Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 03:39 PM

119 posts, read 263,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
Gee, photos too.
Well, yeah. Of course there are photos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 08:07 AM

701 posts, read 1,083,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Well I'm done for the year. I got a nice mature doe around 115-120 pounds this afternoon. We didn't think today was going to be all that great of a hunting day due to last night's storm. The storm rolled out early and the afternoon in Southern Maine was real nice. Quiet, still and warm...unusual for November but a great deer day.
Nice acorn fed doe....she'll be fine eating!

How is everyone else doing??

Very nice I have no hunters in my family, but some of my boys are achin' to try...........

How many pounds of venison will you be able to get off of a deer that size? I'm guessing that the weight (115-120 lbs.) is full weight before you gut it? ( I really don't know the lingo )

Old 11-10-2010, 09:06 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,677,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosX5 View Post
Very nice I have no hunters in my family, but some of my boys are achin' to try...........

How many pounds of venison will you be able to get off of a deer that size? I'm guessing that the weight (115-120 lbs.) is full weight before you gut it? ( I really don't know the lingo )
That weight was dressed weight (gutted out) and doesn't include the heart and liver. Live weight I'd say she was right around 140 pounds or so. I have a spring scale that is accurate to within 5 pounds or so that's why there is the 5 pound spread. She's still on the scale and it still reads 115 after hanging for two days. It's a pretty good sized mature doe. That tends to be the average size for a 3-4 year old mature doe in Maine. I have seen north woods does that weighed 150 pounds dressed. That's a BIG doe!
We bone out the meat. We don't use a meat saw or a bone saw so there are no bones or bone chips to deal with at all. You can figure maybe about 40 pounds of meat from a deer that size if it's all good meat. That is a rough estimate. Sometimes they get shot up pretty badly and you'll lose a lot of meat. Sometimes there is no damage to the meat at all and you get everything.
I don't think this one was shot up badly so we should do well with it. I won't know for sure until I get the skin off of it tomorrow or Friday. It's not full of holes and the heart and liver were intact so that's a good sign. Buckshot CAN make a mess but I think it will be fine.

Last edited by Maineah; 11-10-2010 at 09:17 AM..

Old 11-12-2010, 10:50 AM

263 posts, read 626,389 times
What are the Bow season times in Maine?

Old 11-12-2010, 01:56 PM

701 posts, read 1,083,618 times
Quote:
That weight was dressed weight (gutted out) and doesn't include the heart and liver. Live weight I'd say she was right around 140 pounds or so. I have a spring scale that is accurate to within 5 pounds or so that's why there is the 5 pound spread. She's still on the scale and it still reads 115 after hanging for two days. It's a pretty good sized mature doe. That tends to be the average size for a 3-4 year old mature doe in Maine. I have seen north woods does that weighed 150 pounds dressed. That's a BIG doe!
We bone out the meat. We don't use a meat saw or a bone saw so there are no bones or bone chips to deal with at all. You can figure maybe about 40 pounds of meat from a deer that size if it's all good meat. That is a rough estimate. Sometimes they get shot up pretty badly and you'll lose a lot of meat. Sometimes there is no damage to the meat at all and you get everything.
I don't think this one was shot up badly so we should do well with it. I won't know for sure until I get the skin off of it tomorrow or Friday. It's not full of holes and the heart and liver were intact so that's a good sign. Buckshot CAN make a mess but I think it will be fine.
Funny that a "dressed deer" has less on it's body than when it started out that morning..........

Happy eating Maineah!

Old 11-12-2010, 02:14 PM

23,566 posts, read 17,245,407 times
Default bow seasons plus

Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife - Archery Hunting

Old 11-12-2010, 10:02 PM

414 posts, read 303,506 times
awesome fox pic!
buddy of mine just returned from a week at the mt. chase lodge, didn't catch sight of even one deer....

Old 11-14-2010, 05:58 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,677,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NS4Life View Post
awesome fox pic!
buddy of mine just returned from a week at the mt. chase lodge, didn't catch sight of even one deer....
All the deer are in Southern Maine now. Northern Maine had several severe winters that really devastated the herd. It's been tough on the guides and sporting camps as word has spread among the hunters. Save your money, don't bother going to Northern Maine for deer.

Old 11-15-2010, 07:29 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,656,712 times
We have had some nice size ones come in for tagging at the store where I work in central Maine (just northish of Bangor) and the count is up a little bit from last year... but the hunters are still having to work for their meat.

I have tagged more larger ones this year than last, though.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:16 AM

414 posts, read 303,506 times
yeah, apparently there were moose tracks around, but not many other signs of life. two of these guys are from central penn. where there are a ton of deer and the other guys from CT and Downstate NY, where there is massive deer overpopulation. they had already bagged a few this year. they go up there as much to enjoy the isolation and quiet as the hunting, its a yearly thing for them.

the owners of the lodge did say biz is bad and that it is up for sale.

Quote:
All the deer are in Southern Maine now. Northern Maine had several severe winters that really devastated the herd. It's been tough on the guides and sporting camps as word has spread among the hunters. Save your money, don't bother going to Northern Maine for deer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine