Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 08:29 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,891,731 times

Advertisements

There are so many posts where people want to move to Maine but only want the "best" schools. What do you think of Maine's new grading system for schools? Do you think it is accurate or flawed? Please indicate when responding Yes, I have worked in the field of education or No, I have never worked in the field of education. This should give everyone something to argue about--oops, discuss for a while.

http://www.maine.gov/doe/schoolreportcards/

Maine Public Schools To Be Assigned Letter Grades | The Kennebec Journal, Augusta, ME

http://www.sunjournal.com/news/maine...system/1356775

31 percent of Maine high schools get D or F grades - News - Boston.com

Three-quarters of Maine schools at, below average under controversial new state grading system — Politics — Bangor Daily News — BDN Maine

School grades' simplicity broadens impact | The Kennebec Journal, Augusta, ME

Schools get letter grades, call system flawed | The Portland Press Herald / Maine Sunday Telegram

K-12 school grades a missed opportunity — Business — Bangor Daily News — BDN Maine

https://pollways.bangordailynews.com...d-explain-why/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2013, 02:49 PM

885 posts, read 1,494,340 times
I have NOT worked in the system.......but my late wife was a teacher. I think the grading system is flawed, but it's a good place to start a dialogue.

Old 05-11-2013, 04:56 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,157,354 times
I do work in education (K - 8) in Maine and I think this "grading system" is not only flawed, but misleading.

I have posted on this on another thread.

Old 05-11-2013, 05:56 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,717,042 times
Look, I see where those in education and people in general want to immediately call out this grading system as flawed.. But really the only flaw in the grading system is calling it a grade ON the "school"...ie a grade on the faculty.

I am not sure that the governor is saying that or not and I certainly do no think the average parent out there see's it this way. It would almost be like grading police departments based on the level of crime for a particular city.

I think if we step back from it and just look at it for what it is then why would it be flawed. We ALL know schools in Lewiston vs the Cape are going to score much lower for a whole host of legitimate reasons that are in large part no fault of the school itself but rather where its located.

A flawed system is one where I see a school where students are performing worse scoring higher then another school where students are performing better because of some biased grading system.

There is nothing wrong with calling an apple an apple. Once we step back and see it for what it is there might be some small improvement and if there is not... so what! personally I don't believe this will EVER be fixed but the scores offer a quick glance at a school and how it might compare to any other school.

Old 05-11-2013, 07:21 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
I disagree. We used to have "the Iowas" where students all across the nation took progress tests. You could compare your school or your child with the nation or the next district over. It was true accountability. Faculties did not want to be evaluated and they went through several new systems of evaluation. The most recent one is the most ridiculous yet. If fewer than 95% of the students in a school take the test the school is dropped one letter grade. If fewer than 90% of the students take the test the school gets an "F:. This is not about academic achievement. It is about compliance.

I say we should go back to the Iowas and find out where we really stand. We know we are #32 among the developed nations. If they are successful in imposing Common Core or the Soviet model we will soon be at #40.

Old 05-12-2013, 05:07 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,544,526 times
IMO this was done to further LePages campaign to increase the number of charter schools in the state as quickly as possible and his "thinly veiled" attempt to do away with the teachers union. There are many schools, such as Lee Academy, where the boarding students test scores were not used in the valuation of the school.

Old 05-12-2013, 05:39 AM

3,536 posts, read 2,855,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
IMO this was done to further LePages campaign to increase the number of charter schools in the state as quickly as possible and his "thinly veiled" attempt to do away with the teachers union. There are many schools, such as Lee Academy, where the boarding students test scores were not used in the valuation of the school.
What's wrong with Charter schools, last I checked a majority of Mainers voted for them. And the teachers union and it's democrat cronies have been trying the kill them outright.
Maybe the governor would not have to fight the teachers union if they stopped trying to thwart the will of the Maine people.

bill

Old 05-12-2013, 06:02 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,544,526 times
I am not in favor of the taxpayers of Maine money supporting religous schools as was proposed by this administration. I doubt it is even legal.

Old 05-12-2013, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
I am not in favor of the taxpayers of Maine money supporting religous schools as was proposed by this administration. I doubt it is even legal.
Charter schools are not religious based, just alternate forms of educating children.

bill

Old 05-12-2013, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
I disagree. We used to have "the Iowas" where students all across the nation took progress tests. You could compare your school or your child with the nation or the next district over. It was true accountability. Faculties did not want to be evaluated and they went through several new systems of evaluation. The most recent one is the most ridiculous yet. If fewer than 95% of the students in a school take the test the school is dropped one letter grade. If fewer than 90% of the students take the test the school gets an "F:. This is not about academic achievement. It is about compliance.

I say we should go back to the Iowas and find out where we really stand. We know we are #32 among the developed nations. If they are successful in imposing Common Core or the Soviet model we will soon be at #40.
I know there are standardized test given now called "necap" for the New England schools.
NECAP - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

bill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine