Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 07:06 AM

489 posts, read 1,211,273 times

Advertisements

A lot of Suburu talk on this thread. In the coming weeks, I am going down to Overland Park, Kansas to visit my son (1 of 4( He has a 2002 Suburu Forester, currently 120,000 miles. He bought it new and has it religeously serviced by dealer. He recently bought another new car so he is offering me the Forester for what Car Max offered him - $2000. Needless to say, I am going to accept his offer.
It comes with $700 Suburu bucks also. Got to find out if I can use them under my name or if the original/current owner can only use them. I googled that fact but got different info. Probably best if I check with my local dealer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 08:08 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,131,283 times
PM me if you want more information on the Stanley Lifetime Warranty offer on all their cars less than 85,000 and less than 9 years old. I can't say that information publicly. Its a good deal, except for a couple of special circumstances.

Old 08-31-2012, 03:36 PM

I can also say that the stereo typing of Used Car salesmen at that dealership that I just bought the car from in Ellsworth has lived up to the bad name that used car salesman have. I'm really not used to that. I guess I've been treated to a very exceptional used car dealer in Mid Atlantic where I came from. I really like the car though.

Old 09-01-2012, 04:43 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
Thats why I like Wiscasset Ford- they have one low price on used cars- no haggling
this is not an advertisement- I get their flyer in the mail and they seem to have excellent used car prices
they also have a website to view prices

Old 09-01-2012, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
Thats why I like Wiscasset Ford- they have one low price on used cars- no haggling
this is not an advertisement- I get their flyer in the mail and they seem to have excellent used car prices
they also have a website to view prices
My problem was not price haggling. It was offering things, and then my asking questions about them, and then finding that what they told me was dead wrong after the sale was done. I used a used car place in mid Atlantic for almost 30 years that was honest as the day is long. If they said something, that was the way it was, and if they miss-spoke then they felt obligated to do their miss-spoking, even if it cost them something.

For example, the company's offered Lifetime PowerTrain Warranty. It really is a lifetime warranty, but it requires that you take it to the dealership for an oil change no more than 4750 miles or its void. Sounds great; I do my oil changes at 3000 miles like clockwork! So I asked about what I would do if I was traveling out west. They said that I should take it another dealership and have the oil change done. When I was signing the papers, I find that it has to be done at the dealer I bought the car from. This means that I cannot travel much further west than Omaha Nebraska, or I lose my warranty. Also, any warranty service can only be done at the dealership, so if you have a powertrain breakdown in Omaha, you MAY on your own. This is a clear violation of the Moss Magnudsen Federal Warranty Act. I'll fight it but I doubt if I'll prevail. By the time my case comes before the FTC, the car will be too old to care. They said that the Lifetime Warranty adjuster would come and look at the car and have this taken care of. They simply made that up. There is no Lifetime Warranty guy to come look at the car.

Another was where the salesman said that they put new tires on the car as I was picking it up. They looked sort of new. When I looked at them more closely at home 11 miles away I realized that that they cleaned the sidewalls really well and that they were far from new. After calling, the salesman back less that 24 hours after picking up the car, he said that he did indeed say that they were new, and would take care of it. He calls me back about an hour later and says that the was "a miscommunication between his service manager and him, and he misspoke".

I've learned that while the cars seem great(and this car looks like its new, no rust anywhere, obviously the previous owner took care of it), NEVER BELIEVE ANYTHING THAT THE SALES PEOPLE SAY WITHOUT SEEING IT IN WRITING, OR ON THE CAR. They are the typical stereotype of the "used car salesman".

Compared to regular people in Maine, these people must have moved here from New Jersey(no offense to New Jersey).

I would have trouble sleeping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: