Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 10:55 PM
RHB

1,098 posts, read 2,150,260 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Have you seen the thread about the Sept whale watching and dinner? Not winter activities, but I'm looking forward to it.

Good boots are a must. I drive an AVEO (ie. a little bitty car) with all purpose and do fine. Last year Bangor didn't bring out the plows until it's been snowing for a while, which ment there was a lot of slush on the roads, and that gets a little tricky, but if you can stay where you are unitl the plows come out the roads get cleared pretty quick. Bangor has cute little sidewalk plows, and snow blowers, so the sidewalks stay pretty clear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 03:58 AM

92 posts, read 226,303 times
I drive a Maxima and I have Eagle F1 AS tires. I've never owned snow tires and I was born at EMMC 28 years ago (and have always lived here). I think snow and studded tires are overrated. I suspect I'll get the new Tripletred tires from Goodyear in the future because Ice performance is rated hugely well.

A little sense helps. Give the snow crews time to do what they do. On stormy days, plan on staying home. Also, brake early and often. We see a ton of accidents during the first few inches of snowfall each year.

I have a pickup truck too, but as a general rule I take the car because it has all of my gear, my Sirius radio, my ham radio, etc. I handle outages and network design for one of the local Rural Wireless ISPs here.

I agree about a good pair of boots and also a snow shovel. The snowmobiling season is also a lot of fun here.

Old 08-11-2009, 08:22 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,663,209 times
We live closer to the coast and see a lot more freezing rain that you see inland. The studded tires are a God send in freezing rain conditions. We have a hill in our driveway and my son would never get his Nissan up that hill without the studs. Often the crews do not even treat our road until all the snow and ice has stopped falling,waiting out the crews is not always an option. We have a 4x4 Toyota Tundra that my wife takes to work on the really snowy days.

Old 08-11-2009, 12:26 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,166,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MingTsai View Post
I'm new to Maine and was told to expect long, cold winters from December through February/March.

So I have some snow-related questions that maybe someone can answer for me:

1. Do I really need snow tires? And what else (car wise) should I know/consider in preparation for the winter?

2. Do I really need snow shoes? I mean, I will most likely have to walk 150 feet max from the parking lot to my office, grocery store, restaurant, etc.

3. What winter-related activities are available in/around Bangor, Maine?

Thanks in advance.
Back in the day when cars were rear-wheel drive, I'd probably say to get snow tires (with cinderblocks and/or sand for weight in the trunk). Since the advent of front-wheel drive however, I've never bothered with anything but all-season radials. I can only go by comparison to what I've driven on for the last 27 years, but I'd have to say that between the care the roads now get during the winter, and the weight of the engine with front-wheel drives, it's pretty easy going. Have you driven on snow before? If not, then studded snow tires may be the way to go for you.

Black ice is the biggest concern for me - it doesn't matter whether or not you have 2 or 4 wheel drive, you're going to slide if you aren't cautious and are going a little too fast. I always find it interesting that some people feel that they can speed right along in any condition just because they have 4 wheel drive. Please don't make that mistake it's easy to do apparently. Also, be a little more aware while driving during the first storm. Many people (even those of us who are well-seasoned drivers) need to get their "snow legs" back...usually all it takes is one good 360 . Thereafter, we're usually just fine. Forest makes an excellent point about finding an empty parking lot to slide around in. It gives you a feel of how your car will react.

A good pair of boots is all you'll need unless you are headed for deep snow. The suggestions of what to keep in your car here are also excellent ones. A good emergency road kit and an extra blanket is always a good idea. I also still keep a small container of sand or kitty litter in the trunk for traction if I get stuck.

Hermon Mountain is a little slope just outside of Bangor - it's great to have a little fun on during the winter. They rent skis and snowboards as well as have a tubing (slide down on inner tubes) section which is also fun.
There are a couple of ice rinks as well.

Good luck and welcome!

Last edited by cebdark; 08-11-2009 at 12:28 PM.. Reason: oops typo

Old 08-11-2009, 03:00 PM

16 posts, read 36,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherplebe View Post
Get the snow tires, driving can be a challenge. You need all the help you can get if you don't know how to drive in snow, sliding into a ditch happens a lot.

Get good boots... arctic type. Many people use muck boots. And a good parka, and emergency food and water for when the power goes out... sometimes for a couple days.
You're joking about the emergency food & water, right? I only have OJ, bagels & English muffins in my fridge and I haven't even turned on the stove/oven yet.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
MingTsai - Welcome to the forum.

We live just a bit North of Bangor. My Dw and I both work in Bangor.

We do not have snow tires on our cars.

I recommend the first time that you find a frozen parking lot, go in it and spin some circles in it. Spin your wheels and lock your brakes, get used to the feel your car has when it is on ice.

I have snow shoes. I live in a forest. I use them when I am hiking through our maple trees collecting sap.

We moved to Maine in 2005. This past winter was the first that had enough snow on the ground to even use my snowshoes. When the snow is thin on the ground so many twigs and rocks are left showing that there is no clear advantage to using snow shoes. The same runs true with the sleds. Year after year with very little snow, folks with sleds were not able to take them out. Last winter finally we had some nice snow, and everyone was able to enjoy it.

Are you planning on hiking in the woods after it snows? If not then no, you do not need snow shoes.
Being a city boy from NYC, I haven't done any of the things you mentioned so I'm definitely looking forward to trying them all.

Thanks for the info.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClownShoes View Post
I tried to walk in waist deep snow last year and couldn't make it 30 feet.

What'll you do if you're heading home in a blizzard and get stuck 200 feet from your house?

Snow shoes are just like car insurance, it's better to have than have not.
Okay, so what do snow shoes look like. Please indulge my ignorance.

I saw a pair of fur line boots for SALE at the sporting goods store downtown (Main Street) and they're in my size. Are those snow shoes? Do men wear fur lined shoes?

Old 08-11-2009, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Some people keep snowshoes in their trunk along with road flares, a blanket or two, some ice (water packets freeze and stay frozen in a trunk) a candy bar or two, a flashlight, pair of socks, hat, mittens etc. Should you become stuck on a country road in a bad storm you're probably much better off to stay with your car than to try and walk to help anyway.
Aiyay yayay yayay!

I live close to downtown, off of Hammond Street. But I do plan to do some traveling/driving so these suggestions are great.

Gotta go to Walmart to stock up on Sneaker bars.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
Back in the day when cars were rear-wheel drive, I'd probably say to get snow tires (with cinderblocks and/or sand for weight in the trunk). Since the advent of front-wheel drive however, I've never bothered with anything but all-season radials. I can only go by comparison to what I've driven on for the last 27 years, but I'd have to say that between the care the roads now get during the winter, and the weight of the engine with front-wheel drives, it's pretty easy going. Have you driven on snow before? If not, then studded snow tires may be the way to go for you.

Black ice is the biggest concern for me - it doesn't matter whether or not you have 2 or 4 wheel drive, you're going to slide if you aren't cautious and are going a little too fast. I always find it interesting that some people feel that they can speed right along in any condition just because they have 4 wheel drive. Please don't make that mistake it's easy to do apparently. Also, be a little more aware while driving during the first storm. Many people (even those of us who are well-seasoned drivers) need to get their "snow legs" back...usually all it takes is one good 360 . Thereafter, we're usually just fine. Forest makes an excellent point about finding an empty parking lot to slide around in. It gives you a feel of how your car will react.

A good pair of boots is all you'll need unless you are headed for deep snow. The suggestions of what to keep in your car here are also excellent ones. A good emergency road kit and an extra blanket is always a good idea. I also still keep a small container of sand or kitty litter in the trunk for traction if I get stuck.

Hermon Mountain is a little slope just outside of Bangor - it's great to have a little fun on during the winter. They rent skis and snowboards as well as have a tubing (slide down on inner tubes) section which is also fun.
There are a couple of ice rinks as well.

Good luck and welcome!
Thanks for the info on the tires and Hermon Mountain. Will definitely look into those.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:40 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,822,753 times
I too just use good all season tires in snow country. Using snow tires all yearround would not be a good idea as they are softer and will wear quickly in the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine