Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2009, 11:28 AM

37,472 posts, read 61,423,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
It's you rich guys with 19 hp riding lawnmowers that refuse to pay a reasonable "luxury tax" for having them that is screwing up the economy you know!
A 'luxury tax' is connected to Nanny-ism?

To one person a boat is a luxury, to another person it is not.

A tractor?

A plane?

A motorhome?

I am confused on what makes a luxury, and why should anything be taxed simply for existing.

How does taxing an item because it exists, make anything safer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 11:34 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,675,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
A 'luxury tax' is connected to Nanny-ism?

To one person a boat is a luxury, to another person it is not.

A tractor?

A plane?

A motorhome?

I am confused on what makes a luxury, and why should anything be taxed simply for existing.

How does taxing an item because it exists, make anything safer?
It's an inside joke!

Old 01-15-2009, 12:04 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,204,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
It's you rich guys with 19 hp riding lawnmowers that refuse to pay a reasonable "luxury tax" for having them that is screwing up the economy you know!
Ya thats it.Any thing i can do to screw the economy

Old 01-15-2009, 02:51 PM

114 posts, read 318,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post

You want Nanny Laws to go away, then get rid of insurance companies. Or lobbying, which by the way is considered bribing in every other country but ours.
BINGO, K-luv! Hopefully, we won't have to wait too, too long for the insurance industry to go. At the rate we're going, most people can't afford their rates, and even though it's mandatory to have car and homeowners' (if you want to get a mortgage) insurance here in Vermont, the peasants will be storming the castle with our pitchforks soon. I get a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach every time we get our insurance bill. We carry renters' insurance and car insurance. It's a racket, and we're unwilling payers - something's gotta give, and soon. I'm of the opinion that our elected officials don't want to get involved because it's one big ball of wax and the lobbyists can keep on top of it 'cause it's their highly paid job. Makes my head spin every time I try to think of how we could lower insurance costs or healthcare costs. Am I alone in this? It's overwhelming and depressing all at the same time, this nanny racket.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:44 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,170,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reindeerlady View Post
BINGO, K-luv! Hopefully, we won't have to wait too, too long for the insurance industry to go. At the rate we're going, most people can't afford their rates, and even though it's mandatory to have car and homeowners' (if you want to get a mortgage) insurance here in Vermont, the peasants will be storming the castle with our pitchforks soon. I get a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach every time we get our insurance bill. We carry renters' insurance and car insurance. It's a racket, and we're unwilling payers - something's gotta give, and soon. I'm of the opinion that our elected officials don't want to get involved because it's one big ball of wax and the lobbyists can keep on top of it 'cause it's their highly paid job. Makes my head spin every time I try to think of how we could lower insurance costs or healthcare costs. Am I alone in this? It's overwhelming and depressing all at the same time, this nanny racket.
Your certainly not alone - your right of course, I don't think anyone can dispute those statements - although I'm sure some smart- a**ed lobbyist could certainly "spin" it .

Be that as it may, whether it's because of the "nanny mentality" that many people feel that "you can't fight city hall" or not, until many people are willing to get and angry and stand up to fight ridiculous lawsuits instead of settling for "a lesser sum" or the "lesser of two evils" nothing will change.

I know, I know, lawyers are expensive, but literate people can research laws IF they are willing and prepared to do hard work (and LOTS of it).
This was the case with my mother going "toe to toe" with the state about taxing the boat my father built. It can be done, but it does take time, tenacity, and a pit bull attitude.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:23 PM

114 posts, read 318,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
. It can be done, but it does take time, tenacity, and a pit bull attitude.
Pit bull attitude, like that Good on your Mom! Our elected officials hear, often, from me, but Vermont is a worse Nanny state than Maine right now ever thought of being, so I am not surprised I've seen them do - nothing. People here seem to like the feeling of "being taken care of". Notice I said "people here" and not "Vermonters", which are becoming an extinct breed.

Old 01-17-2009, 08:56 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,170,950 times
Quote:
Pit bull attitude, like that Good on your Mom! Our elected officials hear, often, from me, but Vermont is a worse Nanny state than Maine right now ever thought of being, so I am not surprised I've seen them do - nothing. People here seem to like the feeling of "being taken care of". Notice I said "people here" and not "Vermonters", which are becoming an extinct breed.
Yep. Unfortunately, we see that here too - I'm sure it's everywhere.

I liken it to "bovine mentality" moooooooooooooooooooo

Good on you to let your elected officials hear from you. It gives the rest of us hope!

Old 01-17-2009, 09:33 AM

37,472 posts, read 61,423,512 times
Quote:
On various forums that I habitate, I do see that attitude.

Many folks WANT to be 'taken care of'.

There recently was one poster, who said that she was living in NYC, had been reading and thinking about moving rural and adopting a self-sufficient lifestyle.

So she asked: "what office or service do I need to contact to make that happen for me?" She went on about her need for transportation from NYC to these rural areas, finding housing and job placement.

She fully expected that gubbermint should provide for her transportation, housing, job placement, and to establish her as a self-sufficient farmer.

There are folks who would want for their gubbermint to provide for them all urban services, even while they live rural.

Old 01-17-2009, 12:04 PM

457 posts, read 1,280,640 times
If Mainers don't like the Nanny state, then why do you keep voting these types to office? From an outsiders point of view, it seems as though you like high taxes and government telling you what to do.

Old 01-17-2009, 12:05 PM

3,231 posts, read 7,466,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr1234 View Post
If Mainers don't like the Nanny state, then why do you keep voting these types to office? From an outsiders point of view, it seems as though you like high taxes and government telling you what to do.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine