Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2009, 02:44 PM

444 posts, read 929,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
Yep, I've seen some parents get upset with the teachers many times myself. I kind of chuckle and ask them in a respectful "round-about" way if they've ever spent any significant time volunteering in a classroom.

That often "weeds out" the ones that I know haven't stepped foot in their child's classroom. Usually, the ones who have spent time volunteering, understand what teachers are up against for the most part, and generally get after their kid's misbehavior (although not always).

I'd like to think it should boil down to common courtesy, which apparently, is lacking quite a bit today.
I'm proud to say that my husband and I have been complimented many times by the teachers here in Maine about our kid's polite and respectful behavior. They are taught to take responsibility for their actions. My oldest wrote a note of apology to his gymnastics instructor for acting up (messing around, typical boy stuff). We taught him that the instructor was taking his time to teach them, and that he needs to give him the respect of listening quietly and following instructions. The same goes at school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 02:58 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,170,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txmom View Post
Really? $56,000? You mean I can get a divorce and be better off...just kidding!!! I'll stay married and get a job!
Well, maybe not quite that much $$ from what I've seen, but I have seen way too many "deadbeat" parents not take care of their kids, and I know a few personally that work extremely hard (one has 2 jobs, the other is constantly picking up extra shifts), and wouldn't have to resort to assistance at all IF their children's father would pay what he was supposed to instead of avoiding it out of spite. BTW, these "parents" can MORE than afford what the weekly payment is.

That's what I'd like to see get "Nanny-fied" even more. The state does go after them, but IMO, they should spend less effort regulating my personal behavior, and spend more time going after those who don't pay anything at all.

Oh, how "unbalanced" it all is!!!

Old 01-18-2009, 03:09 PM

701 posts, read 1,083,513 times
Quote:
I'm proud to say that my husband and I have been complimented many times by the teachers here in Maine about our kid's polite and respectful behavior. They are taught to take responsibility for their actions. My oldest wrote a note of apology to his gymnastics instructor for acting up (messing around, typical boy stuff). We taught him that the instructor was taking his time to teach them, and that he needs to give him the respect of listening quietly and following instructions. The same goes at school.
It sounds like you should be proud! It gives teachers and well, frankly, everyone hope.......and I do have to say that it might be worse here due to different rules and regs for teachers. They complain that they're hands are tied. ( but it may be hard to compare)

Old 01-18-2009, 03:17 PM

444 posts, read 929,049 times
Quote:
Well, maybe not quite that much $$ from what I've seen, but I have seen way too many "deadbeat" parents not take care of their kids, and I know a few personally that work extremely hard (one has 2 jobs, the other is constantly picking up extra shifts), and wouldn't have to resort to assistance at all IF their children's father would pay what he was supposed to instead of avoiding it out of spite. BTW, these "parents" can MORE than afford what the weekly payment is.

That's what I'd like to see get "Nanny-fied" even more. The state does go after them, but IMO, they should spend less effort regulating my personal behavior, and spend more time going after those who don't pay anything at all.

Oh, how "unbalanced" it all is!!!
Reloop, I felt bad after posting my comment. I know there are single mothers (and fathers) who work so hard for their families, as well as married couples who both work very hard and have to rely on assistance to make ends meet, or perhaps have lost their job. Assistance is out there for families in need. I didn't mean to minimize their need.

Old 01-18-2009, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Reloop, I felt bad after posting my comment. I know there are single mothers (and fathers) who work so hard for their families, as well as married couples who both work very hard and have to rely on assistance to make ends meet, or perhaps have lost their job. Assistance is out there for families in need. I didn't mean to minimize their need.

Oh I know you didn't mean that! I'm just trying to look at both sides of the equation. I didn't take your comment as "minimizing."

Old 01-21-2009, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Okay my fellow Mainers. What do you all think of the current "Nanny State" of affairs this state seems to be partaking of? Am I off the mark when I seem to see a near lunatic-paced frenzy of others telling me what's good for me and what's not?

Here's a good "Nanny" story Good government – or legislative baby-sitting? | Portland Press Herald (http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/story.php?id=178631&ac=PHnws - broken link)

I thought I heard incorrectly about the law banning idling commercial vehicles...nope, that was one as well.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:06 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,426,048 times
I had an unpleasant conversation with the nurse when I took my son for a well child visit the other day. She started right in running a HUGE assortment of tests that they've never done before, a couple of which really upset Alexander, and, when I asked her why all the new tests, she replied, simply, "The state requires them."

My response....."The WHO requires them?"

Her response.....wide-eyed gaze

I pay private insurance and pay my own co-payments and prescriptions. I bring MY child in for a general exam and immunizations and the STATE mandates the criteria. I politely told her that I understand the STATE having a say in what is done to a child when the child is on Medicaid, but when I pay my own insurance and bills, I don't need them butting in with 9 miles of red tape just so you can charge my insurance company twice what you used to.

She called her "Supervising Nurse". Apparently, I was asking questions too difficult for her to answer....."What is the purpose of that test?" "How do you calculate those results?" "What is the logic behind asking a 3 year old to read an eye chart, then marking his file 'uncooperative'?" And again, "What business is it of the state's what my child does during a private office visit, and are those private records going to be submitted to the state for the monitoring of my child?"

The supervisor better explains that these are the newly "suggested" tests for well exams, and they just want to do a thorough evaluation. Understood, but do not tell me the state REQUIRES them! *I* require that private healthcare remain PRIVATE!!

Old 01-22-2009, 09:36 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,104,828 times
good girl.

I had an incident when we first moved down here and the Drs office required my children's SS#s. Let's just say not only did they never get them, that information is no longer required.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
I had an unpleasant conversation with the nurse when I took my son for a well child visit the other day. She started right in running a HUGE assortment of tests that they've never done before, a couple of which really upset Alexander, and, when I asked her why all the new tests, she replied, simply, "The state requires them."

My response....."The WHO requires them?"

Her response.....wide-eyed gaze

I pay private insurance and pay my own co-payments and prescriptions. I bring MY child in for a general exam and immunizations and the STATE mandates the criteria. I politely told her that I understand the STATE having a say in what is done to a child when the child is on Medicaid, but when I pay my own insurance and bills, I don't need them butting in with 9 miles of red tape just so you can charge my insurance company twice what you used to.

She called her "Supervising Nurse". Apparently, I was asking questions too difficult for her to answer....."What is the purpose of that test?" "How do you calculate those results?" "What is the logic behind asking a 3 year old to read an eye chart, then marking his file 'uncooperative'?" And again, "What business is it of the state's what my child does during a private office visit, and are those private records going to be submitted to the state for the monitoring of my child?"

The supervisor better explains that these are the newly "suggested" tests for well exams, and they just want to do a thorough evaluation. Understood, but do not tell me the state REQUIRES them! *I* require that private healthcare remain PRIVATE!!
YOU, my dear, are going to fit in just perfectly in this state

Good, good, good for you to question that absolute horsehockey!

I asked a question at my child's exam once when they asked if anyone in the family smoked (not the case with us): I was shown a piece of paper on the wall that warned of the consequences of particulate matter on the clothing for those who soley smoke outside. It was a swedish study that stated particulate matter can adversly effect children - in parenthesis it stated that they thought it was the case but they "couldn't be sure."

I asked whether or not they noted on the chart the distinction of those who soley smoke outside or whether the child was exposed to actual second-hand smoke either inside or out. Nope.

Okay, that's neither here nor there, but I followed-up my question with the following:
"So suppose the "State Bureau of Nosey Statistics" were to look at the chart of a child whose parent smoked outside only. If you don't mark "outside smoker" in the notes, I guess they won't be able to accurately assess whether or not it's particulate matter or actual smoke exposure that can cause an increase in ear infections now will they?"

There are lots of "statistics" being tabulated under strict HIPA guidelines which are purported to be of "research" in health statistics. Whether or not they are good or bad is a matter of opinion, but I for one, believe it does happen - private insurance or state coverage. I'm sure names aren't noted, but illnesses are tracked for the "common good.' This can be good in instances of tracking communicable diseases, but it can also be misleading when we are offered "reasons" for increased numbers of this or that disease.

I think it's pretty obvious that children shouldn't be exposed to second-hand smoke, but be that as it may, it goes to show you how some of these "statistics" are gathered.

Last edited by cebdark; 01-22-2009 at 11:40 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-03-2009, 08:12 AM

Update: I'm finding difficulty digging up information on the legislature to mandate toilet seat covers in public restrooms - I hear it didn't pass. Does anyone have any info on that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine