Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 11:29 AM

259 posts, read 703,808 times

Advertisements

Has anyone moved from Utah to Maine? Or even from Denver or something similar weather-wise? I am researching and finding that a place that is affordable, with some land, near an ocean, liberal and it outdoor friendly = Maine I've done just a tiny bit of research so far, and have a book on the way in the mail on Maine.
I would basically love to live in a place with more liberal views (salt lake where I live now is one of the most conservative cities in the nation, so I'm sure any city in Maine would will fit the bill). And I have always imagined living by the ocean but also I love to hike. But I am worried about a few things:

Cost of living
Winters
Sunshine

I'd love to find a place for around 270,000 or less with 1-4 acres, but I am worried that that criteria means I will be living far inland. Is this true?
Also, how do the seasons compare inland with seasons in the coastal cities such as Portland? Harsher winters inland I suppose?
How about the sunshine variable? Do you have entire weeks without sun? Here in Salt lake the sun comes out atleast once a week, and it sets at about 5:20 at the shortest day in December I believe. I worry about this because I really don't like short dark days, especially if its overcast as well. But I can take it as long as there are breaks.

Are the beaches there all sandy? Or just on certain parts of the coast?

Oh...and what are the 'ya ya's' I keep seeing mentioned. This is a mystery to me!

I also am wondering how out-going people are in general in Maine- I've traveled around a bit and found some cities to be much more open and friendly than others. Is Maine one of those places people will openly talk with strangers or does this just vary area by area?

Sorry thats a load of questions, thank you so much for any advice, suggestions, tips or whatever you have!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2008, 12:02 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,678,521 times
"I would basically love to live in a place with more liberal views (salt lake where I live now is one of the most conservative cities in the nation, so I'm sure any city in Maine would will fit the bill."

Well, not any city. You would love Portland or anywhere in Lincoln County on the coast. I live above the "Volvo line". There are no Volvos or Volvo dealers up here. If you see one it's a tourist with environmental industry stickers on the bumper. The coast below Belfast is very liberal. Most college towns are liberal. Maine is after all a blue state, but geographically 90% of our population lives within 50 miles of the coast. You'll be happy there. Go in 100 miles from the coast and you would be ineffective at advancing your views.

Old 01-18-2008, 12:33 PM

^ I am curious what you mean by this. How conservative does it get/ what areas are the most conservative? I am looking more for open-minded people than necessarily liberal, just not excessively rigid or closed thinking...I guess those who like to stay educated on environment, health, you know the 'youtube' user type people haha etc. I have grown up in a town that is very one-sided and do not want that for any future kids I may have. I'd ask which towns/cities to avoid but I don't want to cause any drama or discord here. Is there a pm function? I'd like to stay in Southern Maine if possible, since it'd be a tad warmer, what about inland south maine is that somewhat open-minded?

Old 01-18-2008, 12:44 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,561,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emu742 View Post
^ I am curious what you mean by this. How conservative does it get/ what areas are the most conservative? I am looking more for open-minded people than necessarily liberal, just not excessively rigid or closed thinking...I guess those who like to stay educated on environment, health, you know the 'youtube' user type people haha etc. I have grown up in a town that is very one-sided and do not want that for any future kids I may have. I'd ask which towns/cities to avoid but I don't want to cause any drama or discord here. Is there a pm function? I'd like to stay in Southern Maine if possible, since it'd be a tad warmer, what about inland south maine is that somewhat open-minded?
Look at York County if you are considering southern Maine. The location is ideal because it is a large county with towns along the coast as well as towns in the interior areas. I-95 running through the county means a more convenient transportation route to other cities including the Portland metro. The weather is milder in that area compared with most areas of Maine, but the interior areas away from the Atlantic can have temperatures well below zero occasionally.

Old 01-18-2008, 02:17 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,678,521 times
Just click on the person's name and there is a drop down menu click in there to send a PM. On here it's called a DM or direct message.

Old 01-18-2008, 02:26 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,020,192 times
Coastal regions of Maine and New England have a milder climate then areas inland-especially in Maine. Southern New England, which includes Connecticut, Rhode Island and eastern/south eastern Massachusetts are mild for the latitude.

The mildest areas of New England are south eastern coastal Connecticut, most of Rhode Island, Cape Ann Mass (northeast of Boston), the 'south shore' of Boston to Plymouth, onto Cape Cod and the Islands. In these areas Giant sequoia easily grow, magnolia, yucca and other temperate to almost sub tropical plants.

Eastern Connecticut may also fill your requirements; very liberal, near the ocean and home prices that are within your budget. With a mild climate as described above.

Old 01-18-2008, 03:34 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,085,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emu742 View Post
But I am worried about a few things:

Cost of living
Winters
Sunshine
Given where you are coming from, I would add one thing to that list: humidity.

The difference in the average humidity between Utah and the east cost is substantial. Maine isn't hot very often but the air (particularly near the coast) will be far more humid than you are used to.

This could be a plus or a minus depending on your personal comfort level, but you should think about it.

Old 01-18-2008, 03:42 PM

2,724 posts, read 6,423,858 times
After attending the U of U, I stayed in Utah for 18 years. Said I was staying for work, but the truth be known, it was for the skiing!
Yep, Utah is one conservative state, but you'd be hard pressed to find any town in Maine as conservative.
We have sun and snow. At this time the western mountains have received
66" of the white stuff.
$270,000? You can buy a new house on a decent sized lot inland.
Heck, I can be out in a couple of days for that price!
4:30 in the afternoon is about our shortest day, but after the Winter Solstice, we gain a minute a day.
Friendly? You betcha!
Good luck in your decision.

Old 01-18-2008, 03:53 PM

^Hey fellow alumni! It is good skiing here, thats for sure!
haha...I better get to looking at some real estate sites online and get some ideas of pricing. I have a feeling the coast isn't going to have land for the $, whereas the inland sounds bitterly cold though. Whew 4:30 huh...

According to citi-data here it says about 50% of the days are sunny. What is the general opinion of sunny days in summer and in the winter? (This probably seems an odd question but I grew up in Tucson, and have never quite gotten used to dreary winters even though I love the snow, I can hack it though if its not too dismal, cuz the summer there is worth waiting for or so I've heard!).

Thanks so much for all the posts so far, Maine is seeming friendlier by the moment!

Old 01-18-2008, 04:08 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,020,192 times
emu

There is a slight summer maximum of sunny days in Maine and New England, but the difference between summer and winter sunny days will not be noticeable. Of course from autumn on the length of daylight diminishes till the December solstice. The days begin to grow longer in January till a summer maximum of daylight during the time of the June solstice. We do not have the kind of cloudy rainy winters of northern California to Vancouver BC- that last from mid autumn to mid spring- and then have sun from mid spring till autumn as on the west coast.

Actually what is weird - October on average is the clearest month, and November the cloudiest throughout New England! There can be dismal overcast days in late autumn till spring that can be rather depressing- but they seldom last for more then a few days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine