Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 02:07 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
So basically it's a hurricane in the winter! Didn't even think about that before I moved up here. I love the cold. I just don't like going without power. When was the last time you all had a good nor'easter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post

Nor'easter slams Central Maine - YouTube

Pay particular attention to the difference between the interview with the 'young' David and the 'older' David (around 1:05). It's quite a contrast.

As for me, I'm in the 'older David' category. You see, in my book, 'younger David' should have had ample warning to have stocked up well before the storm hit, and shouldn't have been concerned about having to drive in the snow at all.

Then again, I keep pretty much everything I need for anything all year around. It's really not that difficult, and 'drama' is typically painful for me.

I think you'll do just fine.
THANKS for the video!! Most educational.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
one thing i saw someone do that was quite intriguing- was to put strands of duct tape across a bay window, from one side of the frame to the other( not on the window, tho many people do so it wont shatter as much) this may soften the blow of any branches that may come straight on to the window
That may, but it probably won't. Duct tape, even though tons of people still do it, doesn't really deter much at all. The best thing to do if you think you are going to get hit with a storm like that is plywood or shutters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Hi Mainers, My thoughts and prayers are with you all. The word down here in the Chicago area is that it will weaken to a tropical storm when it hits you. I will keep my fingers crossed. Three wolves what an ironic twist of fate. Good luck to all of you.
I'm serious! Where I work, one of the regulars came in and we got to talking about the hurricane/tropical storm and how we didn't think it was going to be that bad here. I then mentioned how I had just moved from Miami mere months ago.

They replied, "Well why did you bring that sh*t up here with you?!"

LOL!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
We were up in Bangor last February when a small nor'easter came through. It was fantastic! We had to stay an extra day and then headed down to Portsmouth NH where they received a foot. I was so depressed when we came home as there was very little snow. Three days later we had the great blizzard. It was wonderful (except for working 26 hrs with 5 hrs. of sleep) If you love snow you are in the right place. I wish I could roll in some now.
I love snow. I miss the snow. I miss crazy and wild weather...we had some crazy weather in Miami for sure but I didn't get a winter to speak of.

Again, I love all of it as long as my power isn't out for too long. After Wilma, it was a week without power. I was set, our boss paid us anyway, (best boss I ever worked for EVER and not just because of that), the weather was actually really pleasant the week after Wilma so I got my sleeping bag out, put it on the living room floor, got my Gilligan radio and listened to all the people and about the damage, wrote a week long letter to my best friend and periodically would go outside and mingle with the neighbors. Oh and each night I had a candle lit dinner.

It wasn't so bad, really and it did tend to make the people a little nicer...some of them, not all, but again, I like my power because I have to recharge the phone, (until I get the cigarette lighter outlet in my car fixed), and I like the computer. Oh, and it wasn't freezing like it will be here. Other than that, I'm fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2011, 02:11 PM

Local weather just said winds around 25-40 mph. Eh, that's nothing, really. Think it will be more rain than wind to worry about, in this area.

Old 08-27-2011, 02:39 PM

48,138 posts, read 22,007,656 times
Default Preparation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Local weather just said winds around 25-40 mph. Eh, that's nothing, really. Think it will be more rain than wind to worry about, in this area.
I am wondering about bringing heavy steel mesh deck chairs in......they offer no resistance to the wind...it can pass right thru them. I think we should put the heavy plate-glass table top flat on the floor of the deck....it must weigh over 75 lbs....it takes the two of us to lift it. I am not convinced about the gas grill......but it wouldnt be hard to lift it into the mud room. All the light flower pots and stuff are in.....oh I best take care of t he garden cart.

Old 08-27-2011, 04:20 PM

2,724 posts, read 6,426,329 times
They just announced we could get 3" of rain/hour here tomorrow.

Old 08-27-2011, 04:25 PM

90 posts, read 171,669 times
I'm just hoping my corn and sunflowers don't take too much hell.

Old 08-27-2011, 04:38 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,549,100 times
I think that 3" an hour of rain was a "misspeak". I heard it too then later heard 3" total. By the time it reaches central Maine it may be a category -1.

Old 08-27-2011, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I am wondering about bringing heavy steel mesh deck chairs in......they offer no resistance to the wind...it can pass right thru them. I think we should put the heavy plate-glass table top flat on the floor of the deck....it must weigh over 75 lbs....it takes the two of us to lift it. I am not convinced about the gas grill......but it wouldnt be hard to lift it into the mud room. All the light flower pots and stuff are in.....oh I best take care of t he garden cart.
Oh yah, you reminded me of some plants I still have in pots...dang...where am I going to put those. And yah, poor garden...after all that hard work...I hope it holds up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
I think that 3" an hour of rain was a "misspeak". I heard it too then later heard 3" total. By the time it reaches central Maine it may be a category -1.
It has to be...NC got 14" rain total, I believe is what I read. Three inches of rain an hour is a LOT of rain and I didn't even experience that in a Cat 3 hurricane. I sincerely hope that was a misspeak!

Old 08-27-2011, 07:29 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,902,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
not all but many of the lobster boats moored in a harbor are somewhat protected from the open sea

if they are saying go to deeper water with the traps- the ideal is of course to haul them out- but if you cant, get them offshore where they wont be banged against ledge and rocks

the traps today are made of wire, not wood, much more durable
Not to mention that it takes WEEKS, not hour or days, for a lobsterman to haul up all of his traps onto land (And then to reset them would take as long again in a few days). I know it's a minor point, but for someone to assume that taking traps up is an easy undertaking is grossly underestimating the amount of work it takes to do so. My father (he's a lobsterman) has been shifting and lengthening out his traps yesterday (put in a good 12+ hour day) and today (close to another 12 hour day). The boat is still in the water, but he's moored in a pretty protected cove.

Old 08-27-2011, 07:35 PM

Hey..those of you in Eastport and Bar Harbor, be careful. Scroll across bottom of TWC, local weather, says that Bar Harbor could experience storm surge up to 12.5 feet and Eastport up to 20.5 feet!

Be. Careful!

Old 08-27-2011, 08:05 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,199,237 times
Exclamation Be SAFE MAINE FRIENDS!!!

Dear Maine Friends!

I hope you are all SAFE during Hurricane Irene!
Please stay INSIDE & be SAFE!
Someone got killed in another state when he went to
check how things were in his yard
My thoughts & prayers are with you & your loved ones!
Take care,

(((HUGS)))

Country

Last edited by countrylv22; 08-27-2011 at 08:48 PM.. Reason: Missing ALL of my MAINE FRIENDS, including my DEAR MERMAID!Hope everyone is WELL!:)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine