Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 10:32 AM

409 posts, read 1,747,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
I'm guessing because perhaps the original poster is Asian and does not want to feel like an exotic creature while walking around the streets, worthy of stares and ignorant questions and remarks.

I find it funny how many white people on this board justify looking for areas that are mostly white and will state just as such claiming they are just being direct and honest and tiring of political correctness run amok, and then turn around and get offended when others who happen to be of different races do the same.
Thank you for this post. I just thought it was worth repeating. You are exactly right. I, as an African American have absolutely no problem what so ever living in a town that is mostly white, but I do like to have an idea of how many of my own kind are around for the reason you stated above. I don't want to feel like an exotic creature while walking around the streets, worthy of stares and ignorant questions and remarks. Thanks for having enough insight to understnd that. And thanks for being considerate enough to post it.

Old 01-01-2007, 10:34 AM

409 posts, read 1,747,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenney77 View Post
Well you found the right place and many like-minded people! The only diversity we had in our town was adopted anyone else was driven out of town. There was actually an active KKK group in the late 80's early 90's in town that targeted french canadians b/c there were no people of color to bother. Personally I got tired of it and felt it was the biggest reason to move away. Where I live now has a good balance of all the races and its great to know so many diverse families. I think my family is better off b/c of it.

Good for you! I hope you're happy. I am glad to see that not all white people feel such nasty things about minorities.

Old 01-01-2007, 03:58 PM

1 posts, read 6,563 times
Default Great Place to Live

OK - As a flatlander who moved to Maine and being a first-generation Asian I can tell you that this is a great state to live in and raise your kids in. The people as a whole tolerate out-of-state-ahs, BUT, there is some bigotry, though, this is more ignorance and the fact many rural Mainers have had ZERO, yeah , ZERO, contact with people of many different races other than Europeans, Canadians, Blacks and American Indians. Many have never 'left the county'. It seems parts of Maine are 10-20 years behind in many attiitudes (especially with domestic abuse). People here like you if you're likeable to begin with, are truthful, respect them and the Maine lifestyle, regardless of race and regardless of Maine (same thing everywhere and anywhere). We believe in community, I joined the local FD and have a bunch of good friends we trust with eachothers lives, but, it was an education and work to get them into the 21st century that jokes about flied-lice, chopsticks and kung-fu would not be tolerated and something in NY was prevalent in 1970 but no longer in today's times. While they didn't mean ill at all, they didn't have a clue. Again, they had zero exposure and didn't know the difference between a joke and being insensitive and bigoted. I don't think many parts of Maine went through the political-correctness craze that over-swept most larger cities or corporate America (but, that's OK too).

You can disappear and keep to yourself in ME, but, that's not the norm and not the way of life. Here, it seems everyone knows just about everyone and most people wave to eachother when they pass eachother in their cars (exactly like it is boating in NY) sort of nice, sort of freaky.

Portland is the only area in ME I've found with 2 Asian markets (one was Thai/Viet and the other in downtown Portland was Chinese) that had most of the basic cooking groceries/tools you might need. Boston's Chinatown area (or south of it along I-95 by the Kennedy exit) is really the only other large (huge) Asian markets with anything you'd find in any Asian market in any big city. Chinatown is also the only place for Dim-Sum (THIS I MISS. but, Boston's Dim-Sum is as good as NY, SF or HK). Thai, Chinese, Vietnamese and Japanese restaurants can be found all over Maine and even Bangor boasts all of these plus an Indian and Pakastani restaurant. Families often run these, though, if you're looking for community, I know there are Asian Society groups all around ME and it's populated areas. I don't belong to any (since I'm really a redneck 'banana' at heart) but have been to some Chinese New Year celebrations and met large groups of Asian families and many American families who have adopted Chinese daughters and work actively in providing Chinese language and cultural lessons all the time if that's what you're looking for.

Maine is the way life should be. I can't imagine raising my kid on Long Island NY where the schools all have metal-detectors and while there statistically more ethnic diversity as a whole (statewide/island-wide) each school in reality is NOT diverse at all with most districts tied to monolithic communities of one race where ESL is the norm. ME schools are small, have budget and teacher qualification problems, etc., but, it's all relative.

Good luck!

ps - Forget the Asian markets and enjoy the abundance of Maine Lobster, Shrimp, Scallops, Blueberries, Strawberries, local corn, milk and fresh-eggs.

Old 03-22-2007, 09:48 AM

5 posts, read 68,321 times
Default an Asian in Maine

I am a post-college student who is living in Maine for a year while serving as a volunteer for underprivileged communities. I have lived in Boston for most of my life and am of Chinese descent. I have to say that I met some of the best people in the state of Maine who possess genuine respect and cordiality toward the non-natives. But at the same time there is also a sense of awkwardness while living in a town where you are the only non-white person in the street, restaurant or supermarket. The town I live in is a "college town" and suppose to be more open than other smaller communities, but I still get stares from random people on a regular basis, which I just take it as harmless curiosity most of the time. But sometimes it's difficult to distinguish ignorance from maliciousness. I don't know if I could live here permanently simply because the terrible feeling of not being accepted.

Old 03-22-2007, 01:18 PM

2,724 posts, read 6,422,284 times
Hi, I would hope and pray that the stares you receive aren't racial glares. It has been my experience that the "minorities" in any area are viewed by the "majority" with curiosity. Having said that I am sure we have individuals that are racist and can't be helped. People of different ethnicity are equal in my book unless they prove otherwise!

Old 03-22-2007, 01:31 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
deep, i hope a few bad apples, dont spoil the whole bushel, ...mainers, are extremely independent, we do our own thing, and respect what others do also, now, as one poster stated, most mainers havent had much exposure to different peoples, or cultures, so perhaps we do keep to ourselves a bit more, NOT because we are arrogant, NOT because, someone might be from away, but because we are unfamiliar, with,, cultural do's and dont's, as in a greeting
altho i say hi to everybody, and have had different folks just stare at me,,
another dynamic is this,,,,say, i'm in a store, and thier is an asian woman in the aisle,walking towards me,,,by nature id meet her eyes ,,,and say a friendly "hi" however, say,,,there were two, asians, talking to one another, im less likely to say hi,
and i've said hi before to asian, or russian or middle-eastern woman, before, and rarely get a reply,,,,a middle-eastern woman, wont even look me in the eye,,,,is she being unfriendly?? probly not, it may be thier customs and culture,,,,,but if im ignorant of it,,i could conclude, boy, there arent very friendly are they??

Old 03-22-2007, 01:56 PM

5 posts, read 68,321 times
I have met a substantial number of people in Maine who treats people of foreign descent with hospitality and respect, and only judge based on one's actions rather than using obsolete preconceptions. It is frustrating sometimes because a single instance of being discriminated against can often stand out in the mind of the targeted person as a jarring experience and outweighing any positive interactions that he/she has encountered beforehand. I still remember that a few months ago when I tried to join the local gym, the person in charge scrutinized over my personal records several times and declined to give me a free membership even though two of my co-workers previously received one with no questions asked at all. I would gladly have paid to be a member but he never brought up the option of a paying membership or acted in anyway in trying to keep me as a customer. Instead he hurriedly wrapped up the conversation and sent me out the door. The not-so-subtle message of "we don't want you here" is insulting, and makes me feel angry and disappointed - as a volunteer I had no reservation about devoting a year of my life to serve the needy communities in Maine, but there is not always a basic level of respect or tolerance being reciprocated back, which is all I ask.

Old 03-22-2007, 02:14 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
deep, and thats not too much to ask.
again its too bad, you ran into an idiot....
id be just the opposite,...if a place of business, is being patronised by a diverse clientelle, it should make the statement, everyone is welcome, and more business...
ive got a politically incorrect question for ya......
is it insensitive, to ask, where,,or what part an asian comes from?? im a naturally curious fellow, and if im conversing with someone, im curious about where they came from,,
i know, ive worked with some russian girls/woman, that were good workers, and found it very interesting ,,where they came from,,,,some from different parts of russia,,or surrounding country's. and it was very interesting asking them questions about thier culture..

Old 03-24-2007, 10:08 AM

46 posts, read 141,329 times
Default Bangor

I just moved to Bangor and have not noticed any ill feelings toward minorities. I work at the hospital and work with 2 people of Asian decent. That is just in our small unit. I think you will find people here very accepting of new comers no matter what their cultural differences.
Good Luck

Old 03-27-2007, 06:04 PM

12 posts, read 42,490 times
I too am monving to maine for the lack of diversity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine