Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2008, 07:52 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,424,082 times

Advertisements

"In this weather, soup would be great...." (forgive me for snickering!) Our high for the day is 93. YUCK!!!

I make a homemade tomatoe soup by stewing peeled tomatoes for a while in a low amount of water with chicken boullion in it. I like to add chopped onions or leeks, diced bacon, onion & garlic powder and fresh basil.

We also have a family recipe for "tomato bread" where you would you'd add torn up bread to the finished soup until you get the consistency you like. YUM!!

Old 08-29-2008, 08:01 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,544,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
"In this weather, soup would be great...." (forgive me for snickering!) Our high for the day is 93. YUCK!!!

I make a homemade tomatoe soup by stewing peeled tomatoes for a while in a low amount of water with chicken boullion in it. I like to add chopped onions or leeks, diced bacon, onion & garlic powder and fresh basil.

We also have a family recipe for "tomato bread" where you would you'd add torn up bread to the finished soup until you get the consistency you like. YUM!!
Yummy! I think I have all of those ingredients. Seems like there's a quart of chicken stock in the freezer. The leeks and basil are still in the garden. Thanks!

It's 58* and I've been out in the garden the rain most of the morning. I've cut cabbage and picked cucumbers, zucchini, bell and jalapeno peppers, and tomatoes from the greenhouses. It isn't a cold rain so I don't mind but another cup of coffee is going to be good. I keep looking at the tomatoes on the counter and thinking "elcarim's soup is gonna be good."

Old 08-29-2008, 09:19 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,364,080 times
Too hot here for soup too. Later in the fall though I will be making green chile stew. Bought 30 lbs of green chile, had them roasted and they're in the freezer. Yum.

Bought and froze some corn on the cob also.

I was out checking the graps this a.m., Yes I did miss some. LOL
Noticed the big rosebush out back is loaded with buds. I can't wait til we are in a place of our own and I am going to have lots of rosebushes. Might even have a small garden too.

Old 08-29-2008, 10:34 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,753,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fort Lauderdale mermaid View Post
Good morning from the beautiful state of Maine to my wonderful forum family!!!!

It's been so nice being home for the last couple days. I've been hanging out with my kids and seeing some old friends in Brunswick.

I'm headed upta' the island today!

I can't wait to see my parents and my sibs, aunts, uncles, cousins, nieces & nephews!

I'm just so damn happy to be here! Life is good, folks. Life is good!

Wishing you all a wonderful holiday weekend! I hope you all get to be with your familys too and enjoy each others company this weekend.

Have a wonderful visit, Mermaid!
Wishing you fair skies, sunny days and comfortable temps.
Your happiness is contagious

Old 08-30-2008, 05:57 AM

1,698 posts, read 3,338,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
make wine? My daughter's in-laws have been growing grapes and making wine for decades. But then, they're very good with gardens and home preservation. The extended family comes together to work on things.
I enjoy a glass of red with a meal from time to time. After I got out of college and learned about how red is good for you... I try to get one glass a month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fort Lauderdale mermaid View Post
Good morning from the beautiful state of Maine to my wonderful forum family!!!!
Enjoy your time! Looks like the weather today will be nice for any and all outings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
Alison that's so cool about the grapes--I'd love that!

msina I admire anyone with a "green thumb" and the ability to work with plants.
Looks like Maine Writer knows we both worship her. (* bowing to the green thumb)
Thank you for all the garden goodies and the soap too!!
I am holding off till fall to put that in the bathroom. It's got a great autumn scent to me that I love during that time. I hope Emily doesn't touch it "to often."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
Yummy! I think I have all of those ingredients. Seems like there's a quart of chicken stock in the freezer. The leeks and basil are still in the garden. Thanks!

It's 58* and I've been out in the garden the rain most of the morning. I've cut cabbage and picked cucumbers, zucchini, bell and jalapeno peppers, and tomatoes from the greenhouses. It isn't a cold rain so I don't mind but another cup of coffee is going to be good. I keep looking at the tomatoes on the counter and thinking "elcarim's soup is gonna be good."
I like this receipe too.

Old 08-30-2008, 04:40 PM

You guys please keep us all in your prayers as the hurricane approaches. We're in the mid-section between the Houston dot and the Lufkin dot on the hurricane tracker maps. It's looking WAY too close for comfort!!

And if it does hit us, PLEASE blow the whole house away so we can move already!!!!

Old 08-30-2008, 06:15 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,544,749 times
I can think of a couple of houses you can move into! I almost think we're supposed to pray your house blows away!

Old 08-30-2008, 06:18 PM

If it heads this way, we're heading north with the dog and kittens and all our irreplaceable keepsakes. The house can blow to kingdom come!!! So pray away!!

Old 08-30-2008, 06:39 PM

874 posts, read 1,855,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
You guys please keep us all in your prayers as the hurricane approaches. We're in the mid-section between the Houston dot and the Lufkin dot on the hurricane tracker maps. It's looking WAY too close for comfort!!

And if it does hit us, PLEASE blow the whole house away so we can move already!!!!
Stay safe. You are in my prayers.

Old 08-30-2008, 06:45 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,384,753 times
Prayers said, stay safe and let us know you're okay please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine