Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2008, 03:19 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,859,793 times

Advertisements

Pine Martins are great little things (as long as you are not a food item to them). Their fur is just silky, and even right out of the woods it is just unbelievable how soft it is. I have seen a few out and about here in the woods and they are something to watch. Another animal that has fur that will take you by surprise, is the soft underhairs on a bear. A bear cub will snuggle in tight if you pick it up, just watch out putting it back down. They hang on like no tomorrow and get excited enough to pee. (Don't ask, it's better that way )

Old 03-01-2008, 04:17 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,544,749 times
Oh I'm asking! HOW did you get your hands on a cub? I'd go to great lengths to get to go with biologists. I don't care if it pees on me, I want to check out a cub up close and personal.

Old 03-01-2008, 04:19 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,877,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Pine Martins are great little things (as long as you are not a food item to them). Their fur is just silky, and even right out of the woods it is just unbelievable how soft it is. I have seen a few out and about here in the woods and they are something to watch. Another animal that has fur that will take you by surprise, is the soft underhairs on a bear. A bear cub will snuggle in tight if you pick it up, just watch out putting it back down. They hang on like no tomorrow and get excited enough to pee. (Don't ask, it's better that way )

I think we definitely need to know how that happened!! Where was mama bear?

I'm completely nature knowledge impaired (like you hadn't figured that out! lolol) and even I know that you don't mess with bear cubs in the wild. I'm guessing you had to have been in a controlled environment?

Old 03-01-2008, 05:45 PM

controlled environment more or less. A mother bear was hit and killed on the road and I happened to be at the house of a guy they call to raise and release wild animals. There was a set of cubs there and he asked me if I was interested in going out and helping him pick up the cubs. Who was I to turn down that chance. So yes I picked up a couple of wild bear cubs one spring and both managed to pee on me. I was smiling the whole time though.

Old 03-01-2008, 08:24 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,749,873 times
Quote:
controlled environment more or less. A mother bear was hit and killed on the road and I happened to be at the house of a guy they call to raise and release wild animals. There was a set of cubs there and he asked me if I was interested in going out and helping him pick up the cubs. Who was I to turn down that chance. So yes I picked up a couple of wild bear cubs one spring and both managed to pee on me. I was smiling the whole time though.

Okay, let's be really clear for those who may have limited knowledge of cute cuddly critters like bears.

Do NOT under any circumstances seek to approach a bear cub in any type of wilderness situation.

Mama bears have been known to get rather peeved at strangers messin' with their babies, and peeved a Mama bear stands a very good chance of ruining your day.

If you happen to run across a bear cub, turn around and walk back the way you came until you are well clear of the area.

Old 03-02-2008, 03:29 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
Quote:

a chance of a lifetime!! id have been there also..

last summer i was headin south between presque-isle and mars hill, and saw a small bear cub on the side of the road,,looking like he wanted to cross the road,,but the cars made him nervous, i slowed down,,backed up,,,(i travel alot and very rarely do i see a bear, let alone a cub) so i wanted to get a good look at him, maybe take a picture,,,and put on my flashers to alert other cars,,in case he did dart across the road,,
when i backed up,,,he ran back in the field about 10 yards and stood still,,,,again, was thinking about getting out with my camera to snap a shot,,,but then ...caution got the best of me,,,was thinking mother bear probly wasnt far, and there's a major road nearby...so i didnt want any of my actions,,,contributing to making a bear even more nervous or darting out in traffic,,so i just slowly took off,,

i was remembering a few yrs back,,when almost in greenville,,there was a few cars next to the road,,,tourists taking pictures of a moose and her two fawns... mother moose got a bit peturbed,,and charged at one of the tourists,,that got too close,,, the little ones were nervouse and just ran out in the road,,not knowing what to do,,but staying close to mother moose,,
that road is heavily travelled by logging trucks,,,,so the little ones could have easily been wiped out, ,,,(didnt happen, but i could see where human interference could have contributed,,to the deaths of the little ones)

seeing a deer, moose or a bear is a treat,,,but like cornerguy stated, keep your distance,,
and id suggest to anyone going into maine woods to hike, camp, canoe, please keep a lid on all foods and dispose of properly, bears have a nose better than a blood-hound and can smell food from miles around...

Old 03-02-2008, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
Okay, let's be really clear for those who may have limited knowledge of cute cuddly critters like bears.

Do NOT under any circumstances seek to approach a bear cub in any type of wilderness situation.

Mama bears have been known to get rather peeved at strangers messin' with their babies, and peeved a Mama bear stands a very good chance of ruining your day.

If you happen to run across a bear cub, turn around and walk back the way you came until you are well clear of the area.

Without a doubt!!!!!!

Yes the circumstance I was in, I don't ever expect to have happen again as long as I live. I have seen Mama and cubs in the wild before and let me say; while being a great thing to see, it is also VERY nerve racking. Almost to the point of being cautious even breathing for fear (yes, I said fear) of having the Mama take it as an act of aggression toward the cub/s. I have had bears false rush me a couple of times and it is enough to give you a heart attack at how fast and graceful something so big can move. I cannot imagine how it would be knowing she wasn't going to stop a couple of feet away.

Momma ANYTHING with her babies out in the woods are to be looked at from a distance and not approached. EVER!

Old 03-02-2008, 06:09 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,520,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjlcu View Post
HI EVERYBODY!!!!!!!!

I am SO GLAD to be functioning again!!!! I won't bore you all with the numerous challenges I have had since the start of the year....broken bones, nosy neighbors, the sneezy, sniffly sinus infection and the WRONG antibotics and, and, and...oops, said I wouldn't bore you all with the details! But, I'm here!! I'm back in the land of the internet in general and the City-Data forum in particular!! WOO HOO! I have TWO functioning hands!!!!! It will take me DAYS to catch up on all the posts and see where everybody is and what they are doing, just scanning this thread tells me we have lots of action going on! Thanks to all the well wishers and I'll be around reading and checking in!!!

Stacie
Welcome back.. sorry I've not been on much currently assistant directing and stage managing a local theater production of Glass Menagerie. I'm currently cheating as I'm only on the computer to get the list typed up for my crew back stage.

Last edited by dramamama6685; 03-02-2008 at 07:42 AM..

Old 03-02-2008, 07:08 AM

612 posts, read 1,216,510 times
Default A Remarkable Phone Call.

Just had to share this with everyone... wish we could always have this kind of insight. A remarkable phone call from a 12-yr old boy to Houston Radio station KSBJ FM 89.3 So profound, the station has it posted on their website. Click below to listen to it. It's short.

» Blog Archive » The Sky Angel Cowboy…

Last edited by Eastport4me; 03-02-2008 at 07:26 AM.. Reason: add comment and add better link

Old 03-02-2008, 07:32 AM

4,537 posts, read 9,190,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
I get at least one green egg each day...
So... you have ham?

Sam-I-am

Dr. Seuss

Last edited by quiet walker; 03-02-2008 at 08:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine