Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 02:38 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,131,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwiluver View Post
, I learned on here that what NMLM says you can take to the bank.
I suspect that NMLM may have visited the bank before you wrote this. And maybe this is why you are going to the bank.

Did he hire the Kiwiluver Advertising Agency?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2017, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
I suspect that NMLM may have visited the bank before you wrote this. And maybe this is why you are going to the bank.

Did he hire the Kiwiluver Advertising Agency?
Didn't mean this to be offensive, so please don't. I just got an infraction somewhere else because I told someone that they were a pizza snob because they said the only good pizza was in New York City.

I thought everyone knew that the best pizza was available only in Maine. I guess they didn't.

Last edited by slyfox2; 01-07-2017 at 05:17 PM..

Old 01-08-2017, 06:56 PM

642 posts, read 1,256,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
I'm proud of your for getting up early so that you could stop every car on the street and check to see if they had studs on.

Yes, that is correct. Sparsely populated road, know them all well, including what they drive.

Old 01-09-2017, 09:44 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,082,573 times
I've never had studded tires...but there have been a few times when I wished I did.

And until very recently, I never owned a set of tire chains...but I do now...and I have had to use them.

"It is better to have and not need than to need and not have" is a phrase that is true for more than just carrying a gun. Sometimes, being 'prepared' can make a world of difference.

Old 01-09-2017, 05:22 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
The town I live in is all within flood plain. The road through our town follows along side the river. It is effectively a river road. Sections of our road are built on a base of floating logs. When fog comes off the river and the ground is frozen a sheet of ice forms on the pavement. That ice is extremely slick.

We have spent our fair share of time getting yanked out of snow banks [at least local folks are understanding and helpful].

We have gone through straight winter tires and again we have been yanked out of snow banks.

We shifted to studs on the front and it was a big improvement. Since we made that shift not once have we had to get yanked out of a snow bank.

For better handling we eventually shifted to using studs on all 4 tires.

When I praise studs it is from personal experience.

A month ago I met one of our neighbors at the gas station in Old Town, he gave me a warning about how bad the black ice was. While he was in Old Town he had wanted to go visit a girlfriend [one of many], but at the intersection to her house the road was covered with black ice so his pickup truck kept going straight. He could not even get his truck to slow down when going by the intersection. He was upset that he was not going to be able to pay her a visit because the black ice was so bad. I have often heard him tell about how he is a fourth generation Mainer, and about how terrible it is that he can't find a girlfriend in our town, which forces him to travel 'away' to visit girls living in other towns. In my mind, I do not see how he got to 60 years old without realizing that maybe better tires would help him to visit these away girls.

Old 01-10-2017, 09:48 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,082,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
When I praise studs it is from personal experience.

A month ago I met one of our neighbors at the gas station in Old Town, he gave me a warning about how bad the black ice was. While he was in Old Town he had wanted to go visit a girlfriend [one of many], but at the intersection to her house the road was covered with black ice so his pickup truck kept going straight. He could not even get his truck to slow down when going by the intersection.
A while back, I was tootling up 95 on my way to work at about 4:30AM, going about 60. The road didn't seem too bad...and then I hit the first bridge crossing the Souadabscook. In the blink of an eye I was facing the median and traveling sideways...if I hadn't already taken care of it before I left, I might well have filled my drawers...I twitched the wheel and was just as suddenly facing the *other* side of the highway...I think I might have stopped breathing, and one of the thoughts running through my head was that I wasn't wearing a seatbelt and if I hit the end of the bridge still sideways, the wheels catching on the strip where the surface of the bridge meets the regular highway paving the truck was like as not to roll over...I twitched the wheel again and was almost straight when I hit the end of the bridge. There was a bit of twitching as I finally got it under control again.

I think I had just about started breathing again when I hit the second bridge...and repeated the experience almost exactly. You can bet your bippy I was wishing for studs. I got straightened out a second time, and figured that had just used up all of my luck for the next ten years so I pulled over, fastened the seatbelt and put the 4WD on...and crawled the rest of the way at about 35. I'm glad that at that hour of the morning the road was almost deserted and there was nobody else around me to hit.

Old 01-25-2017, 12:48 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,686,915 times
In some locales there are signs that say, "Bridges freeze before highways."

In Maine they figure that people learn that from their parents at age 4.

Old 01-25-2017, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
In some locales there are signs that say, "Bridges freeze before highways."

In Maine they figure that people learn that from their parents at age 4.
My car says that to me now.

Old 01-25-2017, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
A while back, I was tootling up 95 on my way to work at about 4:30AM, going about 60. The road didn't seem too bad...and then I hit the first bridge crossing the Souadabscook. In the blink of an eye I was facing the median and traveling sideways...if I hadn't already taken care of it before I left, I might well have filled my drawers..
Obviously a car without all the new fangled gadgetry: anti lock brakes, traction control and stability control. Those things keep you from doing stupid things that would cause your car to go into a spin. if turned the wheel to the right at high speed, it would simply ignore you, and take over the steering.

Idiot proofing. Soon your car will drive for you in addition to parking for you. And also you can set your car to tailgate. My son's auto distance tailgating on his Subaru can set the car at a distance in cruise control of ten feet behind.

Old 01-25-2017, 01:52 PM

87 posts, read 79,398 times
I'm here late to the party but it looks like I missed the pissing contest, so that works out. :-)

Does anyone use all terrain tires for snow and ice in Maine? I have a 1999 Suburban 2wd 2500 6.5 diesel that is going to be our vehicle when we move there. I was wondering if all terrains, being made for mud, etc, would do well on ice and snow. I find lots of folks using them out my way in CA, going skiing, etc, but I was wondering if anyone has experience with it out there with constant snow. Would I need a set of winter tires too, or just winter rated all terrains?

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine