Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 12:28 PM

307 posts, read 1,588,842 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
We are finally headed up for a trip to Eastport with my 81 yr old dad and four boys ages 6-13 tomorrow. Dad's family is from there (all deceased) and we figure it will be a good chance for him to show the boys where his family lived. Any favorite things to do or places to eat while we are up there? We are stopping at Moody's and Perry's Nut House as dad did as a kid.
Thanks! Moxie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 01:16 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,422,203 times
Can't help, but dying to see everyone's answers. Hubby and I are dying to have a summer home in Eastport some day. Want to see where everyone hangs out when they're there so we know where to go when we visit!

Old 06-27-2010, 01:56 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,237,647 times
Bank Square Pizza is very good! Another good place close to Eastport is The New Friendly in Perry.

Old 06-27-2010, 02:14 PM

Oh, and I should have added that I've got 6 boys and men to feed affordably!!!!

Old 06-27-2010, 02:52 PM

3,036 posts, read 5,884,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie View Post
Oh, and I should have added that I've got 6 boys and men to feed affordably!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
Bank Square Pizza is very good! Another good place close to Eastport is The New Friendly in Perry.
Moxie, it's as if not more affordable as anywhere else. Rosies Hot Dogs, and Wa-Co (it's changed a lot), or Happy Crab. Try to work it so you can eat at Helens in Machias. Great pie.

Also, go to Shackford Head State Park. Tell your Dad it out by the old baalfield/dump. He should notice a huge change. The powder house behing the new High School is in better shape now and a decent thing to see. Downtown has changed a lot. No more clothing stores or Rexall or Western Auto. Now just a bunch of art galleries and antique shops. Wadsworths has moved but still the same old place, albeit smaller. And Izzy Feltensteins taxi/Bus Station is gone.

How long was he in town and how long since he's been gone? Would love to talk to him if he has any history.

Hope you have a great time.

Old 06-27-2010, 03:20 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
if you are going from belfast to ellsworth, stop in bucksport at ft knox and go up for a view in the new bridge observatory (penobscot narrows observatory)

Fort Knox & the Penobscot Narrows Observatory : Prospect, Maine - Travel and tour Maine Military History

Old 06-27-2010, 03:43 PM

Great, thanks, yeah I just wanted to make sure folks knew I wasn't looking for upscale joints!
Great Grand mother's family was from Eastport, my great grand dad born (Jones) in Cutler, orphaned and worked in the sardine factories at age 9 and up. Everyone was born in Eastport but then my GGD moved part of the family to Framingham, MA where my dad was born. They'd drive up to Eastport on rt 1 from the 1930s-1950s then moved back up there and lived in Capt Grady's house. They all swear to have seen Capt Grady's ghost.
Then back down again to MA in the 1960s. They all still went up to visit Eastport until the other's died off. Camicks Drugstore was in the family. Lewis Stoddards candy store, Andrews, Penrose, Irving, are the other family names that I can remember.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
Moxie, it's as if not more affordable as anywhere else. Rosies Hot Dogs, and Wa-Co (it's changed a lot), or Happy Crab. Try to work it so you can eat at Helens in Machias. Great pie.

Also, go to Shackford Head State Park. Tell your Dad it out by the old baalfield/dump. He should notice a huge change. The powder house behing the new High School is in better shape now and a decent thing to see. Downtown has changed a lot. No more clothing stores or Rexall or Western Auto. Now just a bunch of art galleries and antique shops. Wadsworths has moved but still the same old place, albeit smaller. And Izzy Feltensteins taxi/Bus Station is gone.

How long was he in town and how long since he's been gone? Would love to talk to him if he has any history.

Hope you have a great time.

Old 07-01-2010, 09:22 AM

Default Update

Just wanted to update on our trip.....
We tried to do some things dad rememberd from when he was a kid. On our way up we stopped at Moody's. Planned our trip around the pot roast on Mondays! Went to the prison store at Thomaston and to Owls Lighthouse which was closed for renovations but such a pretty hike. To Rockland to find the original Rockland High dad taught at on Lincoln St and my parents first apartment. Then off to Perry's Nuthouse in Belfast and talked about how different it was from when dad and even I was a kid. Past Buck's tomb stone with the leg on it. Dad remembers being afraid of the Franklin Woods in the middle of the night. They used to drive up from MA going 40 miles an hour and it took all day and night.
We stopped in Machias for dinner at Helen's and dad got a kick out of the fact they were celebrating their 60th anniversary as is he this year with my mom.
When we got to Eastport we stayed at Harris Point Cabins as we have over the years. I was last there 30 years ago I realized!!! Just a teenager then. We always stay in the cabins as rustic as they are not only for the amazing views, but also the history of them all. The boys loved exploring the water and creatures. Then to the WaCo diner for breakfast which dad remembers too. Found out dad's great uncle's Camicks pharmacy and soda fountain are now Wadsworths. His great uncle Lewis Stoddards candy store at the end of Water has been torn down. Dad was thrilled to see Berman's still had the name on it. His aunts worked there.
The battry field where dad went to carnivals and circuses now has the elementary school in it. Went by Broadway St where my great great grandfather's Andrews house was. He had a cartage business with horse and wagon but the barn is gone now. Also by the Barracks museum which was closed. Bummer because it was my great grandparents first home when it was a 2 family and I was looking forward to going inside.
Had trouble seeing Grady house with all the trees grown up.
Looked for the old rail station (torn down) my dads great uncle Jim Andrews worked for and found the old tracks by Rayes mustard. The kids got a kick out of the mustard factory even though it wasn't running. The folks in there were so nice. Off to Shackford Head St Park for a hike.
Then went to Cutler where my great grandfather was orphaned. It sure was beautiful in that little harbor. We went by Fort O'Brien and then home by way of I95 for a faster trip home! Made plans for things we'd like to do next time we take a trip up Rt 1. I'd welcome any suggestions too!

Old 07-01-2010, 10:02 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,971,531 times
We live in the old Berman house on Boynton St. The Barracks Museum is open from Thursday to Sunday. Sorry I missed you all.

Old 07-01-2010, 01:10 PM

3,036 posts, read 5,884,828 times
Moxie, it sounds like you folks had a great trip around. Glad you enjoyed it. Now, don't be a stranger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine