Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 11:02 PM

37 posts, read 73,827 times

Advertisements

I have a possible job opportunity out there.

I can't find much for places to rent...

Is there anything out that way?

How is the tax situation?

Is it possible to live off of 31k?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2012, 05:12 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,887,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menoch View Post
I have a possible job opportunity out there.

I can't find much for places to rent...

Is there anything out that way?

How is the tax situation?

Is it possible to live off of 31k?
There's not a lot to know about Cutler. Taxes are cheap with a mill rate of $11.25 in 2010. Nice, quiet, backwoods area. I enjoy riding the motorcycle from East Machias through there over to Lubec. Those places would probably be the best for finding a rental. You might also try real estate agents around there; Due East comes to mind. Town of Cutler, Maine - Photos

The Navy used to run Cutler used to run a small but important (and cool)base there. Fairly dormant except for the antenna now. VLF Transmitter Cutler - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Civilians run the fire and ambulance and I believe the housing area was turned over to civilians too.

Old 02-12-2012, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
There's not a lot to know about Cutler. Taxes are cheap with a mill rate of $11.25 in 2010. Nice, quiet, backwoods area. I enjoy riding the motorcycle from East Machias through there over to Lubec. Those places would probably be the best for finding a rental. You might also try real estate agents around there; Due East comes to mind. Town of Cutler, Maine - Photos

The Navy used to run Cutler used to run a small but important (and cool)base there. Fairly dormant except for the antenna now. VLF Transmitter Cutler - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Civilians run the fire and ambulance and I believe the housing area was turned over to civilians too.
The job I'm looking at is actually at the base. Is 31k enough to live off though?

Old 02-12-2012, 03:22 PM

1,884 posts, read 2,895,216 times
Have you visited Cutler? There's not alot there, maybe 700 people live there--no offense to Cutler. The Maine Coast is beautiful. Maybe you would consider renting a room in someone's house--it would cost a lot less than renting a place of your own....You could temporarily stay in a motel in Machias and eat at the yummy restaurant "The Blue Bird Ranch Family Restaurant" while you get to know some local people and look for a place to live. Word of mouth or a local bulletin board might be helpful for finding a place. Is it possible to live off $31,000? depends on your lifestyle expectations...Answer a few questions (not on the forum) and do the math: 1) What is your monthly take home pay going to be? 2) Do you have a car payment--how much? 3) How much do you plan on spending for food, gasoline, etc. per month? I know two families of four who each live on an earned income of about $35,000 a year; they don't have a lot of extra money. They don't go hungry; they have clothes, a car, gas for it, and a roof over their heads.

Here's one listing in Cutler on craigs list that includes utilities: heat, etc.--furnished for $975 per month; unfurnished for $875 per month. Beautiful sunsets-All utilities included (http://maine.craigslist.org/apa/2834311127.html - broken link)

I was looking at the USA Jobs website yesterday and saw a position advertised in Cutler--guessing that might be the one you're looking at.

Old 02-12-2012, 04:26 PM

3,036 posts, read 5,887,882 times
Quote:
The job I'm looking at is actually at the base. Is 31k enough to live off though?
I don't know, not knowing you. I lived in Bangor for a while on a bit more than that. It kind of depends on your lifestyle. I'd hate to tell you yes based on my own life and be wrong.

Old 02-12-2012, 08:20 PM

I don't mind the small town enviroment at all. Actually myself and my fiance are looking for that. 1 concern though in her regard is that she is a case manager within the social work field and I can't imagine there is much in the way of employment for her in that field there (I could be wrong).

I lived in RI stationed there for 3 years, and only visited Kittery once before. That's to the extent of my experience with ME.

My lifestyle isn't very extravagent, but I remember RI being pretty costly as far as cost of living so I'm just curious as how it compares to ME especially that area.

Old 02-13-2012, 03:45 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,242,141 times
Quote:
I don't mind the small town enviroment at all. Actually myself and my fiance are looking for that. 1 concern though in her regard is that she is a case manager within the social work field and I can't imagine there is much in the way of employment for her in that field there (I could be wrong).

I lived in RI stationed there for 3 years, and only visited Kittery once before. That's to the extent of my experience with ME.

My lifestyle isn't very extravagent, but I remember RI being pretty costly as far as cost of living so I'm just curious as how it compares to ME especially that area.
There may be something in Machais that your wife could do. Not much call for anything like that in Cutler.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:01 AM

48,132 posts, read 22,004,457 times
With regard to cost of living in cutler maine.....wikopedia gives the following demographics:

median income for a household in the town was $30,625
median income for a family was $35,313.
Males had a median income of $26,490 versus $15,625 for females.
The per capita for the town was $13,170.

Based on those figures which I believe were from 2000.....the $31,000 income would put you about smack dab in the middle.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:18 AM

32 posts, read 58,914 times
I was actually stationed at the base at Cutler for 3 years 1994-1997. The area is beautiful, with plenty of outdoor activities. There is not to many houses around the former base area. I actually lived in East Machias and drove to work everyday. There is no reason your shouldn't be able to live off 31000.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:18 PM

846 posts, read 1,020,312 times
There is a Maine State Veterans Home in Machias, perhaps some social work jobs there?

Maine Veterans (http://www.maineveteranshomes.org/machias-blog/ - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine