Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 07:08 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,890,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maine4.us View Post
Ditto for me Tinbender. I am glad to see someones water/sewer bill comparable to mine....I thought I was getting ripped off. You didn't add in electric, for us that is about $110 a month.

Plus you didn't mention the job situation around this neck of the woods.....
Yeah, the $32,500 is for those lucky enough to find work outside an art gallery/museum. I think CD needs to update their town profiles. That's a high figure IMO.

$110 a month??? You need to shut off some lights every so often. Mine averages $55-$65 a month and that includes my streetlight. Water and sewer are minimum costs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 07:34 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,245,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
Yeah, the $32,500 is for those lucky enough to find work outside an art gallery/museum. I think CD needs to update their town profiles. That's a high figure IMO.

$110 a month??? You need to shut off some lights every so often. Mine averages $55-$65 a month and that includes my streetlight. Water and sewer are minimum costs.
Not every one in Maine lives like a bat.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:53 AM

11 posts, read 16,728 times
Why would anyone move to Maine? Why not? My husband and I (retired) are new to Maine and our experience has been quite positive so far. Everyone we meet is very friendly. My husband teaches skiing and he has been impressed with how bright the kids are. He taught skiing in another state and he said the people here are so much more interesting. We're not far from Bangor so anything we want is close at hand. Medical seems excellent and the population is quite diverse. There are lots of cultural events offered, and many non-credit courses available. It's like anywhere else, we need to seek out the people we enjoy. I think everything is in the average range for pricing. Gas, a bit higher, not a lot of sales in the supermarket. To me grocery prices seem higher than what we were paying, but it all probably balances out depending on one's lifestyle.

Old 02-23-2012, 09:42 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,133,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshdw View Post
Gas, a bit higher, not a lot of sales in the supermarket. To me grocery prices seem higher than what we were paying, but it all probably balances out depending on one's lifestyle.
If we go to the Hannaford, its about $230 for weekly shopping. If we do the same shopping at Walmart, its about 175. We go to Walmart. We rarely buy red meat, so we don't buy that there but at Hannaford or Shaw, but we do buy Purdue Chicken. In other areas, Walmart has all the same products for much cheaper.

However, the shopping experience at Walmart is just plain yucky, and the temperature in the store is about 50F.

Old 02-23-2012, 01:34 PM

11 posts, read 16,728 times
Seems like a smart move Sly to buy your meats elsewhere. I agree, Walmart is just plain yucky. I have a new reason not to like Walmart. Recently, I was told that Walmart educates its employees on how to apply for Medicaid since they don't provide health insurance coverage. I wonder if Walmart's founder would have approved of that move.

Old 02-23-2012, 03:31 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,241,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
If we go to the Hannaford, its about $230 for weekly shopping. If we do the same shopping at Walmart, its about 175. We go to Walmart. We rarely buy red meat, so we don't buy that there but at Hannaford or Shaw, but we do buy Purdue Chicken. In other areas, Walmart has all the same products for much cheaper.

However, the shopping experience at Walmart is just plain yucky, and the temperature in the store is about 50F.
do you know what makes purdue chicken skin so yellow-ish????

Old 02-23-2012, 04:08 PM

10 posts, read 30,372 times
Mainbrokerman do we really want to know the answer to that? Ha ha.

Old 02-23-2012, 04:39 PM

468 posts, read 759,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
do you know what makes purdue chicken skin so yellow-ish????
I thought it was feeding the birds marigold and other yellow flower petals?

Old 02-24-2012, 05:36 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,551,229 times
I am astonished that a poster here is paying $110 a month for electric. Ours has NEVER been over $50 and that would be for a very cold month in winter. Mostly it runs around $35 to $40. We have a gas dryer but all the other things are electric including stove.

Old 02-24-2012, 05:55 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,245,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
I am astonished that a poster here is paying $110 a month for electric. Ours has NEVER been over $50 and that would be for a very cold month in winter. Mostly it runs around $35 to $40. We have a gas dryer but all the other things are electric including stove.
Don't be astonished. A lot of people pay over $100 a month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine