Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 07:11 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
I just ordered a Sarah Graves book and a set of towels with my overstock gift! I got "Wicked Fix".
Great minds. I also ordered a couple of books, along with a new SD card for the ol' digital camera. The card came yesterday already.

Going to put it to good use today, Pinewood Derby for the Cub Scouts today in Washburn and I have 2 that are going to be racing. DW has to work, so I have STRICT orders to take as many photos as I can for her.

Old 01-19-2008, 07:18 AM

For those of you who are looking forward to cooler temps. it looks like you are going to get your wish. While not Earth shattering, I am not looking forward to working outside Monday. What I l find funny is that it is described as "cold" for Sunday night. I have seen weather described as "bitter cold", just wondering where they draw the line for that distinction.
Attached Thumbnails
Maine's Own Off-Topic Thread -- Pt.2-weather-today-1.19.jpg  

Old 01-19-2008, 07:26 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
For those of you who are looking forward to cooler temps. it looks like you are going to get your wish. While not Earth shattering, I am not looking forward to working outside Monday. What I l find funny is that it is described as "cold" for Sunday night. I have seen weather described as "bitter cold", just wondering where they draw the line for that distinction.
bydand, id suppose the line of distinction runs paralell with the volvo line, anywhere south is bitterly cold, north is just ...cold

Old 01-19-2008, 07:31 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Great minds. I also ordered a couple of books, along with a new SD card for the ol' digital camera. The card came yesterday already.

Going to put it to good use today, Pinewood Derby for the Cub Scouts today in Washburn and I have 2 that are going to be racing. DW has to work, so I have STRICT orders to take as many photos as I can for her.
good luck with the derby...brings back memories....
before my last derby, my older brother glued the back wheels,,to the wooden chasis as a joke, and i never noticed it, til i got out there, and the car wouldnt go!!!

(my first lesson, when older brother and his friends are cracking up,,to be very very suspicious!!)

Old 01-19-2008, 07:36 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,101,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
good luck with the derby...brings back memories....
before my last derby, my older brother glued the back wheels,,to the wooden chasis as a joke, and i never noticed it, til i got out there, and the car wouldnt go!!!

(my first lesson, when older brother and his friends are cracking up,,to be very very suspicious!!)
LOL....now that's funny!! I'd be so mad if Michael did that to Jake, but boy....ok, I'll stop laughing now!

Old 01-19-2008, 07:44 AM

Questions about how the weather differs across the state should be answered pretty good right here. Go up a few posts and I have the weather forecast for this area the next few days. Here is the Portland forecast for the same days, also from the NOAA site. You might say there can be a big difference from the Southeast corner, to the Northeast corner.
Attached Thumbnails
Maine's Own Off-Topic Thread -- Pt.2-portland-weather.jpg  

Old 01-19-2008, 07:46 AM

update: I finished Trap Door....for the first time she all ready set up for the next (and newest) book....did you notice that too Moughie? The newest one is The Book of Old Houses and I'll start that this afternoon. I'm helping out at a 13 yo's b-day party today--sympathy for the Mom who is a great friend of mine makes me go!! don't know *what* she was thinking there....

Anyway, Moughie: Catherine Coulter, spelled it wrong earlier sorry!, writes a series of mysteries, I think there's 7?.....they're tied together as "FBI thrillers" they're not really heavy reading, but definitely pull you in and hook you. They are well written, and I stumbled on one completely by accident and had to go back and read the previous ones and catch up to her latest as well She also writes in other genres, and even had a "pen name", but I've only read the FBI series. She's the reason I missed Trap Door!! --book signing at the Mustard Mill in Eastport and everything

Old 01-19-2008, 08:23 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
I think that the difference between 'cool', 'cold' and 'bitter' is entirely a matter of perception.

Perception is largely within your attitude.

20F could be perceived as bitterly cold to anyone who has not acclimatized to cooler weather.

A couple years ago, I took my family out to California for a funeral. In Ct before going we had a week where it had been dipping to -8F at night, we got to the Fresno airport and the car rental lady was wearing a sweater and coat and complaining to us about how terribly cold it was. In Fresno it was in the 60Fs, to us it felt rather warm. We spent the entire week mostly running around in shorts and T-shirts [except for the viewing and the service]. We were acclimatized to 20F to -8F temps, so we perceived 60F to 65F as being warm.

Another thing that I have seen, is that if I go out not dressed for cooler weather, I may get chilled. Once my body is chilled, it may take a long time to get warm again. Standing at the Farmer's Market, not doing anything but standing there, if you get a chill, then your are going to be shivering and miserable all day long. The difference might only be that you are not wearing a scarf. The one addition item of clothing, might have kept you from getting a chill, and standing there for four hours you might have been very comfortable. The same day, with the same temps, one vendor has a positive attitude and perceives it as 'cool', while another vendor is cold and miserable.

Right before winter settled in this year, both of our cars' heaters decided to stop working. Driving in Maine without a car heater can be done, but you need to dress warm. If you do dress warm, then you do not perceive it to be such a terrible issue. Except for the windows fogging, we have learned that in cooler weather windows don't just fog up, that condensation is a layer of ice.

Warm clothing works well to keep a person feeling toasty, and thus helps to maintain a positive perception. We like our wool shirts and pants, but then we have lived in cooler climates before.

Also if you do get chilled, a dip into a jacuzzi will melt that chill in a hurry. Once you are lobster red and redressed in dry heated clothing. The general perception of the cool weather is not so bad at all.

I perceive that 'cool', 'cold' and 'bitter' are entirely in how you allow your attitude to control your perception of reality.

Old 01-19-2008, 08:28 AM

I agree FB

Largely true in all of life isn't it--the role "perception" plays?

Old 01-19-2008, 08:53 AM

I also agree, but have seen the terms used on the NOAA website before and was wondering if they had an actual set temp. for different areas when they roll out what is what for temps. What is "bitter" cold to somebody even downstate, wouldn't usually make the top 10 for the average person up in this section of the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine