Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2008, 07:49 AM

653 posts, read 1,918,895 times

Advertisements

thanks forest.
thanks mw.

Old 05-29-2008, 07:54 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,654,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post

YouTube - Poults Hatching

It's a number 1. The eggs due to hatch today were put in the incubator on May 1. There are 3's in there that will start hatching Saturday. After that it's up to five ducks. There are two turkeys with two dozen eggs in a new nest. They insist on co-nesting and the eggs get broken as they jostle around for the best place to sit or the most eggs. I broke up one nest when five hens insisted on setting together. If these two don't figure this out in a day or two I'll break them up by bringing most of the eggs into the incubator and locking one hen up with the rest.

My goal for the turkeys this year is to make them pay for themselves. I can't afford to feed them organically this year, it's just too expensive. I'll sell enough poults and Thanksgiving turkeys to break even this year, overwinter only three or four birds rather than 10, and see what the $$ looks like in April, 09.
put my name on one of those birds for thanksgiving... do you sell them on the hoof (I hope... though I will likely want to butcher and pluck it there, pack in ice and bring it home, if that would work for you.)

Old 05-29-2008, 10:01 AM

1,698 posts, read 3,338,390 times
Angry Nothing worse then a whinny peach says Mr. Peach

Okay.. I know this is an Off Topic so I can ramble a bit here.
* oh and thanks for letting me~

So this morning I have been yard working.... coming in to read what people have been writing.
So0oo now... I have to ...
GRrr go to TOWN and get things.

I need black plastic for the path for my stones cause I ran out.. so because I'm going to town I have to do things because of gas costs...
so my day is blown.

You will see me at the grocery store growling being very unpeachie
( looks over at Maine Writer since she knows how much I really love shopping ) and bring it all home and put it alllllllllllllllllllllll away.

Okay..(takes a deep breath)
I'm done whining. I thank you.
I'll miss ya...
Don't write anything good without me.
Tami~peachie

Last edited by peachie_in_maine; 05-29-2008 at 10:03 AM.. Reason: for got to slam the door behind me.......stupid shopping

Old 05-29-2008, 10:42 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,542,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peachie_in_maine View Post
You will see me at the grocery store growling being very unpeachie
( looks over at Maine Writer since she knows how much I really love shopping ) and bring it all home and put it alllllllllllllllllllllll away.

Okay..(takes a deep breath)
I'm done whining. I thank you.
I'll miss ya...
Don't write anything good without me.
Tami~peachie
I've seen her shop folks. She can growl and shop at warp speed.
Here, hold a cute baby. It'll make you feel better.

NO! NO! Don't squeeze! Ok, how about you hold the cute baby later, k?

Old 05-29-2008, 10:51 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,542,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
put my name on one of those birds for thanksgiving... do you sell them on the hoof (I hope... though I will likely want to butcher and pluck it there, pack in ice and bring it home, if that would work for you.)
Let's talk turkey! If you come help me butcher six birds including yours I will gladly give you yours. And how about chickens? If you help me butcher I'll raise some for you. And while I'm kind of groveling here, I could stand to be taught the right way to slaughter. I'll wimp out on it every chance I get because I'm afraid of not doing it right and making the bird suffer. I'd rather have a 20 pound roaster scootching across the lawn than kill it myself.

Five poults now! And I really need to get back to work and stop watching baby turkeys. They're just so darned cute!

Old 05-29-2008, 11:04 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,669,478 times
Quote:
Let's talk turkey! If you come help me butcher six birds including yours I will gladly give you yours. And how about chickens? If you help me butcher I'll raise some for you. And while I'm kind of groveling here, I could stand to be taught the right way to slaughter. I'll wimp out on it every chance I get because I'm afraid of not doing it right and making the bird suffer. I'd rather have a 20 pound roaster scootching across the lawn than kill it myself.

Five poults now! And I really need to get back to work and stop watching baby turkeys. They're just so darned cute!
Buy youreself a killing cone if you're going to do much home processing. Brain the bird with an ice pick (loosens the feathers) then make a slit in the neck for it to bleed out.
The cone keeps them from flopping all around and helps contain the mess.
Then it's a dip in some 140 degree water and its plucking time. After eviscerating the bird plunge it into ice water to cool before bagging. They make some home plucking machines now that work real well. If you have neighbors that raise foul you can go in on one together and do your processing together.
If you have a lot of birds to do and don't have the stomach or time to do it yourself there are a number of processing places around that will kill them and bag them for a couple of dollars each. We used to have our turkeys done for us at West Gardiner Beef. Back up to the door with the cage and they come out the other side in a bag! It's well worth it!

Old 05-29-2008, 11:16 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
MW - I PM'ed you my method of doing it, which I find humane.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:25 AM

2,059 posts, read 4,203,168 times
Quote:

this is going to be dramatic so if your squeamish stop reading.
ok this is what you need a block of wood and an axe or hatchet ,big knife .
grab the bird by the legs get a firm grip now lay its head on the block of wood with one quick motion chop its head off then let it go no suffering.
it will flop around a bit but thats normal ( verry important do not close your eyes if you value your fingers you may miss) after its done floping around hang it by its leg's to bleed out.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:35 AM

Quote:

Sounds good to me, and while I am not sure I know the "right way" to butcher fowl, I am pretty darn sure none of my suffered.

We can talk offline...

Old 05-29-2008, 12:27 PM

Quote:

well I never did wimp out on this part of farming. Didn't have much choice; when we were homesteading, I was married to a city slicker. He finally learned to do such things but was never any good at it. And I never batted an eyelash.

I'll be glad to come up and help butcher both chickens and turkeys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine