Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2013, 07:40 AM

28 posts, read 63,256 times

Advertisements

I was listening to some music on Youtube yesterday, and ran into the following ad for a silly upcoming movie: "Grown Ups 2" (
GROWN UPS 2 - Official Trailer - In Theaters 7/12 - YouTube). I was forced to wait for my clip to load and noticed that @ seconds 20-23:
- Some random shot of Acadia National Park
&
- Downtown Camden, ME

As someone looking to move to that area (Camden, Rockport, Hope, Lincolnville), I was excited to see this. I suppose my excitement came from the fact that almost no one supports my desire to move to Maine for a random myriad of reasons, and seeing that the movie was shot in areas that I love reinforces the notion that if used as a movie location, it must have some sort of mass appeal. I guess, just knowing that someone else finds those places beautiful is "supportive" to my desire.

(Disclaimer: I don't think the move was actually shot in Maine, but those Acadia/Camden images were just used in the trailer)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 09:25 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,547,503 times
What reasons are they giving you to not move to Maine? Why did you decide to move here? If plan to move to Camden bring your check book.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:39 AM

Hi Newdaawn,

Most of the push-back comes from my family and friends, who live on the West coast nowadays (California, Idaho, Arizona). These are the common things I hear:
"It's too far away"
"There's 'nothing' to do there"
"The winters are too cold and long"
"It's too overcast on the coast-line"

I don't find much merit in most of those statements:
- "It's too far away": With proper planning, I can see my family just as much as I see them today. Maybe more, if they fly out to visit me in Maine.

"There's 'nothing' to do there": I disagree. Real estate is much cheaper than where I live (Sun Valley, ID), and I'd be able to buy a few acres and setup a subsistence farming operation. Also, the area I'm looking to move to has a lot of cultural activities going on. And, it's only a few hours drive to Boston. I'm also looking into starting my own custom handmade furniture business, so I'll be busy building up inventory for that.

"The winters are too cold and long": It's true that Maine has long, cold winters. However, growing up on the Canadian border near Toronto, and having lived in the Rocky Mountains for many years -- their statement just doesn't hold water. Winters are 8 months long here in Sun Valley.

"It's too overcast on the coast-line": I don't mind this all that much. I'm kind of a busy-body and find stuff to work on and do all the time. I lived in the San Francisco Bay Area for 7 years, and it was overcast/rainy quite a bit there -- which didn't really affect me at all.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:44 AM

Oh!
1. Why did I decide to move there:
I've visited the area a few times and really enjoyed myself each time. The beautiful hills meeting the coast-line -- fishing (fresh, salt) will be amazing! Being able to buy a few acres (which I can't afford here in Sun Valley) is possible there -- so I could setup a little subsistence farm (I'm a big time gardener and orcharder). Also, all the history and the locale of being close to major metropolises is very attractive. Lastly, I LOVE small towns.

2. Bring my check book:
Yes. The areas I'm looking to move to are indeed exponentially more expensive than a lot of areas in Maine. However, as compared to Sun Valley, and compared to where a lot of my family lives in Northern California, it's actually quite affordable.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:37 AM

1,031 posts, read 2,447,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorySpackman View Post
Most of the push-back comes from my family and friends, who live on the West coast nowadays (California, Idaho, Arizona). These are the common things I hear:
"It's too far away"
"There's 'nothing' to do there"
"The winters are too cold and long"
"It's too overcast on the coast-line"
It is far away from lots of metropolitan areas, but that's how charm is preserved! If you love the outdoors there a million things to do, cold weather only lasts from October to April (not too bad), and it's really not as overcast as you'd think. It's really cloudy through late fall and the winter, but once spring comes it's sunny or partly cloudy more often than not. The major reason to put some more thought into whether to move is your family; will they be willing to fly out to Maine? If they aren't, are you fine with only seeing them once or twice a year by flying back west?

Old 04-11-2013, 09:04 AM

Thanks for the input and considerations! I love my family, but I rarely see them nowadays, and I'm only a 12 hour drive away from them. I was thinking the best way to mitigate my family's concerns about never seeing me is to plan season-by-season trips back west or to my new place. That would actually result in me seeing my family more than I do now. I think the real push-back from the fam comes from the notion that I'm not "readily available" to visit, being relatively close to them. I understand their concerns, and would likely be expressing the same to one of my nuclear members of my family if they wished to move somewhere far away.

Regarding being far away from metro areas: You're spot on with you statement of how charm is preserved. Here in Sun Valley, ID, the beauty of the Rockies and our mountain town culture is preserved because it's pretty hard to get here. A lot of folks skip over this area because of that -- leaving it wonderful for local residents and rich folks/celebrities that pour their money into our valley.

I can't wait to make the move, but am currently at the mercy of the real estate market. Bought my house at the height of the market, and couldn't sell it for what I bought it for (AKA "underwater"). But, you can complain about living in Sun Valley, and it gives me time to dream/plan on my Maine move. Someday, I hope to have something like this in Maine:
http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs71/f/20...nm-d4wczty.jpg

Old 04-12-2013, 05:01 AM

1,884 posts, read 2,894,622 times
I think there's a thread on CD on movies filmed in Maine....or maybe it's movies where the setting is in Maine....or both. Peyton Place for one .... I remember the view from Camden Hills State Park (Mt. Battie). Another that comes to mind is Man Without a Face. Here's a link to one of the threads. http://www.city-data.com/forum/maine...set-maine.html

and another http://www.city-data.com/forum/maine...ies-maine.html

or maybe you would enjoy the Geddy's web cam http://www.geddys.com/geddycams/videocam/

Last edited by mainegrl2011; 04-12-2013 at 05:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: