Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2008, 02:18 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,656,712 times

Advertisements

Oh that is just terrible... I will light a candle and say my words for his peace of mind as soon as I get back to the studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
Just got a really disturbing phone call from my mom. Apparently, my soon to be EX brother-in-law's best friend since elementary school days just killed himself in my BIL's house. My sister is on her way now to pick him up and get him out of there while the authorities do what they have to.

Please say a few prayers for him. She said he's devasted and can't quit crying. I'm sure! The aftermath will not be pleasant either. He was not home at the time, but someone called to have him come home, so he saw his friend. I just can't imagine having to witness that!

Old 01-10-2008, 02:23 PM

874 posts, read 1,856,395 times
Quote:
Just got a really disturbing phone call from my mom. Apparently, my soon to be EX brother-in-law's best friend since elementary school days just killed himself in my BIL's house. My sister is on her way now to pick him up and get him out of there while the authorities do what they have to.

Please say a few prayers for him. She said he's devasted and can't quit crying. I'm sure! The aftermath will not be pleasant either. He was not home at the time, but someone called to have him come home, so he saw his friend. I just can't imagine having to witness that!
Wow, El that is just awful. (((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))

Old 01-10-2008, 02:26 PM

37,474 posts, read 61,432,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bewitched View Post
OK, I just have to share this...

A friend from down under sent this to me, and ...well, it speaks for itself.

A family was on holiday in
Australia for a couple of weeks, and the husband, wife and their 15 year old
son decided to go scuba diving. The husband is in the navy and has had
some scuba experience, so they pack up, charter a boat, and go. His son wanted a picture of his mum and dad
in the water with all their gear so he got the under-water camera ready to go, and into the water they went.
They chose a spot only about 20 feet deep, that had great light exposure from the sun through the water. The dad and mum pose, and the dad notices that the son looked
like he was panicking as he took the picture, so he gave the "OK" hand sign to let his son know everything was fine.

The son took the picture and swam to
the surface and back to the boat as quick as he could so the mum and dad
followed to see if he was OK. When they got back to him he was
scrambling onto the boat and absolutely panicking. When the parents
asked why he said "there was a HUGE shark behind you" and the dad thought he
was joking. The skipper of the boat said the little mate was telling the truth, but the parents assumed he was just trying to add to the boy's excitement. The son was insistent, so as soon as they got back to the hotel they
loaded the picture onto the laptop and this is what they saw.

That is great

Old 01-10-2008, 02:26 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,388,314 times
I'm so sorry for the pain this has brought your family.

Old 01-10-2008, 02:40 PM

411 posts, read 899,313 times
Quote:
Wait for me! Wait for me!! Don't start without me...... I've decided I'm NOT on a diet this week. I just can't do it. I've been good for a while now, really! I've even lost 6 pounds since Christmas! I deserve a break. DH is home for a few days, and we're being very bad!! It's all his fault, of course. He's out now buying ice cream and cookie dough.
Awesome job on the weight loss El! You are doing wonderfully!!! I wish I was doing that good, I've noticed some weight drop, but not that much. Don't have a scale, so have no idea. I'm just cutting back on fat, although I DID eat two small whoopie pies today from LaBree's bakery in Old Town. Bad, bad girl I am!!!

Old 01-10-2008, 02:46 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,192,983 times
Quote:
What IS it with the spiders here in Maine???

I've never seen spiders as big and creepy as I have here in Maine. And I mean INSIDE the house. And some are downright furry...
FURRY, Zymer!!!....what the hell is with THAT???...
At work I was walking through the woods between my building and the cafeteria. I saw John, the custodial guy for our building who's from the Dominican Republic. He was crouched down on the trail poking at something with a stick. It was a big hairy spider and he was trying to get it to move off the trail so it wouldn't get stepped on. I said "Wow, that's a big spider!" He looked quizically at me and answered "You think this is a beeg spider??"

I put them (_little_ spiders) to good use here in my old 1935 house in the basement. When I moved here there were lots of webs around the foundation. A "light bulb" went off and I realized the webs were at food sources - where air leaks and bugs flew in. I found and patched leaks and cleared out all the webs. A few weeks later a couple of new webs had formed showing leaks that had been missed. Fixed them and keep an eye out for new webs. There is a problem corner where new webs still form. So far they serve a useful purpose and haven't invited any of their beeg hairy relations.

Old 01-10-2008, 02:48 PM

Quote:

Oh, this is just terrible. Prayers being said for your BIL's well-being after this, and for the family of the man who did this.

Old 01-10-2008, 02:50 PM

Quote:
What IS it with the spiders here in Maine???

I've never seen spiders as big and creepy as I have here in Maine. And I mean INSIDE the house. And some are downright furry...
FURRY, Zymer!!!....what the hell is with THAT???

We will be sitting in the living room minding our own business watching a movie, and all of a sudden out of the corner of your eye you'll see one crawling across the floor. Even the dogs run from them...lol

Some of these nasty things are big enough that I start contemplating whether a spider could walk with 6 legs, as the other two would be holding a struggling human!

Never trust a spider. Something with the ability to crawl in one direction, then switch directions in a nano-second is just up to no good as far as I'm concerned!

I may be the nature-loving, cauldron-stirring, crunchy-granola chick who believes in live and let live, and intellectually knows that spiders are here for a reason, helping to control the insect population and all that..

....but if I see one, all bets are OFF.
I'm with you all the way sister!!! I HATE those spiders!!! All spiders, but those are the worst. Hubby calls them "wood spiders". I wish they'd stay in the woodPILE, and not in my house! They are icky icky icky!

Old 01-10-2008, 03:39 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,192,983 times
Default This forum is hazardous to your health

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
Now how the heck am I supposed to explain a midnight run to the nearest Tim Horton's to my wife????

The forum made me do it! The forum made me do it!
Dagnabbit! The forum made me do it too - all this talk about fritters and doughnuts Just got back from the grocery store and I was forced to buy a bag of KK crullers. Although I hope to show self restraint and make this one pound "single serving container" last for two "sittings" With tea this evening and the rest with coffee tomorrow morning.

I haven't eaten a doughnut in years - but its' the forum's fault

Crullers... When I was a kid I worked in an Esso (backwards "3" sso) gas station. Humble Oil Company Houston TX. "Esso Extra" was 39.9 "Regular" was much less and you could put a buck's worth of gas in the car and drive around all day. And there was no self service then, so there was always about three guys to put gas in the customers' cars. Plus clean the windshield, check the oil, and put air in their tires if they asked.

On Sundays, there was a special treat that we all looked forward to. The frugal manager always did something out of character and you never knew when it would happen. Sometime in mid morning, without any warning, "Frank" would hand a $10 bill to one of us three and tell us to go up the street to the Dunkin Doughnuts and get a couple of boxes of "snow tires." That's what he called crullers. Fresh, hot crullers... that would be enjoyed by Frank, the pump guys and the mechanics. Plus the _very_ bestist, coolist part was THAT YOU GOT TO DRIVE THE REALLY COOL (!!!) TOW TRUCK !!! Wow oh wow, talk about something to excite and please a teenage boy

Oh My... well I guess I'll go now and enjoy my doughnuts, and think about those wonderful days. Its' one of the good things about getting older

Old 01-10-2008, 04:03 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,106,027 times
El I'm sorry to hear that

on a lighter note though.....did you know that the boat in the first Jaws movie--the regular looking fishing boat--was built by George Harris Sr in Eastport?

hate spiders. has anyone ever seen a "dock" spider?? nuff said.

QW you're a hoot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine