Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 09:48 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,583,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
I wimped out today. I didn't want to go to the coast to hunt with DH and his dad. I've been nice and warm making Christmas wreaths instead. I haven't decided on muzzle loading yet.
I don't blame you. I wimped out on making wreaths and rope this season. It was far too easy to just sell the brush and move on. It allowed me to purchase a couple of nice rifles, Marlin 45-70 that is practically new and an old Marlin 30-30. Its never been slung or scoped, has nice wear in all the right places, gorgeous patina.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2010, 10:55 AM

17 posts, read 39,935 times
What's tipping? It was mentioned a couple posts back.

Old 11-27-2010, 07:37 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,557,160 times
We weren't going today but dropped everything at the last minute and went. Steve tracked two. They went in a circle and walked beside his tracks. The buck I wasn't sure of at the moment was shot by someone Wednesday. He had a hard time being sure because the deer didn't come off the treeline. I found fresh tracks from one deer, two coyotes, one fox, turkeys and an ermine.

There's a 20' x 20' area near one of the cabins that's a wreck. Two bucks fought yesterday. There are small broken branches, the ground is torn up and there's blood on the snow and even on trees and brush. That would have been a great sight to see. It's a half mile as the crow flies from where the two bull moose fought two weeks ago.

Muzzle loading next week? I haven't decided. I want to but I have assignments stacking up and deadlines hanging over my head.

dixieswife, tipping is breaking branches from balsam trees to make Christmas wreaths. The going price here is .35 cents a pound.

Old 11-28-2010, 02:10 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,019,764 times
Only had two days to hunt deer this season and yesterday was the last. Hubby put me on to a buck he routinely tracked over a week and, sure enough, the 3 pointer showed up on cue around 9:15 a.m. I had a bead on his chest at 39 yards while I struggled to see antlers. the deer turned walked about 10 yards diagonally away from me by the time I could identify the rack, but then I couldn't see his silhouette clearly through the brush. By the time I decided I needed to fire he flicked his tail and strolled directly away into the shadows. Total duration of event--2.5 minutes.
I think hubby is drawing up divorce papers as we speak.

Old 11-28-2010, 06:01 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,686,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyankee View Post
I don't blame you. I wimped out on making wreaths and rope this season. It was far too easy to just sell the brush and move on. It allowed me to purchase a couple of nice rifles, Marlin 45-70 that is practically new and an old Marlin 30-30. Its never been slung or scoped, has nice wear in all the right places, gorgeous patina.
My first rifle was a Marlin 30-30. I sold seeds and had a paper route to pay for it. I was only 16 at the time so my Mother had to fill out the papers and buy it for me. We got it at King's department store in Falmouth in 1974 for $89.00 brand new. I shot my first deer with that rifle and many more since. I still have that rifle today 36 years later and it's in excellent condition..

Old 11-28-2010, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
Only had two days to hunt deer this season and yesterday was the last. Hubby put me on to a buck he routinely tracked over a week and, sure enough, the 3 pointer showed up on cue around 9:15 a.m. I had a bead on his chest at 39 yards while I struggled to see antlers. the deer turned walked about 10 yards diagonally away from me by the time I could identify the rack, but then I couldn't see his silhouette clearly through the brush. By the time I decided I needed to fire he flicked his tail and strolled directly away into the shadows. Total duration of event--2.5 minutes.
I think hubby is drawing up divorce papers as we speak.
Glad you got a chance to get out tcrackly! If someone had divorced me for every deer I missed or didn't fire at I'd be on my 100th marriage!! The stories themselves are the memories we charish over the years. It would be SOOO boring to hear people talk about how they shot their deer every year. It's the screw-ups and mishaps that keep it interesting. You'll be sharper next year.

Old 12-02-2010, 11:14 AM

23,582 posts, read 17,262,317 times
Default Ask santa

Maine Writer,

Glad you passed until you were sure of your shot. Suggest carrying binocs to find those antlers hidden behind those long ears.

Always, always carry a grunt tube or small set of antlers with you to rattle. Sometimes just wacking a branch against another branch works.

Vocalizations you can make by mouth also work. An 'Erp' sound made with your deepest diaphramatic grunt and one move that worked when all other sounds failed.... make an 'ahh' sound in your throat by pulling air in with your diaphram muscle. Sounds like a creaking door or clicking sound. Bucks do this when rejected by a doe they walk up to sniff.

Please ask Santa for a grunt tube.

When you are faced with a buck walking out of your life you have nothing to lose by trying a couple fo grunts. When it works, it seems like magic, otherwise it doesn't seem to bother the deer no matter how loud and how still the air.

The stories of deer almost becoming venison will far outnumber the stories of a successful conversion. Your on the right track...now go get a grunt tube insurance policy!

Old 12-02-2010, 12:06 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,019,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Maine Writer,

Glad you passed until you were sure of your shot. Suggest carrying binocs to find those antlers hidden behind those long ears.

Always, always carry a grunt tube or small set of antlers with you to rattle. Sometimes just wacking a branch against another branch works.

Vocalizations you can make by mouth also work. An 'Erp' sound made with your deepest diaphramatic grunt and one move that worked when all other sounds failed.... make an 'ahh' sound in your throat by pulling air in with your diaphram muscle. Sounds like a creaking door or clicking sound. Bucks do this when rejected by a doe they walk up to sniff.

Please ask Santa for a grunt tube.

When you are faced with a buck walking out of your life you have nothing to lose by trying a couple fo grunts. When it works, it seems like magic, otherwise it doesn't seem to bother the deer no matter how loud and how still the air.

The stories of deer almost becoming venison will far outnumber the stories of a successful conversion. Your on the right track...now go get a grunt tube insurance policy!
I had the deer caller...in the OTHER jacket pocket, along with the binocs. And I think he was spooked by activity behind me in the nearby dirt trail (dog walker). Just wasn't meant to be.

Old 12-02-2010, 09:13 PM

Many people do not know of deer whistling. Deer whistle to each other in close proximity. It's a faint fading whistle and you have to be close to them to hear it. Often I will sit in the yard with a campfire and listen to them whistle back and forth to each other in the summer. I know it's deer as I will hit them with a flashlight now and then and can see their eyes. They use it as a audio check to be sure they're not alone. It's interesting to experience.

Old 12-03-2010, 05:52 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,557,160 times
I had binoculars with me but it was too dark in that corner. And I have a great grunt. I grunted at him a lot. He'd blow at me but he wouldn't come off the treeline. I've never heard a deer blow the way he did. I've heard a lot of deer but it was always a loud, swift blow. This one was long and steady. He did come off the treeline and close to the center of the five acre feed plot prior to that day but only because there were does in the field. They didn't shoot him then because the camp rule is nothing less than six points unless you're under 16 (or female but that's a gripe better saved for hunting camp ).

I learned yesterday that a local elementary school has hunter safety in the fall for kids 10 and over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine