Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2008, 12:43 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,086,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bewitched View Post
My biggest (and least rational, I know...) fear on this big earth is sharks.
I about wet myself...LOL
Sharks I can deal with...spiders (and other little crawly things) give me the heebie-jeebies.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:45 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,427,137 times
Yep, I've seen too many episodes of JAWS! Anyone remember JAWS: 3D when it hit the theaters many moons ago? I do!! Gave me nightmares!!

Old 01-10-2008, 01:06 PM

454 posts, read 886,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Sharks I can deal with...spiders (and other little crawly things) give me the heebie-jeebies.
ACK!!
You just mentioned my other big fear...lol
HATE spiders....and I don't care HOW little they are...

Old 01-10-2008, 01:11 PM

837 posts, read 1,711,990 times
Used to scuba dive. Our instructor always told us that sharks were no problem--you just whack them on the snout and they leave you alone. Guess that's true. Fortunately, I never had to try it!

Old 01-10-2008, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
Yep, I've seen too many episodes of JAWS! Anyone remember JAWS: 3D when it hit the theaters many moons ago? I do!! Gave me nightmares!!
OMG!

YES, I remember!

In 1981, my girl scout troup (HEY! No laughing!) went to florida, and parts of Jaws 3 were filmed in Seaworld while we were there. We got to see them filming the scene where the girls are on the water-skis up in a pyramid during a show, when one falls off and gets ummm....eaten.
Even though they announced they were filming, and not to panic, that the shark WAS NOT REAL, ...they wanted the show audience to react as if it were, as it was going to be part of the scene for the movie.

Well, I didn't have to act...lol

Even though I knew it was fake, the sight of it coming up out the water scared the soul right out of me.
Some of my friends waited in line hours to get a picture taken with the "shark"....you couldn't even get me back in the ampitheatre, not to mention down by the water!

Some of the girls swore they could see us in the crowd during that scene when the movie came out....I couldn't tell you if that were true or not, as I usually have my hands over my eyes by then...lol

Old 01-10-2008, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bewitched View Post
ACK!!
You just mentioned my other big fear...lol
HATE spiders....and I don't care HOW little they are...
Those big, black and yellow Orb Weavers *really* give me the willies. I think those are about the meanest looking spiders I've ever seen.

Old 01-10-2008, 01:49 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,427,137 times
Just got a really disturbing phone call from my mom. Apparently, my soon to be EX brother-in-law's best friend since elementary school days just killed himself in my BIL's house. My sister is on her way now to pick him up and get him out of there while the authorities do what they have to.

Please say a few prayers for him. She said he's devasted and can't quit crying. I'm sure! The aftermath will not be pleasant either. He was not home at the time, but someone called to have him come home, so he saw his friend. I just can't imagine having to witness that!

Old 01-10-2008, 01:52 PM

That's definitely a "bummer".

Old 01-10-2008, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Those big, black and yellow Orb Weavers *really* give me the willies. I think those are about the meanest looking spiders I've ever seen.
What IS it with the spiders here in Maine???

I've never seen spiders as big and creepy as I have here in Maine. And I mean INSIDE the house. And some are downright furry...
FURRY, Zymer!!!....what the hell is with THAT???

We will be sitting in the living room minding our own business watching a movie, and all of a sudden out of the corner of your eye you'll see one crawling across the floor. Even the dogs run from them...lol

Some of these nasty things are big enough that I start contemplating whether a spider could walk with 6 legs, as the other two would be holding a struggling human!

Never trust a spider. Something with the ability to crawl in one direction, then switch directions in a nano-second is just up to no good as far as I'm concerned!

I may be the nature-loving, cauldron-stirring, crunchy-granola chick who believes in live and let live, and intellectually knows that spiders are here for a reason, helping to control the insect population and all that..

....but if I see one, all bets are OFF.

Old 01-10-2008, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
Just got a really disturbing phone call from my mom. Apparently, my soon to be EX brother-in-law's best friend since elementary school days just killed himself in my BIL's house. My sister is on her way now to pick him up and get him out of there while the authorities do what they have to.

Please say a few prayers for him. She said he's devasted and can't quit crying. I'm sure! The aftermath will not be pleasant either. He was not home at the time, but someone called to have him come home, so he saw his friend. I just can't imagine having to witness that!
How awful

My thoughts are with him...and your family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine