Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 12:14 PM

37,498 posts, read 61,484,089 times

Advertisements

These types of bills and policies get pushed into place in Maine, due largely to Maine's two separate faces. Two entirely different cultures.

One culture is urban, the other rural.

Each of these cultures is unique and each 'feel's these issues from a different perspective.

One culture has a high population density, demands a higher level of municipal services, and by having a high percentage of the voting constituency; their carry the vote. Politicians, Legislators and Bureaucrats are going to listen to that urban group packed into one corner of the state, because staying in office depends upon catering to the largest single group of voters they can find.

The majority of Maine is rural. Having a smaller portion of the voting constituency, rural Mainer's voice is not going to be heard in Augusta.

This is a common problem in every state where one metropolitan area carries the state's vote. The vast majority of towns and villages in those states are ignored. Their concerns are not heard.

Boston has carried the policies of Mass since before the American Revolution.

The San Diego / L.A. / Santa B. / San Jose / Oakland / S.F. Metro-plex carries the state of California [even though the combined land area of those cities is still a tiny minority of California].

Back in Maine, I would imagine that an urbanite living in Portland would see and 'feel' the issues of LD774 differently.

Perhaps there is a corner of the Greater Portland suburbs that does have run-down trailer-parks, so from the Portland perspective grants to up-grade those 'poor' folk's homes would be a good thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 12:45 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,175,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
Maine does not need Government to create jobs!
No it doesn't, you're right, but government certainly does have to make it more hospitable for business to move here in the form of incentives.

Also, IMHO, we have prostituted ourselves as "Vacationland" so loud and so clear for so many years, that we are now reaping what we've sown in that regard - that's pretty much all we have now - the only people who can afford property here now are those who make more money out-of-state.

The average Maine family used to be able to buy a simple camp on a body of water for a reasonable price, with reasonable taxes. How's that working for us now?

The bottom line is that we need to put our "Peter Vigue" hats on an find a way to make Maine more "business-friendly."

Old 04-21-2009, 02:19 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,724,755 times
Well, my cousin in Nova Scotia, who was working out of edmonton, said he hopes to be getting a job at the new gas plant that is coming. he said the jobs should pay about $30 an hr.

HHHMMMM. now didn't Maine have an opportunity for this??

Old 04-21-2009, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
Well, my cousin in Nova Scotia, who was working out of edmonton, said he hopes to be getting a job at the new gas plant that is coming. he said the jobs should pay about $30 an hr.

HHHMMMM. now didn't Maine have an opportunity for this??
Yep - and we blew it.

Old 04-21-2009, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
Yep - and we blew it.
Which reminds me to ask what the major problem with that was? I only caught bits and pieces during the discussion.

Was it environmental, or mansion view-related?

Old 04-22-2009, 03:53 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,584,112 times
Quote:
Which reminds me to ask what the major problem with that was? I only caught bits and pieces during the discussion.

Fear and Loathing.

Old 04-22-2009, 05:07 AM

Quote:

I just realized that's way off topic, so I'll defer that one to the "off-topic" thread.

Old 04-22-2009, 04:54 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,709,803 times
This is Maine related. Canada simply said, "Don't even try to build an LNG terminal because we won't let the ships through." However, they will be happy to let the ships through Canadian waters to a second LNG terminal in St. John, New Brunswick.

This is definitely on topic because it affects the Maine economy.

Old 04-22-2009, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
This is Maine related. Canada simply said, "Don't even try to build an LNG terminal because we won't let the ships through." However, they will be happy to let the ships through Canadian waters to a second LNG terminal in St. John, New Brunswick.

I had heard that now that you mention it. It flew under my radar at the time..

How interesting.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post

The Bangor Daily News has an editorial written by Glenn Poole (who based on MHO and personal knowledge of knows very much of what he speaks as energy is his area of "expertise") on this very topic today. I tried to link it, but I couldn't locate it.

Last edited by cebdark; 04-28-2009 at 08:07 AM.. Reason: fixed something
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine