Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 05:52 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,102,570 times

Advertisements

Bydand for Christmas I want.....

and I guess "central base" may be a better way to describe it---you certainly couldn't use Calais for that, you'd spend 2 hours just getting to the right road to take you to Western Maine or Southern Maine, even the Mid Coast area....in Augusta it's certainly much easier to head in any direction

Old 11-28-2007, 06:19 AM

528 posts, read 2,481,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
Augusta is the state capital;It is a world-class capital city where entrepreneurs start, grow, and maintain a variety of businesses. Citizens pursue life-long learning in first-rate schools, libraries, historic, and cultural facilities. Residents, workers, and tourists circulate around and enjoy the Heart of Augusta - on both sides of the Kennebec River, along Water Street, and throughout the Capitol complex. Travelers appreciate Augusta's historic and natural scenery. Home buyers and renters of all ages and incomes are drawn by safe and appealing neighborhoods, competitive tax rates, and superior services.

It is home to the University of Maine. Also consider the Bangor area to the northeast, and also Portland.

As a side note-consider eastern Connecticut- pretty, low crime, rural and between Hartford and Providence with a better economy, and a much milder climate.

Skytrekker, have you actually been to Augusta? Because that little write-up sounds like some chamber of commerce employee's fantasy. Augusta is hardly a "world-class" city....it is really a big town (pop. about 19,000), with an unfortunate lack of forethought in zoning it's many areas. Can't say I've seen tourists circulating on both sides of the river - the east side has little to offer other than the fort. The rest is commerical, a high school and a hospital. There has been an effort to re-develop Water Street, but it has a long way to go, with only a couple blocks having active businesses - the rest is run-down factories and empty store fronts. The "Capitol complex" is about two blocks of state offices, though there is a cute park across from the state house. IMO, while there are some nice homes in Augusta proper, the safest and most appealing neighborhoods will be the towns outside of Augusta....Hallowell, Gardiner, etc. And home to UMaine is Orono, not Augusta.

I have always heard the Augusta area is considered as "central Maine" - perhaps this came from not from a strict geographic standpoint, but rather more from a population standpoint? Dunno....

Old 11-28-2007, 07:39 AM

175 posts, read 420,373 times
Toria,

Even though I have only been there a few times, I would have to agree with your description of what I saw.
I do like the size of the place, not to small, not to big, but I did go on the outskirts to check those towns out, Hallowell, Manchester and maybe Gardiner.
I am sure there are things that I did not see and not being from there, have no idea what is where. But like I said, from my recollection, you hit the nail on the head. Thanks....

Old 11-28-2007, 08:24 AM

1,895 posts, read 5,902,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toria View Post
Skytrekker, have you actually been to Augusta? Because that little write-up sounds like some chamber of commerce employee's fantasy.
That's exactly what it is- straight off the City of Augusta website.

City of Augusta, Maine - Municipal Government Web Site

Old 11-28-2007, 08:29 AM

455 posts, read 1,228,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpurvis View Post
Thank you so much. I really appreciate the info. Like I said, I would consider a different area, coming from South Florida, I would go anywhere. LOL. It has changed so much down here and getting way to crowded. And the heat, I can't take it like I use to. So am looking for a better, simple way of life. The less stress, the better. Have been to Maine several times, and it seems so peaceful. And the views, can't beat em.. Whenever I went shopping and the cashiers all asked me if I was from Kentucky. Ha Ha. I guess I will have to work on my accent when I get there. Having a southern accent kinda stands out. YeeeeHawwwww..
Jpurvis, Keep reading the threads. I, too am moving from South Florida (Hell on earth) Been down here for 20 years and moving to Northern Maine in six months. I am from Maine, so not so hard for me. But, after twenty years I am sure alot has changed. Just keep watching and if you email the chamber of c. in different area they will mail you lots of info on the area. Caribou was wonderful about this. Good luck.

Old 11-28-2007, 09:26 AM

Thanks Abbymoulton,

The Chamber of Commerce is a good idea. I am sure you are ready to leave here, I can totally relate. Best of luck to ya. I hope to be out before six months but I am giving myself till no later than June, but hopefully sooner.

Old 11-28-2007, 09:31 AM

528 posts, read 2,481,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
That's exactly what it is- straight off the City of Augusta website.

City of Augusta, Maine - Municipal Government Web Site
aha ! well, can't blame them for trying to promote their city....but it really is quite a stretch to call it "world-class" . There are certainly some nice things about the area, and there always seem to be plans to help re-develop the riverfront, but it somehow never seems to happen. It has such potential...

Old 11-28-2007, 09:47 AM

455 posts, read 1,228,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpurvis View Post
Thanks Abbymoulton,

The Chamber of Commerce is a good idea. I am sure you are ready to leave here, I can totally relate. Best of luck to ya. I hope to be out before six months but I am giving myself till no later than June, but hopefully sooner.
June is our date to be gone from this hot miserable place too. I found a rent of a small house on Craig's list. So, with a place to go to I am really excited and can't wait to spending days in the GREAT state of Maine again.

Old 11-29-2007, 05:46 PM

1 posts, read 2,963 times
jpurvis Thought I might chime in and make a suggestion about your search for central Maine living. I live in the growing community of South China that would be east of I95 between Augusta and Waterville. It is situated such as to make any commute north/south by way of interstate or the coastal route 3 to Belfast the perfect little hub. It has and excellant school system a state of the art solid waste program. It is home to China Lake the areas drinking water supply and many lovely homes for sale in all price ranges. Most with pleasant surroundings and lots of privacy.

As far as what type of place Augusta is, well it just ain't what it use to be and although along the interstate big box stores make it appear as as thriving community might be misleading from a residential point. S China is approx 18 miles to the city and about the same to city of Waterville which is also turning into quite the highway side big box ville but home to some important places like Maine General Hospital more upto date than the Augusta campus. Waterville is also home to a greate number of Schools and Colleges.

It really is all a matter of opinion but if your looking for ambiance in a community the greater Waterville area would be a better choice South China is a lovely community to lay roots down and enjoy cooler summers and cleaner winters not to mention the beautiful fall colors.

Check out some realestate and see for yourself plug in China, Maine a local broker with area info attached would be Adam's Realty locally owned and highly respected throughout the area.

Good Luck with your relocation

Wyntah

Old 11-29-2007, 05:53 PM

Thanks for the info. I don't mean to sound dumb, but I have seen this on here before, what do you guys mean by "box stores"? Not use to that term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine