Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2009, 08:43 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,544,749 times

Advertisements

Channel 5 might have something on its website. I saw it on the news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 09:38 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,102,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
Update: I'm finding difficulty digging up information on the legislature to mandate toilet seat covers in public restrooms - I hear it didn't pass. Does anyone have any info on that?
MaineToday.com | News Update: Committee kills toilet seat cover bill

They don't prevent disease... if I could find a link to the AMA article on it I'd post it! I'm finding everything but (er, butt?).....

Old 02-03-2009, 10:37 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,169,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post

They don't prevent disease... if I could find a link to the AMA article on it I'd post it! I'm finding everything but (er, butt?).....
Thank you. Could this possibly be the ultimate "nagging nannyism?"

No, wait, don't tell me - I don't think I want to know.

Old 02-03-2009, 10:46 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,888,747 times
Just because one went down doesn't mean there aren't more These are also up to the Legislature currently.

LD 6 – This bill establishes that “driving while distracted” is an offense that violates the state’s laws governing motor vehicle operations, establishes a framework of standards to define the offense, and gives the Department of Public Safety rule-making authority to fully implement the law.
LD 11 – This resolve directs the State Planning Office to establish uniform state lighting standards for the outside space surrounding new commercial construction with the goal of limiting light pollution and preserving dark skies.
LD 40 – This bill makes using a handheld cellular telephone or a handheld electronic devise while operating a motor vehicle an infraction of Maine’s motor vehicle law. (see also LD6). Law enforcement officers, firefighters, drivers of emergency vehicles, and municipal public works personnel are included in the list of motor vehicle operators who would be exempt from this prohibition whenever driving within the scope of their employment.
LD 41 – This bill is nearly identical to LD 40. The only exception is that it also makes text messaging while operating a motor vehicle an infraction of Maine’s motor vehicle laws.

Old 02-03-2009, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
Just because one went down doesn't mean there aren't more These are also up to the Legislature currently.

LD 6 – This bill establishes that “driving while distracted” is an offense that violates the state’s laws governing motor vehicle operations, establishes a framework of standards to define the offense, and gives the Department of Public Safety rule-making authority to fully implement the law.
LD 11 – This resolve directs the State Planning Office to establish uniform state lighting standards for the outside space surrounding new commercial construction with the goal of limiting light pollution and preserving dark skies.
LD 40 – This bill makes using a handheld cellular telephone or a handheld electronic devise while operating a motor vehicle an infraction of Maine’s motor vehicle law. (see also LD6). Law enforcement officers, firefighters, drivers of emergency vehicles, and municipal public works personnel are included in the list of motor vehicle operators who would be exempt from this prohibition whenever driving within the scope of their employment.
LD 41 – This bill is nearly identical to LD 40. The only exception is that it also makes text messaging while operating a motor vehicle an infraction of Maine’s motor vehicle laws.
Thanks for the info Tin Bender .

Old 02-03-2009, 11:39 AM

Quote:

Here's a quote from the above-mentioned article by Rep. Paulette Beaudoin of Biddeford (who introduced it):

..."My main concern is for the children. If this bill keeps children from getting sick and saves money in health care costs, then we should provide this protection."

I believe I'll send her an email to the legislative address. I'll ask her if she's ever stepped foot into the festering pool of disease that is a typical elementary school this time of the year.

I recall someone on this forum talking about how "nannyism" gets passed under the protection of children. Hmmmm - got that one right.

Old 02-05-2009, 07:30 AM

Here's some new "Nanny-news". Scroll through the comments. Methinks the natives are getting restless.

Bill targets ‘energy drink’ sales to minors - Bangor Daily News (http://www.bangordailynews.com/detail/98815.html - broken link)

Old 02-05-2009, 07:47 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,102,570 times
I'm so glad you found that--I heard it on the news yesterday, but couldn't find a link! Then I sat here thinking I'd heard it incorrectly! The woman (parent) that was on the news, WABI, said she feels that the caffeine is dangerous, and that her 15 year old is addicted. In talking to DH about this and her son's addiction, I mentioned that's really HER issue. "Please make a law that will take the place of my parenting"... is what she's asking the state to do. Anyway, DH wondered if she had alcohol in her house... I thought that was a good point. Does she remove that too, or has she taken the time to teach about it? Interesting, and a very good example of the Nanny laws.

Now I'll go read those comments....

Old 02-05-2009, 08:20 AM

Quote:
I'm so glad you found that--I heard it on the news yesterday, but couldn't find a link! Then I sat here thinking I'd heard it incorrectly! The woman (parent) that was on the news, WABI, said she feels that the caffeine is dangerous, and that her 15 year old is addicted. In talking to DH about this and her son's addiction, I mentioned that's really HER issue. "Please make a law that will take the place of my parenting"... is what she's asking the state to do. Anyway, DH wondered if she had alcohol in her house... I thought that was a good point. Does she remove that too, or has she taken the time to teach about it? Interesting, and a very good example of the Nanny laws.

Now I'll go read those comments....
Agreed - completely. I guess the biggest issue that I have with things of this nature, is the near constant pace lately that I (and family) have to continually pay for the negligent behavior of others. My kids aren't allowed energy drinks period. I usually tell them that I draw the line at having to spend even one moment peeling them off the ceiling were they to drink one. I think I enjoyed the comment from irv4me (sp?) on the BDN the most. He's the one I believe that said "What's next, chocolate?"

I take most umbrage if-you-will at the argument that all bad habits are costing us so much more. Certainly there are cases of that happening (I'm not going to argue there) but there are many more that aren't. Sometimes, rest, a tylenol and a cold drink do more to cure an ill than an expensive trip to the doctor - replete with a useless antibiotic. All I ask for is a little common sense.

Old 02-05-2009, 09:26 AM

2,788 posts, read 8,015,308 times
I guess it's not necessary to take any responsibility for your own actions or take responsibility for your kids actions because the government, the school and your tax paying neighbors are supposed to handle it. Handle it, handle it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine