Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2012, 02:50 PM

157 posts, read 327,797 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
I apologize if this question has been previously answered, and if so, maybe a senior member could point me to the link.

We are now researching to purchase land, a waterfront coastal lot anywhere from Harpswell northern up through even Eastport, Milbridge, Lubec from a FSBO seller. More specifically,and here is the hard part, is it possible to find a lot where well and septic are already in place, or has public water and sewage?

We would be looking to build on the lot within the next few years and (dare I say) using our late model Class A smaller type RV while we work on the build. The most important criteria is a township with relatively lower real estate tax rates, and no more than one hour drive to pharmacy and medical care.

Will this turn into Mission Impossible? Or might our mission be dependent on local township ordinances permitting us to make seasonal visits during construction?

Been checking Craigslist , FSBO websites, and the Maine mls but thought there might be local online newspaper sources you could recommend.

BTW, you might recal we were up your ways backin early May 2011 for an exploratory visit and checked out communities from Haprswell, west Bath, Booth Bay, Arrowsic Phippsburg Trenton, Lamoine, Surrey, Gouldsboro .Schoodic Point areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 04:23 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,888,747 times
I don't know of anywhere that a vacant lot would have a well dug or septic installed. Septic systems are designed by the number of bedrooms so you at least need that to get started. Wells need to be 100 ft from the septic so you don't want a well drilled before you know where the best place is for the septic.

If you're looking at the taxes Eastport has a fairly high mill rate (almost $22 per thousand). You can look up towns tax rates, etc, by county then town on here:

http://www.maine.gov/revenue/propert...0/section2.pdf

Maine Revenue Services: Property Tax -

Old 01-10-2012, 04:27 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,243,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
I don't know of anywhere that a vacant lot would have a well dug or septic installed. Septic systems are designed by the number of bedrooms so you at least need that to get started. Wells need to be 100 ft from the septic so you don't want a well drilled before you know where the best place is for the septic.

If you're looking at the taxes Eastport has a fairly high mill rate (almost $22 per thousand). You can look up towns tax rates, etc, by county then town on here:

http://www.maine.gov/revenue/propert...0/section2.pdf

Maine Revenue Services: Property Tax -
About the only way a well and septic would be on a vacant lot, would because there had been a major fire, or a house trailer was moved...

Old 01-10-2012, 07:02 AM

48 posts, read 123,758 times
Check out Uncle Henry's. There's an Acreage/Vacant Lot category under Real Estate.
Home | Uncle Henry's

Old 01-10-2012, 06:24 PM

157 posts, read 327,797 times
AustinB and retired bender, your reply makes total sense, thank you for bringing me back to this Maine reality.

hennybenny, Wow Uncle Henry's as a classified source was a new one to me and very much appreciated, I am almost ashamed to share that my initial read on the Uncle Henry link was a literal read , that is , you were sending me a link to Uncle Henry's lot that was for sale Uncle Henry is definitely worthy of a new " favorite Maine bookmark" for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine