Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2007, 11:52 AM

73 posts, read 148,249 times

Advertisements

I venture the same question as did whofanme. But I do know of people who find real estate for sale without going through any real estate agent and work out all the deal and then get a lawyer. Maybe that is what is happening, whofanme. And buying on ebay for property sounds scary to me. I guess if you have someone you can trust who lives in Maine and can check out the place then good. What about getting inspections, etc. when going through ebay. I enjoy going to auctions and I wouldn't buy if I didn't see it first and also do a title search. JMHO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 01:17 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
When I bought in Maine, I had already walked each property line with GPS in hand. I had spoken with the regional LURC guy in Millinocket, he showed me his soil maps and floodplain maps. I also got the satellite photos and topo-map of the area.

Our Land transfer lawyer includes: the title search, title insurance and paperwork like re-writing and filing the deed all within his $200 flat fee.

I would not advise anyone to buy any land, without at least having these bases covered.

Old 12-18-2007, 02:40 PM

4,565 posts, read 10,658,413 times
I mostly agree with Forest on his points. On a level of trust, I trust em about as much as a used card dealer. But like I said, I dont blame them. Its how they make a living.

Old 12-18-2007, 03:03 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,082,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post

I trust em about as much as a used card dealer. But like I said, I dont blame them.
Is there much of a market for used cards?

Are we talking playing cards, or old stand-up comedians?

(Sorry, it was too tempting to pass up.)

Old 12-18-2007, 03:10 PM

4,565 posts, read 10,658,413 times
LOL. Darn typos.

"used cars"

Old 12-18-2007, 07:01 PM

474 posts, read 1,417,506 times
Well, after reading all of these comments - I think I would like for Forest to come with us to look and/or buy some land! Forest definitely has his ducks in a row, and his head on straight! Thanks.

Last edited by ILUVMAINE; 12-18-2007 at 07:08 PM.. Reason: plural

Old 12-18-2007, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVMAINE View Post
Well, after reading all of these comments - I think I would like for Forest to come with us to look and/or buy some land! Forest definitely has his ducks in a row, and his head on straight! Thanks.
Thank you.

Old 12-19-2007, 03:33 AM

837 posts, read 1,711,229 times
This may be helpful for those looking for a new home:

http://www.amazon.com/How-Build-Iglo...8060035&sr=1-1

Cheers!

Old 12-19-2007, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treeluvr View Post
This may be helpful for those looking for a new home:

http://www.amazon.com/How-Build-Iglo...8060035&sr=1-1

Cheers!
Cute.

Up until yesterday we only had deep powder, now we have a hard crust finally. Igloo blocks require enough hardness to hold together when you lift them.

I do not see how practical they would be here, since most of the year is spent well above freezing.

Old 12-23-2007, 06:43 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,520,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
Elston, you bring a good point to the table. I know one realtor who sold us our house in Eastport, and I love her to bits. BUT, I trust her. I've know her my entire life, and because of that I never had a doubt that she'd find a good fit for us and what we were looking for. That being said though, there are definitely realtors in my area to avoid like the plague--they simply are incapable of telling the truth. Two of them I have had personal conversations with regarding certain properties, and later discovered what was said to me was a flat out lie--and they were simple, silly lies, but if they're lying about the little stuff, you have to wonder. There are others here that although I haven't had personal experiences with, the "word on the street" is to avoid them. If you are working with a realtor, my advice is to spend time talking with him/her, listen well....get to know the person, and follow your instincts. It's really important that you take the time and build the trust....and I think the good realtors know that and promote that. Just like in any part of life, you can tell which people really care

Molly when our time to move to Maine comes... you will have to DM me with the names of the realators you distrust. I don't like even "little white lies." I think you are 100% on the mark that it makes you wonder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine