Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 10:50 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,130,367 times

Advertisements

If you are coming from Philly.... Imagine that philly is going through a depression in jobs. The number of jobs that are normally in Philly have been cut by a third. OK? Now imagine that all those Philly jobs are spread throughout a state that is 241 times bigger(145 sq miles vs 35,000 square miles).

This is why you need to find a job in Maine before you come---unless you are in the health industry, afe independently wealthy, or are retired and have income/pensions that you are bringing into the state.

I wanted to come here when I was working. Just couldn't find a job. Am here now that I'm retired---job no longer an issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 05:12 AM

1,884 posts, read 2,895,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
This is permanent status. once you put funds into social security for 30 years, at the dollar numbers in each year that they specify, which really means any full time job, then you cannot have your SS taken away.

I know of a teacher who taught in New Your for 20 years, came to Maine to be a teacher, and taught for only a year, and lost their ENTIRE SS PENSION.

Its nasty. Maine teachers and a few other states have this situation. There are many states which do not. Congress has so far resisted fixing it.
Yes, I know. That's why I posted the info. I do not remember ALL the specific details, but apparently about 14 states opted out of social security for those eligible for state pensions when they had the chance. This was something the states involved chose to do so now you want the federal government to "fix" it? I see it as a money saver/budget balancer to the states/local school systems because if they were collecting social security from teacher's paychecks, as employers they would be required to pay a matching amount of FICA to the federal government. Now, they collect a percentage from teacher's paychecks (8%?) and most likely match it. The school systems save on payroll taxes/expenses. Teachers have more $ take home pay because they are not paying in to social security while employed as a teacher in the Great State of Maine. It would behoove them to take the money NOT being deducted for social security and put it in some other type of retirement account. Despite the state and school systems saving money on FICA payroll taxes, "they" recently raised the percentage deducted from teachers' paychecks to fund the retirement system. I forget how many million in the hole the teacher retirement system has plunged.

With regard to the teacher you mention from New York. Apparently, he/she hadn't reached "permanent status" (120 quarters) with social security. This is the most extreme case I've heard about. Do teachers in NY pay into BOTH the teacher retirement system AND social security while employed as teachers? Usually, a teacher's social security would be safe (paid in either in another state or in Maine while not working as a teacher) as long as they didn't collect a Maine pension. Since you say the teacher only taught one year in Maine, he/she wouldn't have been vested in the retirement system in Maine (need 10 years) so he/she wouldn't have been eligible to collect a pension from Maine--could have just withdrawn any pension payments made to the Maine retirement system.

I think it's great that this discussion has come up. When people are in their 20's just starting out in a career sometimes they don't think much about retirement. Forty years from now or sooner, the Maine teachers may be thrilled that they didn't pay into social security if social security and/or medicare benefits become obsolete, benefits have been cut in half, the retirement age has been raised to 80, etc. Last I checked, Maine retired teachers have to pay half of their health insurance premiums--the bright side is at least they have health insurance and aren't totally dependent on social security and medicare.

Think about all the people who have had social security deducted from their pay for their entire working lives....I just heard on the news that the government wants to cut Medicare by $300 billion. Should we consider that an example of the federal government "fixing" something?

Last edited by mainegrl2011; 11-30-2012 at 05:27 AM..

Old 11-30-2012, 06:03 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,201,168 times
[quote=slyfox2;27146988]
I know of a teacher who taught in New Your for 20 years, came to Maine to be a teacher, and taught for only a year, and lost their ENTIRE SS PENSION. /QUOTE]

The SS offset law is federal law, so I don't understand how the states could have anything to effect it (other then to not offer a pension).

Old 11-30-2012, 06:53 AM

1 posts, read 1,061 times
In an ideal world, yes, it would be lovely to have a job before you moved to Maine. And better yet, get your employer to pay for relocation expenses. The reality is that is not going to happen.

How bad to you really want to move to Maine? And why? Do you just want to escape the crowds, cut your living expenses and live in vacationland? Or do you really want to change your way of life and embrace the Maine lifestyle? If that's the case, then first find where you really want to live.....mountains, coast, small village, "big" city, then move there. You'll figure out how to make a living. Maybe you won't find your ideal job and maybe you'll even have to work 2 or 3 jobs, if if you really want to be here, you'll figure out how to make it work. And yes, come during the winter. While the weather really isn't that bad, depending on where the are, the closures of restaurants, stores, etc and slow down in activity sometimes takes some getting used to.

If you really want to move here. Then just do it. If you don't like it, you can move.

I speak from expereince. Grew up in Central NJ. In 2003 moved to Nova Scotia for 6 years and 3 years ago made the move back home to the US to mid-coast Maine and will never, ever move again!

Old 11-30-2012, 04:50 PM

[quote=bangorme;27148833]
Quote:
I know of a teacher who taught in New Your for 20 years, came to Maine to be a teacher, and taught for only a year, and lost their ENTIRE SS PENSION. /QUOTE]

The SS offset law is federal law, so I don't understand how the states could have anything to effect it (other then to not offer a pension).
Take a look at the windfall elimination provision as well as the offset law. They're not the same thing.

I was trying to respond to bangorme, but the quote got a little messed up somehow.

What pensions will affect Social Security? Windfall Elimination Provision | Social Security: Information & Updates

Retirement Planner: Windfall Elimination Provision (WEP)

Government Pension Offset - Social Security Publication 05-10007

Old 12-02-2012, 05:31 PM

2,771 posts, read 4,531,611 times
Quote:
If you are coming from Philly.... Imagine that philly is going through a depression in jobs. The number of jobs that are normally in Philly have been cut by a third. OK? Now imagine that all those Philly jobs are spread throughout a state that is 241 times bigger(145 sq miles vs 35,000 square miles).

This is why you need to find a job in Maine before you come---unless you are in the health industry, afe independently wealthy, or are retired and have income/pensions that you are bringing into the state.

I wanted to come here when I was working. Just couldn't find a job. Am here now that I'm retired---job no longer an issue.
NY Long Island here. I too wanted to move to Maine. However, even with a job lined up, my wife would take a 25% pay cut as an R.N. I would take 20% +/- pay cut as a civil servant due to locality pay. It just did not work out financially. So, even with a job (which is very hard to come by in any state) the numbers have to work out.

Eventually we will buy a small cabin/vaca home.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
NY Long Island here. I too wanted to move to Maine. However, even with a job lined up, my wife would take a 25% pay cut as an R.N. I would take 20% +/- pay cut as a civil servant due to locality pay. It just did not work out financially. So, even with a job (which is very hard to come by in any state) the numbers have to work out.

Eventually we will buy a small cabin/vaca home.
If you followed sailorgirl2's advice (not that there's necessarily anything wrong with it), you would be willing to change your way of life, maybe live in a smaller house, maybe drive a less expensive car, maybe work two or three jobs, maybe change your way of thinking to "jobs to make ends meet" rather than thinking "ideal job" or "career." Did you ever think you could have bought a cabin and been living in it all along rather than eventually? Just a few thoughts--I realize it's entirely up to you where you live and work.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:20 AM

2,771 posts, read 4,531,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
If you followed sailorgirl2's advice (not that there's necessarily anything wrong with it), you would be willing to change your way of life, maybe live in a smaller house, maybe drive a less expensive car, maybe work two or three jobs, maybe change your way of thinking to "jobs to make ends meet" rather than thinking "ideal job" or "career." Did you ever think you could have bought a cabin and been living in it all along rather than eventually? Just a few thoughts--I realize it's entirely up to you where you live and work.
If I stay where I am (NY-L.I.) I could afford a small cabin in Maine for a vaca home. If I move to Maine I would NEVER be able to afford a small vaca home here in NY

The point for me to move to Maine is NOT to work 2-3 jobs. Thats what it would take for me to make the same salaries we make here in NY. I realize EVERYONES situation is different. If my wife and I could of taken a SMALL pay cut, it would have been worth it for us. However, a 40-45% combined pay cut is way too much. Even with the high cost of living here in NY, my everyday/housing expenses are not 40-50% of our combined salries.

Anyway, love it up there. I hope within 2-3 years we find our cabin. It really is a great place! I am 45-60 min to the Hamptons (believe me, where I live, its a small basic 3 br ranch here, in a middle class area. NOTHING LIKE THE HAMPTONS) I always tell my wife, Maine is like the hamptons (but nicer) WITHOUT the attitude.

Old 12-03-2012, 07:55 AM

357 posts, read 1,019,300 times
Quote:
If I stay where I am (NY-L.I.) I could afford a small cabin in Maine for a vaca home. If I move to Maine I would NEVER be able to afford a small vaca home here in NY

The point for me to move to Maine is NOT to work 2-3 jobs. Thats what it would take for me to make the same salaries we make here in NY. I realize EVERYONES situation is different. If my wife and I could of taken a SMALL pay cut, it would have been worth it for us. However, a 40-45% combined pay cut is way too much. Even with the high cost of living here in NY, my everyday/housing expenses are not 40-50% of our combined salries.

Anyway, love it up there. I hope within 2-3 years we find our cabin. It really is a great place! I am 45-60 min to the Hamptons (believe me, where I live, its a small basic 3 br ranch here, in a middle class area. NOTHING LIKE THE HAMPTONS) I always tell my wife, Maine is like the hamptons (but nicer) WITHOUT the attitude.
you just love Maine but not enough to married to. you pay cut only 20-25 % combined pay NOT 40-50%.

Old 12-03-2012, 04:05 PM

Quote:

If you moved to Maine why would you want a vacation home in NY? Maine is Vacationland. I think you could have afforded to live in Maine with the pay cut and only one job each. You would have to adjust your spending and probably forget about the vacation home in NY--seems totally unnecessary to me, but I'm not you. I realize everyone's situation is different. Most people I know who work 2-3 jobs have jobs that pay about $10 an hour or at least one of them is part-time. I know one person who worked full-time as an RN and also waited tables in the summer to pay for other things she wanted or needed. something to think about... "Maine the Way Life Should Be"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine