Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 01:42 PM

23 posts, read 57,222 times

Advertisements

ha, i dunno about that. I was born and raised in central maine, and I don't live there anymore. When I go back I feel like a tourist in my own home town to people I don't know. Smiling doesn't always help. Sometimes they just think you're up to no good then, haha. :-) It's only been like 5 years and it feels like everything has changed. I'm sure it is just me that has changed, but it's sad either way.

- aba
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 01:54 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,671,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abatardi View Post
ha, i dunno about that. I was born and raised in central maine, and I don't live there anymore. When I go back I feel like a tourist in my own home town to people I don't know. Smiling doesn't always help. Sometimes they just think you're up to no good then, haha. :-) It's only been like 5 years and it feels like everything has changed. I'm sure it is just me that has changed, but it's sad either way.

- aba
A sure way to get someone to smile at you is to hand them a twenty dollar bill. A one may make them frown, a five or a ten may get you a puzzled look but a twenty usually breaks the ice pretty well. For more reaction a fifty will usually get a wave of the bill in the air and a hearty thank you,a hundred will get the same thing with a hoot or a holler and perhaps a heel spin, and a five hundred dollar bill will usually get them to drop to one knee in tearful thanks! Just thought you'd like to know.

Old 04-03-2008, 02:19 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,384,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
A sure way to get someone to smile at you is to hand them a twenty dollar bill. A one may make them frown, a five or a ten may get you a puzzled look but a twenty usually breaks the ice pretty well. For more reaction a fifty will usually get a wave of the bill in the air and a hearty thank you,a hundred will get the same thing with a hoot or a holler and perhaps a heel spin, and a five hundred dollar bill will usually get them to drop to one knee in tearful thanks! Just thought you'd like to know.
LOL That was good!! Uh, Um,.. next time you're handing out cash.............

Old 04-03-2008, 06:54 PM

2 posts, read 4,351 times
doozer, welcome to maine! Around here not very many activities jump out to meet the eye but when you get to know the area you'll notice a lot more things will be popping out at you that you never really noticed before

Old 04-04-2008, 05:42 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abatardi View Post

- aba
even your old friends, treat you like you're something new........

i can relate to this post,,,life is fluid, not only do we change, but everybody we use to know,,life seems to change....

Old 04-04-2008, 10:00 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,671,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
even your old friends, treat you like you're something new........
Credit The Eagles here!

Old 04-04-2008, 04:00 PM

26 posts, read 60,570 times
People in Maine may seem to be old farts as you call them, but once they or I should say you; get to know the real them, you will find that they are not what you think. Never judge a book by it's cover. I have not lived in Maine for over 20 years, I still go back, and I meet new people who I find are nice and like to party or have fun.
So keep the chin up, you may never know what might be lurking around the corner.

Old 04-04-2008, 06:14 PM

56 posts, read 190,167 times
Default I concur with what the Mainers said here!

To the O.P. of this post...
I'm sorry but...HAHAHAHA! I don't know where you are coming from, or what you expect from others, but it is a fact that New Englanders are famed for being private, reserved, somewhat austere people. Lots of good reasons for that, some of them being:

1) you are an out-of-towner. Not much you can really do about that, but it is sort of your job to adapt to their ways if you want to make friends. Not just in New England either! As a Cheesehead neophyte I learned the customs of WI- i.e. playing up my German heritage, figuring out how to relish bratwurst, kraut and cod, and never saying a WORD against the Packers.
2) some of these people have family in the area going back to the Revolutionary War or even before..and may have lived in the same house or the same street for generations. No one else in America can really compete with that.. it does tend to make them a bit more insular than most.
3) you seem to have kind of a dismissive attitude...which is not the way to behave. Think of the little things you can do for your neighbors..small acts of kindness go a looong way.
4) Your idea of what is "cool" and "hip" may be MILES apart from what consists of a typical Mainer's idea of the same thing.. but don't worry about it, geekiness is good.

Bottom line, I think your judgements of Mainers and your expectations of Mainers are more than a little unrealistic. Just try to adjust as best you can. Maybe start a book club..I don't know. And if you become a bit of a dork in the process...well..WELCOME TO MAINE! lol.

Old 04-04-2008, 06:44 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingmark View Post
2) some of these people have family in the area going back to the Revolutionary War or even before..and may have lived in the same house or the same street for generations. No one else in America can really compete with that.. it does tend to make them a bit more insular than most. ...
Try visiting the Carolina outer banks. They have been there a lot longer.

Old 04-04-2008, 07:01 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,490,127 times
Nawww...I think the swamp yankees here in Rhode Island are much worse than that. At least Maine is a BIG state! Lots of varied areas and types of people. In RI, it's a very tiny place by comparison. Lots of colleges and universities here, and even the college kids can't get over it. This place is baaaaddd! I won't be sorry to leave!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine