Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2009, 07:39 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
... Does "sheltering" play a part in the designing of "Nanny Laws"? Have we sheltered our children so much now, that it doesn't "dawn" on them (even when they become adults) that something is not good for them (sort of like the lighting up with a kid in the car comment before)? Perhaps that is another element that drives the "Nanny Laws?" Any thoughts?
Could be
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2009, 09:18 PM

12 posts, read 119,910 times
I moved here after getting flooded out of NH. I don't drive a motorcycle, because I don't want to pave the road with my body. I don't smoke because I want to live to see tomorrow. I pay taxes so others can live. I don't think that is too much to ask!!!

Old 01-18-2009, 10:43 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,169,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMoore007 View Post
I haven't lived in Maine long enough to know whether it is becoming a Nanny State but can compare California a little. Maybe I can sum it up in one word, Nannyfornia. You can't smoke unless it's handsfree, you can't talk with a child under six in the car, you can't use a cellphone in restaurants anymore, you must use a seatbelt on your motorcycle and a helmet in your car. I might have gotten those a little mixed up but there's getting to be so darn many.

Can't talk with a child in the car har har har...helmet in your car...hee hee hee....

I can just envision the year 2425 when everyone steps out of whatever "space age" vehicle they'll have then, in a full protective suit - replete with a helmet that pumps in fresh, healthy air .

It is with certainty I can say I'm glad I'll be dead and gone by then.

Old 01-18-2009, 10:56 AM

701 posts, read 1,083,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
On various forums that I habitate, I do see that attitude.

Many folks WANT to be 'taken care of'.

There recently was one poster, who said that she was living in NYC, had been reading and thinking about moving rural and adopting a self-sufficient lifestyle.

So she asked: "what office or service do I need to contact to make that happen for me?" She went on about her need for transportation from NYC to these rural areas, finding housing and job placement.

She fully expected that gubbermint should provide for her transportation, housing, job placement, and to establish her as a self-sufficient farmer.

There are folks who would want for their gubbermint to provide for them all urban services, even while they live rural.
That's absolutely incredible she needs to look up the words self and sufficient in the dictionary

most likely she has been raised with these expectations and doesn't know any better.

Old 01-18-2009, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitePagan View Post
I moved here after getting flooded out of NH. I don't drive a motorcycle, because I don't want to pave the road with my body. I don't smoke because I want to live to see tomorrow. I pay taxes so others can live. I don't think that is too much to ask!!!

I can't speak for everyone else (obviously, they're pretty "durn" good speakers themselves), but it's not necessarily the fact that we pay taxes that bothers me so (well...maybe a little).

What bothers me the most is someone telling me that I don't have the freedom to do something that affects only me. Again, I'm not talking the "cost of healthcare" because believe me, a lot of that "cost" can be directly related to "for profit" status and too many "hands in the till" not exclusively bad behaviors...

I don't believe nonsmokers in restaurants or public spaces should have to be subjected to someone else's cigarette smoke, but I don't believe that someone smoking outside in the middle of the parking lot should be made to feel like a social "leper" either.

I don't believe that I should have to pay the price for someone else's lack of control when it comes to fast food. I like my french fries cooked in tasty trans fats thank you very much (mainly because I use self restraint when it comes to eating out, and don't do it religiously).

Right now, I'd prefer that the "food police" start paying attention to the seemingly 2 factories that process peanut butter, so I can eat something made with peanut butter without dying of salmonella poisoning (as is the case of 6 people already). To me, THAT's their job. They need to make sure that our food supply is SAFE TO CONSUME, not concern themselves with the condition of my arteries.

Old 01-18-2009, 11:46 AM

701 posts, read 1,083,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
This looks like a good spot to repost my question back a couple pages ago because I think it may apply to this one:

... I see "over-protection" a lot in my own area. It's yet another "societal" thing, but at least in my case with my kids, I find myself saying
"For the love of Pete! Use your common sense!" frequently. I usually follow that up with an explanation as to why whatever the topic is, will or won't work. I consider children a "work in progress" and as such, need some guidance to "stop and think" a minute - especially having to live within this frenetical world.

Here's my query:

Does "sheltering" play a part in the designing of "Nanny Laws"? Have we sheltered our children so much now, that it doesn't "dawn" on them (even when they become adults) that something is not good for them (sort of like the lighting up with a kid in the car comment before)? Perhaps that is another element that drives the "Nanny Laws?" Any thoughts?
I have several friends that are teachers..........a huge complaint of theirs is that the children are not required to take responsibility for their wrong doings. Parents actually get very upset with the teachers! and blame the teachers for the problems and actions of the children.

So we have lots of kids (not all) who haven't had to take personal responsibility for their actions and in some cases feel entitled to do what ever they see fit to do, even smoking in the car with their kids.

We, in, NC have a law that bans certain fireworks (none that fly thu the air) SC does not have that law. Many people buy the fireworks in SC and use them anyway. Is is a silly (nanny) law? Maybe.........but we had many idiot neighbors last year firing off all kinds of fireworks, legal and illegal when we were in a drought! STUPID! Dry grass, dry trees and dry roofs on homes. We are in a regular neighborhood, houses everywhere Many idiots wanted to shoot off fireworks regardless of the potential consequences. They didn't care, it's what they wanted to do..........

This thinking also applies to other areas, noise ordinances were created because enough people chose not to think of others and have respect for others. I live in a neighborhood, houses are close together, I do not want to hear my neighbors dog bark for hours in the middle of the night, I shouldn't have to...........
I also don't want to hear loud conversations in the middle of the night outside my home. People just don't care, they'll do what they want to do and the heck with everyone else..............
It should just be common sense and respect for others, right????

and concerning seatbelts and helmets, it's boils down to personal responsibility, if you don't wear it and your hurt because of that decision, don't expect to have the insurance co. bail you out. Chances are your not going to hurt someone else anyway. But you'd better buckle those kids up!!!! and that should be a law, though I can't believe that there would be anyone that wouldn't want their kids safe.

kind of long, sorry

Old 01-18-2009, 02:26 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,686,915 times
Happiness is a dozen or more kids with inner tubes in the back of a pickup headed for the local swimming hole. It's going out on Saturday morning and shooting cans in the sand pit. It's running barefoot in the summer time. It's riding on the tractor with grandpa.

Government functionaries have eliminated all that and kids are the worse for it. Of course Maine is a nanny state. People come here by the bus load for our very generous welfare benefits. A single mom with 2 kids can receive $56,000 a year in benefits in Maine. Is it any wonder why they come here? It is going to be very interesting to see all the whining and wailing in Augusta as we move toward the situation in New Hampshire. You see, we have the highest tax burden per capita income in the entire nation. NH is #49. They chose to be #49. Maine chose to be #1. Who is #50? It's Alaska where they pay everybody to live there. Otherwise, NH would be #50.

I resisted the temptation to look at this thread until just now, but it's a snowy afternoon and I broke down. (Rant off.)

Old 01-18-2009, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosX5 View Post
I have several friends that are teachers..........a huge complaint of theirs is that the children are not required to take responsibility for their wrong doings. Parents actually get very upset with the teachers! and blame the teachers for the problems and actions of the children.

So we have lots of kids (not all) who haven't had to take personal responsibility for their actions and in some cases feel entitled to do what ever they see fit to do, even smoking in the car with their kids.

It should just be common sense and respect for others, right????

and concerning seatbelts and helmets, it's boils down to personal responsibility, if you don't wear it and your hurt because of that decision, don't expect to have the insurance co. bail you out. Chances are your not going to hurt someone else anyway.
Yep, I've seen some parents get upset with the teachers many times myself. I kind of chuckle and ask them in a respectful "round-about" way if they've ever spent any significant time volunteering in a classroom.

That often "weeds out" the ones that I know haven't stepped foot in their child's classroom. Usually, the ones who have spent time volunteering, understand what teachers are up against for the most part, and generally get after their kid's misbehavior (although not always).

I'd like to think it should boil down to common courtesy, which apparently, is lacking quite a bit today.

Old 01-18-2009, 02:32 PM

444 posts, read 928,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Happiness is a dozen or more kids with inner tubes in the back of a pickup headed for the local swimming hole. It's going out on Saturday morning and shooting cans in the sand pit. It's running barefoot in the summer time. It's riding on the tractor with grandpa.

Government functionaries have eliminated all that and kids are the worse for it. Of course Maine is a nanny state. People come here by the bus load for our very generous welfare benefits. A single mom with 2 kids can receive $56,000 a year in benefits in Maine. Is it any wonder why they come here? It is going to be very interesting to see all the whining and wailing in Augusta as we move toward the situation in New Hampshire. You see, we have the highest tax burden per capita income in the entire nation. NH is #49. They chose to be #49. Maine chose to be #1. Who is #50? It's Alaska where they pay everybody to live there. Otherwise, NH would be #50.

I resisted the temptation to look at this thread until just now, but it's a snowy afternoon and I broke down. (Rant off.)
Really? $56,000? You mean I can get a divorce and be better off...just kidding!!! I'll stay married and get a job!

Last edited by txmom; 01-18-2009 at 03:18 PM.. Reason: ...if I can find a job, that is

Old 01-18-2009, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post

Well, I've certainly heard that "rant" before - many times.
You're right on many points IMO, thanks for "jumpin' in." This is why I started the thread in the first place - to see if I was far off "the mark" with what others are thinking.

BTW, Many of us "Mainers" grew up exactly the way you described in the beginning of your post. Low and behold, we're still alive - imagine that!

Now I know that statement will probably prompt some to regale us with stories of those who lost their lives doing one of those abovementioned things, but in the grand "scheme" of things, many millions more of us are still around - I guess that's the point I'm trying to make.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine