24khz with over a Million watts of power, the SSIXS broadcasts. Along with: Lualualei, Jim Creek, Aguada, and Holt [down in Oz].

Old 09-01-2012, 06:44 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,360,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Portland if it wasn't too cold.
You think it might get cold down in Portland? I would imagine that Houlton should be a tad cooler than Portland.

Old 09-01-2012, 07:04 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,390,120 times
FWIW, I never get so hot anywhere as when I am in a house in Maine during a cold snap where the wood stoves are a blazing. I can hardly sit in the living rooms or kitchens because they get so hot because they have to heat the rest of the house too. I actually have to go back to CA to cool off. So, don't worry about the cold too much. You can find heat sources, I assure you. And the only thing I can tell people from the warmer winter states is that living in a cold climate is exciting. You don't get bored because there is probably something to do or prepare for. And it keeps you energized and in a healthy mood. OK, that's my Maine Visitors Bureau message of the day.

Old 09-01-2012, 09:57 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,127,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
We were there recently and stopped in Ellsworth. It was nice (so was the other places we went) but it is too cold up there in the winter for me.
Cold temperatures are all about GEAR. Hot temperatures are about just dealing with it.

When you are inside, if you have a good wood stove and reasonable insulation you will be toasty warm. When you are outside, and in a car then you have heat. When you are outside with just yourself, you wear down and you are toasty.

In the summer when you want air conditioning, you open a window. In the extreme heat day(not wave), one or two in the entire summer when it might reach 90, the humidity never gets above 78%, and you run a fan. And the night time temps NEVER go above 70, and are mostly in the mid 60's. air conditioning is a waste money since in the summer you don't need it---big savings on electric bill.

Its never sticky hot, nor does it get so hot that you can barely walk around without being in AIR C.

Been in PA, MD, VA, and NC summers. They are hot sticky nightmares. Winter in Maine is just about gear and a good wood stove, summer is great, fall is heavenly. and to beat it all, the grass grows slower in Maine, so you don't have to constantly out there in the sticky hot heat mowing the dang lawn.

Old 09-02-2012, 03:06 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,885,476 times
[quote=slyfox2;25907647]OK... I live near Ellsworth. The ants are European fire ants, and they have no natural enemies with other ants or anyone else; they are very aggressive. But realistically they are only really a problem during July and August. They were introduced in Maine in the 1920's and are moving north and south. Recently they made it to Canada.

Ice and snow is not really a big deal. Buy a Subaru or other AWD or 4WD vehicle AND GET WINTER TIRES. If you are retired, its not really a big problem, just don't go out. Roads on the coast get plowed pretty quickly. I have two of these vehicles now, one a small Subaru, and one a giant Ford Explorer AWD. But do buy winter tires. Regular tires simply become rock hard at about 45 degrees F, and no longer hold the road. You can get someone to plow your driveway, or you can get a blower and do it yourself. I have one that I'm modifying to do my stone drive way. I'm taking off the little tires and putting the WIDE ones from my riding lawn mower on it(with chains), and putting the fronts on a set of old cross country skiis on the little 2 inch by 1 inch skidder in the front. I expect this to work great.

As to townspeople fighting, Around Ellworth, I've not seen this. There are people fighting everywhere, mostly drunks, I think.[/quote]

THe comment was about Eastport, not in or near Ellsworth. Quite a bit of squabbling and "in your face" antics here. But, elections in November and contracts expire in April and hopefully the flat out lies and deceit will end.

As to winter tires, I've lived here most of my life and only spent money on those once. I got them for a T-Bird that had nothing in the butt. Had a pickup as a teen and never used snows (and we used to get a lot more of it back then, it seems)Now, with a "Pius", we have no trouble without snows. I just drive as if I'm a sane individual. But if you DO buy snowtires, do yourself a favor and buy and extra set of rims to mount them on. It saves time and money making it easier to changing them yourself with no mechanic. Any 4wd would suffice. Personally I prefer Jeeps. I've had an '89 (ex got custody) and now drive a '98. Tough old birds; no engine or drivetrain problems ever.

Old 09-02-2012, 03:09 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,885,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
Only grumpy people live in Brooklin......

Hopefully my rarely Grumpy friend in Brooklin reads this.... See you Wednesday???

Ahhh; haven't you heard? Brooklin is the garden spot of Maine. Shangri-La, don'cha know. Everything is peacefull and the population is alway of good humor.

Old 09-02-2012, 08:30 PM

2,028 posts, read 3,346,284 times
Lots of good info in this thread. Thanks for the info about the fire ants, and the winters.

I do have a large, 4WD pickup truck. I DONT have to go out, i shop online for almost everything - except for produce and a few other things. I have bad knees so would be paying someone to do the snow shoveling/plowing.

I also cant buy a fixer-upper for that reason (knees). I need something pretty much move-in ready except for cosmetic stuff.

Also dont want a condo or mobile home. I've lived in an apt., mobile home, and house - and i choose house. I dont have any problem being across the street from the water; if there are views from my house that is fine. Some houses listed surprise me tho and are not year-round ready. No good for me!

I LOVE winter... i'm hoping i can find a place with a woodstove and/or fireplace. I have a woodburning one and propane one now and love them.

Old 09-03-2012, 07:58 AM

44 posts, read 102,025 times
North Haven Island. Great caring community, peaceful, and stunning beauty.

Old 09-03-2012, 10:01 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,204,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
Ahhh; haven't you heard? Brooklin is the garden spot of Maine. Shangri-La, don'cha know. Everything is peacefull and the population is alway of good humor.
I've heard this too, its the hempfest of the downeast area...thought it was just folklore
I thought I smelled something peculiar when I walked into that store in Brooklyn, In fact Ive been in the upstairs of that store a few years back and the owner said they had "discreet" meetings up there
nowwwww it's making sense...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine