Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 01:58 PM

846 posts, read 1,020,312 times

Advertisements

From looking at houses with my wife in Aroostook county. Looked at 4 houses Friday and 2 Saturday. She needed to be back at work today so we headed south down 11 Saturday afternoon in the snow storm. Nothing moved us to make an offer. We will return in two weeks to look at more. It was really hard to leave Maine. Someday soon I won't have to leave unless I want to!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 05:13 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,548,139 times
So it snowed in Aroostook County? The only snow we have seen here was a few inches in October but we were glad to have save roads for Thansgiving weekend. Good luck on your house hunting.

Old 11-26-2012, 07:51 PM

All the way from Fort Kent, through Eagle Lake, to Patten where we got back on 95. Was sticking to the grass, roads were fine at least around five o'clock. I expect there will be more when we return around December 10th or so. I am looking forward to it. To anyone reading this who is looking to buy a home away from where they live. Be prepared to be disapointed in the difference between the way a home appears in a photo, and when you actually view the home. Nobody's fault, just a statement. I hope our visit is more fruitful upon our return in a few weeks.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:54 PM

157 posts, read 327,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwiluver View Post
Be prepared to be disapointed in the difference between the way a home appears in a photo, and when you actually view the home. Nobody's fault, just a statement. I hope our visit is more fruitful upon our return in a few weeks.
kiwiluver- our experience exactly mirrors yours regarding photo images. You just really don't get the true feeling until you are in the homes! We have made 2 shopping visits from Maryland to the Washington County (Stockton Springs, Harrington, Jonesport, Hancock) saltwater coastal waterfront areas in the past 16 months We have a top 4, and actually did make an offer on one during our recent visit about a month ago. Seller accepted ( what they perceived as a better offer, then their deal fell through, and 2 new listings came on the market with greater appeal to us increasing the competition. We have plans to return within the next few weeks to see 2 new listings.

Best wishes on your next trip!

Old 11-27-2012, 01:25 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Quote:
From looking at houses with my wife in Aroostook county. Looked at 4 houses Friday and 2 Saturday. She needed to be back at work today so we headed south down 11 Saturday afternoon in the snow storm. Nothing moved us to make an offer. We will return in two weeks to look at more. It was really hard to leave Maine. Someday soon I won't have to leave unless I want to!
you went all the way to ft kent?? thats quite a ride

did you see any moose on rte 11?

going north of bangor on 95, and riding up rte 11, you can easily see maine is 90% trees

Old 11-27-2012, 02:46 AM

I always stay in Presque Isle at the new hotel there for the most part. I looked at homes in Fort Fairfield, Limestone, Caribou and New Sweden. Stopped at Frenchville for lunch (I forget the name of the place, it is a French Woman's name and we really like the food there), over to Fort Kent for the journey south. Yes it is 90% forested and that is what I enjoy as does my wife. As I have posted here many times, I used to live in the country here, however the city has come to me in the way of urban sprawl. I wish to live out my days in relative solitude if I so choose. If I choose to engage in society, it will be on my terms, not "in my face" as it is at present. Annapolis Sailor, the real estate game is not for the faint hearted is it? I have not bought a home in decades, I had forgotten how fun it can be! I also hope it all woks out for you. We had thought about Washington County, and it is not off the table if we see something that is within our budget and is livable. I do not wish to reside in Eastport on a postage stamp size lot, and all the other homes we see appear to be constructed out of unobtainium, as they are very expensive. I am in no rush to buy something I will regret in the future. This is our final stop on life's journey. I wish you well in your search as well.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:23 AM

35 posts, read 80,388 times
Kiwiluver.... i drove up to the Skow area two weeks ago to look at a camp---1350 miles later....if they had sent me one more pic.....i could have stayed home....right next to hwy,,,,,but on the bright side i found and bought a camp---in another area that i like a lot better---saw a liitle sign nailed to a tree....called the number and now have a camp ;-) in Maine~~~ Good luck on your search

Old 11-27-2012, 10:47 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times
Quote:
All the way from Fort Kent, through Eagle Lake, to Patten where we got back on 95. Was sticking to the grass, roads were fine at least around five o'clock. I expect there will be more when we return around December 10th or so. I am looking forward to it. To anyone reading this who is looking to buy a home away from where they live. Be prepared to be disapointed in the difference between the way a home appears in a photo, and when you actually view the home. Nobody's fault, just a statement. I hope our visit is more fruitful upon our return in a few weeks.
We've pretty much liked something about every house we've looked at. It's the location of some of them that we had an issue with. We saw a great fixer in Brunswick that had a parking lot in the back yard. We are looking for a Victorian to restore. Don't show me something that has painted wood, and has been turned into some contemporary nightmare. Finding that great old "Grandma" house that has all of it's character is proving to be difficult. We can fix anything if it's the right house. I'm hoping to be able to come out at the end of January if my ankle is healed by then. I was told it could take 6 months. I can't wait to eat some lobster again.

Old 11-30-2012, 01:02 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,080,994 times
The photos can be *very* deceptive. I looked at a house in Frenchville that real nice in the pictures, but seeing it was a different story altogether. It was all tilted and cockeyed, the floors sloped so badly that there was a 3" block under the front of the toilet to level it.

If you'd like to try a B&B instead of a hotel/motel, the Old Iron Inn in Caribou is a good place. The owners are good people.

Old 11-30-2012, 02:13 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,548,139 times
Aroostook county living will be VERY different from NC, especially in winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine