Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 08:11 AM

104 posts, read 260,145 times

Advertisements

Personally folks I think that 'poor' and Maine in one sentence is a lingering stereotype that has been outdated for who knows how long. My parents used to go to Maine from Mass back in the 60's and 70's. The rural nature of Maine and the lack oh highway miles back then really burned an impression into their minds that lingers to this day. Though I have managed to entirely change my mother's point of view by bringing her to Portland and Bar Harbor and all the towns between. She loves Camden.

When I go to Maine I dont see poor people. I see people that have a simpler and much healthier life than most of America. You may be traveling a little bit further to get to those corporate retail stores but that's about it. From what I hear Maine Medical Center is in fact a fine hospital. So many Mainers seem to be self employed. The food is fantastic everywhere. The amount of creativity for such a small place is staggering and Mainers have a great self reliant can-do way about them(which I think are HUGE ASSETS) The environment is clean. And faith seems to be quite strong in many many communities. And for that matter I've seen plenty of big fat money houses and cars...

So where is the 'poor'?

I see nothing but wealth- spiritual, cultural, and even material, and indeed the opportunity that Elcarim speaks about regarding Texas.

I am very optimistic about the future of Maine.

Last edited by thenewNewEnglander; 01-09-2009 at 08:14 AM.. Reason: ommission
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 08:11 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,544,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
JYes, this is a very subjective term...."hard life".
I've lived here most of my life and never thought of it as hard. Mainers are hardy stock.

Quote:
I think, honestly, many people are poor. Many people choose not to do any better.....many can't.
Speaking from experience, I agree. I made a poor choice that left me dirt poor for three years. I owned my clothes and a $200 car. I feel badly for those who can't make ends meet through no fault of their own but I don't think there are as many of them as are sometimes portrayed here. "Maine is poor" is another of those blanket statements that isn't accurate. There are too many people living very comfortably for me to believe the state as a whole is poor.

Quote:
But I also think some people have their priorities sadly screwed up. JMHO!
I think so too. We have stuff but it's just stuff. I'm looking out the window at a foot of snow. The boat in the backyard isn't doing me any good now. At least it's paid for now so that we're not sending a boat payment during ice fishing season. We'll have an '09 Silverado (company truck) in the drive by the end of the month. It won't run any better than my '97. It's just stuff.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:36 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,973,219 times
I looked up the poverty line in Maine and in WV
In Maine the poverty line is $17,601 for a family of 4 - 11th highest in the nation.

In West Virginia the poverty line is $10,712 - 3rd highest in the nation

Therefore for a family of 4 - there are 10 states poorer than Maine

Therefore for a family of 4 - there are only 2 states poorer than West Virginia

I didn't look to see what the poorest state in the nation is but I'm thinking it's probably Arkansas.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:38 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,973,219 times
I found it - Maine is right in the middle at #25 and West Virginia is #6 at the population below the poverty line.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed - Percent below poverty level (most recent) by state

Last edited by Yac; 02-24-2009 at 07:27 AM..

Old 01-09-2009, 08:46 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoundtofindME View Post
I see people here who are living a hard life and I would classify them as financially poor. It breaks my heart to see how they live, it's really a struggle for them. ...
I understand, I hate seeing folks who are having a difficult time getting by.

Rotating 12 hour shifts are 'hard' too. Living out of a hand-carry bag in a different time zone every week is 'hard' too.

I have done much harder work for much higher pay; the fast pace and the stress, is a big part of that lifestyle.

When there is no time between shifts to do laundry, and nobody at home doing laundry; then you pay someone else to do your laundry.

When there is no time between shifts to cook, and nobody at home cooking; then you pay someone else to cook.

From my observation, built upon my experiences: A higher paying, faster paced and stressful lifestyle is accompanied by a higher cost-of-living, higher taxes, and higher crime. In my eyes such a lifestyle is far 'poorer' than what we enjoy here now in Maine.

We have had friends whose careers require a different business suit for each day of the month [none of those suits are under $800]. Their automobiles are not allowed to be more than 2 years old, and they spend more than my current annual income on hosting and 'treating' business associates. We have done their taxes, and are amazed that how much debt load they have. I would say that such a lifestyle is far 'poorer' than what we enjoy here now in Maine.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:06 AM

1,698 posts, read 3,338,766 times
I worry about typing here too....
( I can hear cats hissin' and bits of swearin' going on beyond the screen)

Poor (adj)
1a: lacking in material possessions.
relating to poverty.
2: less than adequate.
meager-small in worth.
3. inferior in quality or value
humble, unpretentious.
mean, petty.
4: barren unproductive- use of land
5: indifferent, unfavorable.
6: lacking a normal or adequate supply of something specified.
Well that's the def of it.
So picking it apart now.
If I lost my income tomorrow, I would brush myself off like any hard working Maine resident ( after a good cry)and find something to do in the mean time.
Grow vegetables, tip, blueberry rake. It was good enough to do for my great great grandparents, and what would they say if they were alive when I said, "Oh I can't do something like that.. I'm to good for that.
Anyways.. I'm just raving.
I believe if............ the will is there, you can always get by and beyond.

I have a home, car, two trucks, a boat, a business and it all started from a minium wage job and some college for us both.

Poor is just to big a defined word.
I'm poor because I don't have a green house and Maine Writer does.
I'm poor because I don't have large millary experience like forrest does.
P O O R
I guess I am. But I don't really notice it.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:07 AM

701 posts, read 1,083,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corgis View Post
I found it - Maine is right in the middle at #25 and West Virginia is #6 at the population below the poverty line.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed - Percent below poverty level (most recent) by state
Wow! Thanks for this Corgis.........NC is #12!

Last edited by Yac; 02-24-2009 at 07:26 AM..

Old 01-09-2009, 09:41 AM

12,871 posts, read 22,035,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Forgive me Maine Writer, for dragging your post here to a fresh new thread. I wanted to respond, but I also did not want for yet more posts to be deleted.

Even though Maine is thought to be 'poor', does anyone honestly consider themselves to be 'poor'?

Here is the original post that I am responding to:

I do not consider myself to be 'poor'.

I see neighbors who are much less off than I am. Making wreaths for holiday cash, so we let them go tipping on our land.

We help others with some of our excess food. We have plenty so we feel that we should.

And firewood too.

I have a small pension. I know that in most areas of the nation, my pension would never be enough to survive on, but here in Maine I can prosper on it. and my Dw works part-time.

I see another neighbor raising 2 teens on minimum wage. But they own their land.

We are not wealthy. But we are not poor either.

Once you factor in the lifestyle choices we have here. The ability: to see the sky, to fish, to hunt, to snow sled, to fire a rifle from the front porch. These are freedoms that many Americans do not have.

They pay twice the cost-of-living [if not more] and yet they can not do these things.

I have friends in the DC beltway, a couple, they each earn over six times my income, and to their viewpoint they are barely scrapping by. It costs a lot to live in that urban race. Yet in many ways their lives are poorer than mine, poorer in freedoms and poorer in quality.

Does any Mainer here honestly consider themselves to be 'poor'?
Interesting topic and a good one.

I'd like to play devil's advocate for a minute if I can. Many people don't see paying more to live in an urban area as sacrificing freedom or quality of life. In fact, many people CHOOSE to do so. I for one, enjoyed living in an urban area when I did and can't wait to do so again, even though it'll cost me a LOT more to do so than it would cost in Maine.

It's a matter of choice... what you consider, "freedoms" many (but probably not many of those who live in Maine-or want to- and post in this forum), including myself, consider boring or uninteresting. My family has a vacation home in Bethel near Sunday River... they strategically bought the 45 acre property so it's abutting logging property and in the back, protected land. We can quite literally, shoot rifles form the back porch (and actually have a clay pigeon launcher as well as targets posted on trees). While I thoroughly enjoy doing those things, I would not consider as something I'd enjoy doing, or even having the opportunity to do, on a daily basis. Once or twice a year is fine.

Instead, I enjoy living in an urban area. I like being a part of the humanity beehive. I enjoy having a wide variety of nightlife options, restaurants (of all different ethnic flavors), I enjoy seeing people of all different races interacting and thriving on a daily basis. I love the fact that all sorts of cultural opportunities are at your finger tips in the city. I love that the highest reaches of education are right in your back yard in our nation's cities. I prefer mass transit to owning a vehicle (and can't wait to be able to not have a car)... I prefer having all needs within a 300 yard walk. I like immediate access the the best healthcare available.

I have a personal beef with rural and suburban living. I don't think that rural and suburban living are bad for anyone, I just personally don't like them. I hate the idea of a private yard and your own land... it promotes being "cut-off" which is not something I'm a fan of (though, I understand and hold nothing against the people who do enjoy seclusion. Can you tell I don't have kids?!). I'd rather spend a fortune on an 800 sq. foot apartment with no yard because the CITY is your back yard. I love public spaces.. I love the interaction that takes place on them. I love the way successful neighborhoods work. It's fascinating, exciting, and just all out enjoyable for me.

The life I enjoy is not for everyone. I understand this, and I know this is why many (if not most) people come to Maine or STAY in Maine. I do not, however, think that if someone is paying a fortune (and struggling to stay afloat) in an urban area, that THEY are poor or that their quality of life is lacking. It's a matter of choice.

Same goes for the rural living and those, "making wreathes" to earn some extra coin. If they enjoy what they're doing/ how they are living, they're not being attacked by debt collectors, and they can put food on the table for everyone, they're not poor. If you can stay afloat, be it in a rural or urban environment, AND you're happy... you're not poor.

Finances play a HUGE role in "wealth" and poverty is a huge problem in Maine as well as even the wealthiest cities on earth (just ask those who can't pay their heating bill this winter); but for many, it's simply a state of mind.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:48 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peachie_in_maine View Post
... I have a home, car, two trucks, a boat, a business and it all started from a minium wage job and some college for us both.
You can tip on my land anytime.

Quote:
... I'm poor because I don't have a green house and Maine Writer does.
I'm poor because I don't have large millary experience like forrest does.
If I could keep the pension, I would trade you all of the 'experience' including the ulcer.

Old 01-09-2009, 11:23 AM

177 posts, read 410,466 times
We moved to Maine 6 months ago from DC. The move cost us almost 90k annually in salary. It also afforded us:
1. A life where my 2 young kids are home with their mom instead of in a daycare.
2. A life where I no longer have to spend 90 min per day driving to/from work instead of at home with my family.
3. A life where we have a backyard with grass and trees to play in.
4. A life where my kids ride their bikes on the road and I don't worry about them.
5. A life where my neighbor helped me shovel the driveway because "he had nothing else going on"
6. A life where the guy at the nursery said he'd come identify the plants in my yard so I'd know better how to care for them.

I was far poorer in DC. I love it here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine