Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 03:02 PM

22,921 posts, read 28,273,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
Yes, but........Money Magazine is probably heavily focusing on the financial aspects, not the horrendous crime rate.
Very much so. Money's rating is geared toward the city's "business climate," not its family climate.

I've been to Houston, and I completely understand your desire to leave. Maine's economy is certainly struggling compared to Texas, and I'd pick anywhere in New England over SE TX any day of the week.

Best wishes on your move!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2006, 05:00 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,842,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
Yes, but........Money Magazine is probably heavily focusing on the financial aspects, not the horrendous crime rate. Comparing national crime statistics, the national average for violent crime is a 3, L.A. California is a 6, NYC is a 5, Houston, TX is 5 and Dallas is also a 5. The national property crime stat is also a 3, with L.A. being a 6, NYC a 4 and Houston a 5 and Dallas a 5. Portland, ME with the highest stats in the state are 2 on the violent crime scale and 3 on the property crime scale.

So, continuing to raise my children in the Houston area is NOT an option for us when our crime rates have scaled right up there with NY and LA. Not for us, anyway.
Money did consider crime rankings. Sugar Land has a significantly lower crime rate than Houston. And, Houston is so large, you will find crime rates will vary greatly by zip code as well.

Old 09-21-2006, 05:07 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,842,829 times
Here's the link to the rankings: http://money.cnn.com/magazines/money...006/index.html

Old 09-21-2006, 05:36 PM

3,266 posts, read 5,633,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkx7 View Post
BobTex- you make winter seem like a nightmare. Just dress appropriately and it's fine. I wouldnt say winter is "6 months" maybe what you mean by that is that 6 months of the year you cant wear a t-shirt. 2-3 of those "6 months of winter" means wearing a light jacket/sweater outside, the other 3 months is wearing winter hat and jacket. And really there usually isnt any heavy snow on the ground until late December, which begins to melt in March.
__________________________________________________ _______________

Not meaning to make it "sound like a nightmare", just my perspective as someone who grew up in Texas and is acclimated to this climate.......it is EXTREMELY different. You did see the funny face posted after MY assessment of Maine winters? You are acclimated to Maines winters but I doubt these Texans will be able to follow your dress recommendations the first couple of winters.....maybe, but I doubt it.

(Nightmare???????.....I never even mentioned it getting dark by 4:30 in the afternoon, nor the endless muddy slush in the roadways from the sanding. I realize Maine has 4 seasons too almost winter(fall?), winter, getting over winter(spring), and the short cool nites and warm days season (summer?)..... )........Before you get all worked up this is not an attempt at seriousness !

As I hope you noticed I was pretty positive about Maine and was as truthful as I think I could be to a fellow Texan....in other words it was my honest OPINION. As far as 6 months of winter........I saw the Penobscot freeze in November to March off and on......now for a river to freeze I'd call that a winter. If one has below freezing temps I consider that winter.....sound like a good assessment to me.....but we all have different opinions!

I love Maine and have considered moving back. Just calling it like I saw it. And I say its wicked accurate!

Old 09-21-2006, 05:50 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,422,756 times
I'm a firm believer in "you get what you pay for" and we are more than willing to bite the bullet and tighten our belts to provide a better quality of life for our kids. And we'll just have to start buying winter clothes on the after season clearance racks this year so we'll be stocked up before our first noreaster! Bob, we'll be sure to keep our ears covered!

Old 09-21-2006, 08:43 PM

423 posts, read 1,931,098 times
Bob- I was not trying to be mean, and I wasnt really mad at you, I'm just giving you a hard time. I guess I'm just used to the seasons. You bring up a good point about the the sun setting so early. To me, of course I like summer better than winter but I think if I didnt have any winter it wouldnt make spring and summer as special. And winter does have its advantages as well as the season changes.

Old 09-21-2006, 08:55 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,422,756 times
Dark is around 5:30 during the Texas winter also. That's not so different. And I'm convinced that I can put enough clothes on to stay warm, but I haven't figured out a legal way yet to take enough off to stay cool!

Old 09-21-2006, 10:49 PM

you know it's winter when you are wearing long-underwear, or long-johns as we call them here

Old 09-22-2006, 04:33 AM

439 posts, read 721,546 times
Money Magazine and another Pop survey 'Places rated almanac' allow for several criteria, Economics predominates, but they take into consideration the Arts, weather, transportation and yes crime. What they FAIL to investigate is 'social criteria' -a rather subjective view on peoples attitudes in that state or region.

Read about a couple who retired to the 'ideal community' in the south, that was much more affordable then their previous location in the Northeast.

The couple soon realized that they had made a big mistiake- they used the book Book 'Places rated Almanac' which failed to take into account 'culture'- and that turned out to be a major issue for them.

Money magazine is fine- but by failing to take on the rather subjective but important componet of culture- as Places Rated they leave a major hole in their evaluation process.

Old 09-22-2006, 08:04 AM

all these things are biased anyways- who knows how many of them have even visted the places they are talking about
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine